Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Aegis, Omega, or MACO?
04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Good Day Captains,

I was hoping to pick your brains about the STF sets.

I've been running Aegis since the set came out, but have started gearing up for one of the follow on sets. Despite reading through the forums though, I'm still not sure I understand which one of these sets are the best for me.

I just traded in my Excelsior Refit with Tetryons for the Gal X with XI Antiprotons and one Quantum fore and aft. I tend to be more DPS than Tank...or as much as it's possible to do so with a Tac/Cruiser setup.

So, I guess I'd like to know if one of these sets is really the standout according to popular opinion, or is it build dependent, or are the set bonuses so "meh" that a mix of the sets gives you better bang for your buck. Every thread I read leans me one way or another. Also, I know that the latest patch changed the values a bit, so I was also hoping to refresh the discussion since I'm not certain the older threads are vaild anymore.

Thanks for your input!

BTW, I'm running mostly STFs now, so I've temporarily put PvP aside, if that factors into the discussion any.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Maco and Aegis = Tank. Omega = DPS. You will get more DPS with the omega set then any other set. If all you are doing is PvE, and STF's, I would pick the Omega set.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Depends on your skill point allocation.

With the 2-piece Omega set, I get -29 shield reduction from each weapon. Not that impressive. I have no points in Flow Capacitors.

I have the 2-piece MACO set (shields and deflectors), as I find the defense capabilities and the set bonus more useful than the bump in accuracy and the tetryon glider.

I use the Omega engines, because of the shorter Transwarp cooldown and better turn radius.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook-Yang
Depends on your skill point allocation.

With the 2-piece Omega set, I get -29 shield reduction from each weapon. Not that impressive. I have no points in Flow Capacitors.

I have the 2-piece MACO set (shields and deflectors), as I find the defense capabilities and the set bonus more useful than the bump in accuracy and the tetryon glider.

I use the Omega engines, because of the shorter Transwarp cooldown and better turn radius.
I find Omega better at sustained combat due to the 221 shield regen on my advanced escort vs. 152 for the MACO equivalents. MACO defends better at big alpha strikes due to the 5% damage absorbtion and 10% energy damage reduction, but otherwise, its slower recharge makes MACO more dependent on BO shield regeneration abilities (EPtS, TSS, Sci-Team, etc.).

Omega used to have OP'd shield drain rates at -37, but as of now I only get -10 shield drain per weapon shot at maxxed +9 Flow Capacitors. However, this -10 shield drain triggers per weapon hit (tested extensively), so they will strain enemy shields with slow recovery rates.

As mentioned above, MACO works best on Cruisers and Sci ships with lots of shield-regen BO abilities, while Omega favors fast attack escorts that hit/run.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-24-2012, 12:53 AM
3 piece Borg set (console+deflector+engine) and the M.A.C.O shields =tanking, survivability

or mix it with 2 piece Borg set (console+deflector) and omega shield and engines= +dmg, survivability

or 2 piece borg set (console+engines) and maco shield and deflector = +HP, +shieldpoints, tanking

all 3 variants are better than a pure 1 set strategy


even aegis engine+shield and the 2 pieces borg are viable and a competative setup. i use it on my shuttle


As you can see, and that is not my opinion, borg set is still best set. and not only for the console alone
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-24-2012, 12:59 AM
Sector space warp speed needn't factor into the decision to use an engine or not, since you can just swap in the Borg engines for sector space travel and then swap back to your combat engine.

And yeah, getting two 2/3 set bonuses is preferable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-24-2012, 01:40 AM
I use the Aegis engine & deflector but use the Borg shield, as it's regeneration rate is superior. Probably not the most effective setup but I haven't got any of the maco or omega set yet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar487
I find Omega better at sustained combat due to the 221 shield regen on my advanced escort vs. 152 for the MACO equivalents. MACO defends better at big alpha strikes due to the 5% damage absorbtion and 10% energy damage reduction, but otherwise, its slower recharge makes MACO more dependent on BO shield regeneration abilities (EPtS, TSS, Sci-Team, etc.).

Omega used to have OP'd shield drain rates at -37, but as of now I only get -10 shield drain per weapon shot at maxxed +9 Flow Capacitors. However, this -10 shield drain triggers per weapon hit (tested extensively), so they will strain enemy shields with slow recovery rates.

As mentioned above, MACO works best on Cruisers and Sci ships with lots of shield-regen BO abilities, while Omega favors fast attack escorts that hit/run.
I guess I don't see much value in ~70 more shield regen every 6 seconds. I'd prefer the 10% reduction in energy damage and the 5% absorption.

Did they nerf the Omega set again? I recall that I had -29 shield drain before and after the first nerf, and, again, I have no points in Flow Capacitors.

I also like the 2-set bonus of the MACO set which is the +5% Power Recharge Speed. Which, I think, reduces the cool down by, no?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook-Yang
I guess I don't see much value in ~70 more shield regen every 6 seconds. I'd prefer the 10% reduction in energy damage and the 5% absorption.
I notice the extra regen when fighting borg in Elite STF's... their Tachyon beams routinely drained all shields, followed by big 80k+ plasma torp criticals. Shield base regen rates are directly multiplied by EPtS, so high base regen shields recover much faster than low versions. Once I switched from MACO to Omega, I immediately noticed Omega's better sustained damage mitigation in a prolonged fire-fight. MACO can survive bigger single hits but has problems recovering after all shield facings are drained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook-Yang
Did they nerf the Omega set again? I recall that I had -29 shield drain before and after the first nerf, and, again, I have no points in Flow Capacitors.
EDIT: I have maxxed flow capacitors, and at full 125/100 weapon power, it still drains -37 shields per facing per hit. Power Insulators are supposed to work now, so they will provide some protection against TG. However, I haven't seen any direct nerf to Tetryon Glider in this patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook-Yang
I also like the 2-set bonus of the MACO set which is the +5% Power Recharge Speed. Which, I think, reduces the cool down by, no?
No, all weapon cooldowns remain the same, but the 5% power recharge level does increase DPS ever so slightly after the initial shot, but the net gain is quite small. Omega's shield drain effect adds a lot more total DPS.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
04-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar487
I notice the extra regen when fighting borg in Elite STF's... their Tachyon beams routinely drained all shields, followed by big 80k+ plasma torp criticals. Shield base regen rates are directly multiplied by EPtS, so high base regen shields recover much faster than low versions. Once I switched from MACO to Omega, I immediately noticed Omega's better sustained damage mitigation in a prolonged fire-fight. MACO can survive bigger single hits but has problems recovering after all shield facings are drained.



I have maxxed flow capacitors, and I only see -10 energy drain per weapon in the current patch (used to be -37). In all honesty, Tetryon Glider did need the nerf since it applied its effect to all shield facings each hit (easily adding more than +74 DPS vs. shields per energy weapon present).



No, all weapon cooldowns remain the same, but the 5% power recharge level does increase DPS ever so slightly after the initial shot, but the net gain is quite small. Omega's shield drain effect adds a lot more total DPS.
I will need to grind some more for the prototype engines and shields. I just got the mk xii MACO shields and deflector dish. I don't usually have that much problem in Elite STF, as long as I attack the cube's blind spots (above and below the cubes). Do you also find the Omega shields more useful in PvP?

As for the power recharge, I had thought that it increase the recovery rate of my power levels initially. But, then I noticed that, when I open the abilities window and hover over each ability, the cool down was shorter than it should be (usually by about 2 seconds). I'm not sure what caused this, so I had guessed that maybe it was the MACO 2-piece set.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47 PM.