Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
Why canít all ships utilize 12 Bridge Officer Station Abilities? I donít understand the fundamental design in limiting the lower Tier Starships to fewer than 12 Bridge Officer Station Abilities! Is there a sound reason as to why this was done?

I donít understand how allowing all ships, based on their type to determine the layout (Science, Tactical and Engineering), break the game.

If a Miranda Class Starship were able to use 12 Bridge Officer Stations with an engineering layout, would it, with its 2 fore weapons, 1 aft weapon, two device slots, 1 engineering console upgrade, 1, science console upgrade, 1 tactical console upgrade and weak hull strength; really be able to take on a Tier 5 Assault Cruiser or BOP? No, it would not!

Now, would it be a lot more fun to use a Miranda Class Starship with more Bridge Officer Ability options? Heck yes it would be!!! So why canít all ships use up to 12 Bridge Officer Station Abilities?

I know, I know... it has been discussed a lot already... but... really, I want to know why the game was designed to limit lower Tier Ships in this way as it doesn't really seem to make a good design IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-08-2012, 07:14 AM
You mean you want a tier 1 ship to have Commander level BOFF stations?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-12-2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas45 View Post
Sounds like a neat idea, really. Of course, you shouldn't start out with that -but as you grow in rank, you get access to these powers. It could allow some more diversity at endgame. And even if the Tier 3 Akira with a Defiant-Like BO layout would still not be equal to it, it would probably feel much more satisfying and effective than it is now. The calls for Tier 5 retrofits of every ship may even be quelled.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Precisely.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleon View Post

I know, I know... it has been discussed a lot already... but... really, I want to know why the game was designed to limit lower Tier Ships in this way as it doesn't really seem to make a good design IMO.
For new players its good.

It gives them time to grow into things.

The learning curve is much easier if you have fewer powers to learn when and how to use all at once.

I am thinking it was merely the early design forumula. Kind of hard to change something that has been arround since launch.

Keep in mind too that it used to take far longer to level up when the game first launched.

If they changed it now it would have the adverse effect of lowering C Store Ship sales as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trismigistus View Post
For new players its good.

It gives them time to grow into things.

The learning curve is much easier if you have fewer powers to learn when and how to use all at once.

I am thinking it was merely the early design forumula. Kind of hard to change something that has been arround since launch.

Keep in mind too that it used to take far longer to level up when the game first launched.

If they changed it now it would have the adverse effect of lowering C Store Ship sales as well.
It would have been better if the Bridge Officer Stations available un-locked with your progression of your Captain and the advancement of your Bridge Officers.

For example, you wouldnít be able to use Bridge Officer Stations higher than your own rank. Anyway, now, That you can reach level 50 in a mere 16-20 hours, I donít see the point in slowly progressing the Bridge Officer layout on ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas45 View Post
I mean to say, what would it hurt the game if at some point, every single ship no matter what Tier was allowed to use a Tier 5 Bridge Officer Layout? The lower Tier ships have weaker hulls, fewer weapon slots, fewer Console upgrade slots, fewer device slots and weaker passive modifiers. So why limit what Bridge Officer Abilities they can use when they can still be made fun to play?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleon View Post
It would have been better if the Bridge Officer Stations available un-locked with your progression of your Captain and the advancement of your Bridge Officers.

For example, you wouldnít be able to use Bridge Officer Stations higher than your own rank. Anyway, now, That you can reach level 50 in a mere 16-20 hours, I donít see the point in slowly progressing the Bridge Officer layout on ships.
Might have been better for the players, but certainly not for ship sales and the Ferengi Bottom Line.

Frankly I somewhat enjoy the reward of a new ship when I reach a new rank.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-08-2012, 07:50 AM
It's simple: you can't promote a bridge officer to or above your character's rank. Lower-tier ships are made for lower ranks, so its pointless to have higher-rank officer slots.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-08-2012, 11:08 AM
No, you are missing the OP's point..and he's right.

Pit an Odyssey cruiser against a Miranda.

In this battle, both ships have access to cmdr rank boff abilities in ALL their stations.

Who would win?

The odyssey of course. Why? More weapon slots. More shields. More armor. More everything except maneuverability.

Bridge officer stations should unlock as the rank of the player increases. They should all be 1 rank below the player's rank.

This allows higher level players to use lower level ships in a multitude of roles. For example the Miranda would be an excellent combat support ship because it can use subsystem attacks and deliver torpedo damage or tractor beam support. A low level science ship is much faster and turns much better than the higher tier ones..and although it has less science stations it could be a rapid response science ship.

etc,etc.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
It's simple: you can't promote a bridge officer to or above your character's rank. Lower-tier ships are made for lower ranks, so its pointless to have higher-rank officer slots.
So by this logic starfleet destroys all ships a captain has captained once he reaches a rank that outdoes them? lol, no.

This is actually an indefensible policy. There IS no acceptable reason for this. Ironically, allowing the lesser tiered ships to be functional at endgame would be a huge boon to the game, allowing players not to be crippled by Cryptic's feeble design choices and able to run around in their favorite ships.

I can tell you that if they would implement a manner in which a Quasar could be retrofitted to include additional weapon banks and boff slots, I would be switching off between my dreaddy, it and my oddy. I love that ship, adds a huge amount of replayability to me. Once again I find myself baffled by how this IP has been mismanaged.