Lt. Commander
# 1 6 months later...
05-13-2012, 02:15 PM
So I logged on for the first time in 6 months to check out the latest changes and imagine my surprise when I see the big happenings are re-runs and player made missions (don't even get me started on this). I will take some time to browse the forums and whatnot but at first glance I am astonished at the lack of end-game content or any new content at all. Player made missions do not count (see above) as I didn't care about them then and certainly won't now.

R&D was never something I was happy with from day one and it appears that, for better or worse, we are stuck with that as well or at least it's latest incarnation. Has it really been 2+ years??

Glad to see you are getting to fleet related things. If this looks good I may have to shop for a new fleet since the one I was in fell apart shortly after The Cure came out.

I wish I had something constructive but it's hard to believe it would amount to anything even if I did.

If this sounds harsh then pat yourself on the back for catching on to my tone, as a lifetime subber since beta I find myself sadly dismayed with the current state of things.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Well... If someone who has been away for 6 months, and says there seems to be little new content...

Someone here will tell you that you are wrong... But you aint...

Klingons have a new mission though... Alpha... Best mission in the game ever...

And there is "The 2800" FE... a mediocre excuse for a featured series.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Well... If someone who has been away for 6 months, and says there seems to be little new content...

Someone here will tell you that you are wrong... But you aint...

Klingons have a new mission though... Alpha... Best mission in the game ever...

And there is "The 2800" FE... a mediocre excuse for a featured series.
I disagree. The 2800 was probably my favorite FE ever. It was really fun, and the addition of the Enterprise was a great touch.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Yup, gonna have to argue. You did miss a few really cool things even if they weren't earth-shattering.

The 2800 may not have been the greatest thing ever, but it did introduce us to a number of new game mechanics. Cardassian control panels, space suits and walking around space environments, an amazing prison map, a new social zone (which looks amazing but could use a little more functionality) and some surprizing new behavior out of changeling enemies.

Yeah, Utopia Planetia and the new Odessey-class starship. The Klingons got a shiny new flagship at the same time. All look amazing and have their perks. Both the Odessey and the Bortas have made their splash in the Pvp circles as ppl try to figure out the best setup for them.

If you don't like player made missions, then the fact is you haven't played the right ones. Many of those player made missions out there run circles around the randomized "Explore Unknown System" missions you have to look forward to at end-game. But, in fairness, it is a matter of preference. I'm just saying, if you're waiting for Cryptic to put out an amazing number of new and exciting missions, you'll get a few once in a while. Or you can try some of the user generated stuff that comes out on a daily basis and keep busy with that until Cryptic releases a new FE series. Your call, but painting all UGC with one brush is really shorting yourself on content. Kind of like saying there's nothing to eat, when in reality there is plenty, but you'd just prefer something different.

I'll grant you there's still plenty of room for improvement in this game, but I wouldn't say that the last six months have been a complete and total wash.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-14-2012, 12:40 AM
While a number a player made missions are pretty epic the official content from the devs has been seriously unimpressive over the last 6 months:
2800 Series: Launched with seemingly zero QA undertaken, improved slightly but minimal replay value. Most innovative element was a tile shuffling mini-game. Oh yeah don't expect any more made as they don't have a direct ROI.
Alpha: One single KDF mission which is a rip off from Predators... And based off of that our glorious leader claims the KDF has a full levelling content.
Vault Shuttle event: time gated shuttle mission.
Lobi Crystal Store: yay, another monetized currency.
Dilithium Mining Store: meh, 20 minutes fiddling about with a mini game.
DOFF expansion: Nice but just a point and click mini game with no real thought involved. Can log on nice a month and still 'win'.

Basically if it doesn't directly involve making money for the devs it gets a bare nod and excuse about resources. But don't worry 'exciting' things are on the way... Pathetic.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-14-2012, 04:54 AM
The best missions I've played are foundry missions. Hands down they trump anything official Cryptic has put out.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-17-2012, 08:16 AM
You missed all the good stuff unlucky, couple free ships, new series which everyone seems to forget already, you obviously weren't here for Season 5 and see the doff system which is a huge project.

As I always say, you all ask for far too much right now.

Season 6 is like right around the corner, people were talking about it going on tribble today, so what do you expect them to pull out of a hut on the run up to such a big patch?

The game is only about 5 years old including development and half of you want a game thats about 10 years old right now.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-14-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywiz
I disagree. The 2800 was probably my favorite FE ever. It was really fun, and the addition of the Enterprise was a great touch.
Thats your right... I still think that considering they had more than a year to make the mission, it's a weak addition, and is heavily in the shadow of Cloaked Intentions in terms of quality...

The final EP certainly puts the enterprise in a grand light.

"Theres another ship incoming... It's the Enterprise".
"Hi captain... Enterprise here... Umm... we are just gonna take a back seat here, while you do all the work... Don't mind us".
"BOOM..." Enterprise at 0% HP.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Player-made missions are awesome. Seriously, check them out.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-13-2012, 04:05 PM
hate for player made missions irreleventates your entire post. some of them are better than ANYTHING Cryptic has put out.