Lt. Commander
# 1 A ship interior suggestion
05-18-2012, 09:32 AM
While discussing Rulian Mazan (a unique Purple quality Duty Officer who's a bartender) with a friend, I had a cool idea. Here's my suggestion:

Have special DOffs unlock a new appearance for the assignment givers in your ship's interior. If you get Rulian Mazan, the bartender in your ship's lounge/mess hall now looks like Rulian Mazan. I'm sure the same could be done with other unique DOffs, like Dr. Sibok or Dathan, put them in appropriate places.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Would be a lot of work for them, but I like it. It is easy to create a portrait, but 3D models of lots of Doffs would require lots of work. We might be limited to some of the more unique Doffs like the Ultra Rare Doffs if they ever do this.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Agreed
05-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Would be a lot of work for them, but I like it. It is easy to create a portrait, but 3D models of lots of Doffs would require lots of work. We might be limited to some of the more unique Doffs like the Ultra Rare Doffs if they ever do this.
That's what I have in mind -- limited to a few unique DOffs, essentially like "trophies". As far as making 3D models, I don't think it should be that difficult, The 2D portraits already look like characters made in the Character Tailor. For all I know, that's how they make the portraits -- just add PhotoShop.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bberge View Post
That's what I have in mind -- limited to a few unique DOffs, essentially like "trophies". As far as making 3D models, I don't think it should be that difficult, The 2D portraits already look like characters made in the Character Tailor. For all I know, that's how they make the portraits -- just add PhotoShop.
Sure for the regular Doffs, but still that takes work. The unique ones like the ultra-rare Xindi Doffs would require new art resources I think. These are the ones that players would want to brag about since there is no current way to show what unique doffs you have to other people without emailing a photo to another player.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-18-2012, 06:05 PM
For 99%+ of the DOffs out there, they were almost certainly made via the character creator. I'm pretty certain of that, it would have been silly for them not. I should hope that somewhere the data files input into the character engine are already saved, referenced to the images they generate. Actually, I'd be kind of shocked if the Devs didn't already have something under their hats -- we know they have the intention of making your unique crew matter more, I would really hope it occurred to someone to make some kind of allowance for cross-referencing the static image with the CharGen data right there in the DOff database from its foundation.

I haven't seen the ultra-rare portraits. Are there Xindi-Acquatic or Xindi-Insectoid? Because really, if it wasn't a Xindi that had to be rendered in CGI on the show, there are almost certainly costume parts to make them in the CharGen already.