Lt. Commander
# 1 Missing (Black) Textures
05-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Since the last game patch, I have been missing textures on several ship models and in some environments. I have a screen shot posted showing an example HERE

Its not just the hull plate note the phaser strip, deflector glow, and engine glow textures. I have attempted to adjust all the various video settings and force verifyed my download to check for corruption. Nothing has worked.

I will note that this problem does not occur with "most" of the store bought ships for some reason.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

All drivers current. And as noted it began after the recent patch to add in the carrier.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Turn off DX11 beta in trouble shooting. That's what's causing that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
Turn off DX11 beta in trouble shooting. That's what's causing that.
False. This is not caused by DX 11 Beta. I just tested it now and had done so previously. Thanks anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 4 This is a huge issue!
05-10-2012, 02:25 AM
I also have this graphical issue!, I notice it alot on Drozana (mainly in the joining corridors, on the ground around the doors), I also noticed this ALOT when replaying the Dividian FE's, when going back in time and having the TOS look, in the rooms you can hide in if you have to fight your way through, those rooms for me are just a mass of empty texture "black/missing".
Also on board the TOS Enterprise bridge "mainly on the Engineering and Crew decks".

The ESD Admirals office seems to have been fixed though!

I'm really confused to why there isn't any Cryptic team responses, atleast some sort of response of what could be the issue? "my computer? or is it the STO server?"

R.J.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-10-2012, 04:24 AM
It's not every person or every computer/graphics card combination so until somebody posts some actual dxdiag info, I am sure tech support will be unwilling to commit to a solution/possible cause.

There is a known issue with some of the model geometries that result in the game leaving a blank space instead of applying a texture. There was going to be a process of sweeping through the objects and correcting the geometries but not sure if this has been done yet or if it has been postponed. See this thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=261497
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2012, 06:25 AM
I do believe they are still in the process of migrating all the textures and engine from dx9 to dx11, season 6 might include more updates as its a core engine update for their tech that's coming up. Will need a dev to confirm if they are aware of the issue that you are having on both dx versions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey guys, I've talked about this issue before, but I'll recap.

These are not missing textures. The textures are there. The issue is with the normals of a given triangle. There was an error in our exporter a while back, that created bad normals for some of our geometry. That error has since been corrected, but many of the models exported during that time suffer from this issue.

We have been working to correct these as we can find them. We were attempting to find some way to automate the process so that we could get it done more quickly, but that has failed, and we are left to do this by hand, one set of models at a time.

As such, that takes some time. In addition, the models I have reprocessed have mostly been in Branch 20, which you won't see until Season 6.
I know this is annoying, and please keep posting WHERE you are finding these issues so that we can continue to hunt these buggers down and fix everything we can.

I'll say for the record I've personally reprocessed Drozana, the Klingon interior set, the TOS interior set, and a number of other things I can't remember at the moment.

Sorry for the delay, please bear with us as we attempt to correct these issues.

ETA: The issue is USUALLY visible with DX11 turned on (which is why we didn't discover these until we started doing things with DX11). However, there are cases where people running DX9/10 have reported seeing these as well. This usually seems to be on ATI cards. Hope that helps.

If you are seeing these, and are running in DX11, switching back to DX9 may hide the issue in the short term. I have also heard reports that messing with various graphics options can also hide the issue, even with DX11 on.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
As such, that takes some time. In addition, the models I have reprocessed have mostly been in Branch 20, which you won't see until Season 6.
I know this is annoying, and please keep posting WHERE you are finding these issues so that we can continue to hunt these buggers down and fix everything we can.

I'll say for the record I've personally reprocessed Drozana, the Klingon interior set, the TOS interior set, and a number of other things I can't remember at the moment.

Sorry for the delay, please bear with us as we attempt to correct these issues.

ETA: The issue is USUALLY visible with DX11 turned on (which is why we didn't discover these until we started doing things with DX11). However, there are cases where people running DX9/10 have reported seeing these as well. This usually seems to be on ATI cards. Hope that helps.

If you are seeing these, and are running in DX11, switching back to DX9 may hide the issue in the short term. I have also heard reports that messing with various graphics options can also hide the issue, even with DX11 on.
I have an Nvidia card and it happens to me as well. I have a few filed bugs on this. Unfortunately, because I cannot see the bugs I have open or reported, I cannot tell you which numbers they are. It should include the coordinates/maps/mission names of said bugs as well as any ship I had which exhibited the problem.
Ensign
# 9
07-03-2012, 06:39 PM
I am getting this issue once again. Notices it a couple of days ago on the NX ship and in the middle of the one of the klingon Carrier, Not the kar'fi the other one.