Lt. Commander
# 1 Power Siphons
04-22-2012, 08:12 PM
They suck.

There are too many of them and they can be spawned entirely too quickly. What are the chances of getting some kind of cap on just how much they can drain? Maybe each drone can take a set amount from each system or something. Whatever the case, their limitless drain takes too much too quickly to make sense.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
They suck.

There are too many of them and they can be spawned entirely too quickly. What are the chances of getting some kind of cap on just how much they can drain? Maybe each drone can take a set amount from each system or something. Whatever the case, their limitless drain takes too much too quickly to make sense.
Even with Power Insulators? If so, that's bad, considering Target Shields 3 dropped from 40 to 9 drain with 6 points in PI and the Borg Deflector.

I don't FvK often, and I face power drain carriers very infrequently, so I don't know much about this...
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-22-2012, 10:31 PM
arent they fun? i hate those siphon drones. if you have no opinion about them you haven't had 1 or 2 of them cut you energy in half instantly, allowing the other 5-20 drones to catch up. shutting down indefinitely until you are killed.

i was in a match with you to day were you congratulated the siphons on their victory, or something like that

what needs to be done to fix them-

insulators working against them, they don't

insulators capping how low they can drain you. their drain isn't a temporary 15 second ability, it doesn't end.

what could also be done to fix them-

make them unique, can only have 1 hanger worth

limit their launch numbers, or increase cooldown

*oh and make them explode after 15 seconds of siphoning. that's more then fair, permanent shutdown bad.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-23-2012, 03:59 AM
2 per hangar stead of the 3 now.
a min cap of 10 energy on siphoned ship.
increasing cd (but not too much). too high cd would render the carrier, not a carrier, just a normal ship with beams/cannons.
fix insulators more (use asbestos)
slow down siphon rate (so the siphoned has a chance to shoot all siphons b4 running outta power)

although there are hard counters to siphons, faw, csv
softcore counters, Torpspread, evasive out, battery out, target and shoot drones.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-23-2012, 04:31 AM
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

I was in a PvP last night with siphons flying all over, what can you do, i know it sucks, but just have to deal with it for now. Soon it will be something else, and so on, I'm not bothered any more
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2012, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus_arctos View Post
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

I was in a PvP last night with siphons flying all over, what can you do, i know it sucks, but just have to deal with it for now. Soon it will be something else, and so on, I'm not bothered any more
qft.executable
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2012, 04:43 AM
What a load of hogwash.

Theres nothing OP about power siphons, they move REALLY slowly and do not go to full impulse like fighters. They can be easily outrun and/or killed with AOE such as torp spread, Eject warp plasma, Scatter volley, FAW and grav well to name some.

They do not siphon a signigicant amount of power unless used with the following:

ACETON ASSIMILATOR / TYKENS & PLASMONIC LEECH, With Tet Glider and Polaron Weps. - The player must also spec into the relevant skills. This is a build that only works well if it is DEDICATED to power drain.

Slapping siphons on a carrier and thinking you will be leaving players dead in the water is a fantasy.

If you CANNOT beat a power drain build that has been put together with many hours practice / respecs and testing they it is YOU who needs to re-asses your own build to counter these drones, just becuase there are not many people using this build doesnt mean we cry and stamp our feet when we get our asses kicked by one.

And yes, there is a quick relaunch time IF, The player has stacked flight deck DOFFS. In which case the player has made this desicion in favour of other DOFFs that may aid survivability or evasive boff skills.

I may return to this post to add further reasons why power siphons are not as OP as most newer pvper's would think.

And Yes i may run a build to one similar described above on my KDF char, but i am no fan boy, I am in the favour of balance, which is not adversely affected by these drones.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
They suck.

I'm not sure what to say on the drones themselves, but I'm sure the respective flight deck doff is what is allowing them to be spammed.