Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
In the TNG era the Galaxy class ships often carried crew members families and civilians (non-Starfleet personnel). The Odyssey class has twice as many crew members as the galaxy, are these ships carrying families and all that in the current era?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-18-2012, 10:10 AM
With as much automation as there could be in the 2Xth century, I can't see a ship that size needing any more than 1000 crew.

So my guess is yes?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate525 View Post
With as much automation as there could be in the 2Xth century, I can't see a ship that size needing any more than 1000 crew.

So my guess is yes?
Yep I'd agree that there are still a lot of ships with families aboard I would go so far as to say that the ones on the front lines or designated warships don't
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-18-2012, 10:40 AM
duty officers...counselor, bartender, chef, colonist...just a few "Civilians"

families? maybe...didn't see any when roaming my interiour^^
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate525 View Post
With as much automation as there could be in the 2Xth century, I can't see a ship that size needing any more than 1000 crew.

So my guess is yes?
Starfleet ships can work with far less crew then they have. However, more crew means more people to repair systems in case of damage.

As for crews being on ships with families? doubtful. During the Dominion war all families and unneeded civilians were removed from the ships. This is a wartime, so I don't think most of your ships farther from the core Federation worlds would have families.

As somebody said though, it's up to each persons 'character'. Mine would probably use the extra space for more crewmen, and MACOs/ground forces. Among other upgrades and such.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
IN an rp sense, I would let my crew bring their families with them, but make sure they are fully aware this is a Starfleet vessel first and foremost. They know and accept the risk to their families if they want them on board. Family quarters are located near the centre of the ship to protect them as much as possible. But this is only on my galaxy and Sovereign classes. And there are no facilities for them, like schools and arboretums. So most of my crew leave them planetside (though there are a few who have them onboard. Mostly childless couples though. I put those spouses to work in The Bar, or other volunteer positions).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-18-2012, 12:44 PM
If your doff roster are to be believed, there are at least some civilians aboard.

As for the crew size, sure the ship can be 'flown' by a small crew, but there are plenty of tasks that need to be performed. Stuff like maintenance, administrative tasks, housing the crew, boarding parties, away teams, etc.

There'd be enough to do for a large crew.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak
IN an rp sense, I would let my crew bring their families with them, but make sure they are fully aware this is a Starfleet vessel first and foremost. They know and accept the risk to their families if they want them on board. Family quarters are located near the centre of the ship to protect them as much as possible. But this is only on my galaxy and Sovereign classes. And there are no facilities for them, like schools and arboretums. So most of my crew leave them planetside (though there are a few who have them onboard. Mostly childless couples though. I put those spouses to work in The Bar, or other volunteer positions).
canon wise there were schools, didn't you see the early TNG episode where wesley crusher was complaining about not wanting to learn calculus? The schools are smaller but I seriously doubt it would be an issue as individualized instruction would be much easier with star fleet technology.

So from a rp standpoint I'd imagine the bigger cruisers (galaxy, star cruiser, oddysey, etc) would certainly have them aboard. While escorts and samller science ships (intrepid) wouldn't. The nebula might though.

Most cruisers are supposed to be geared for exploration and diplomacy. So the conflict issue wouldn't be an issue, especially for the ones with saucer seperation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
05-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt21
canon wise there were schools, didn't you see the early TNG episode where wesley crusher was complaining about not wanting to learn calculus? The schools are smaller but I seriously doubt it would be an issue as individualized instruction would be much easier with star fleet technology.

So from a rp standpoint I'd imagine the bigger cruisers (galaxy, star cruiser, oddysey, etc) would certainly have them aboard. While escorts and samller science ships (intrepid) wouldn't. The nebula might though.

Most cruisers are supposed to be geared for exploration and diplomacy. So the conflict issue wouldn't be an issue, especially for the ones with saucer seperation.

I know they were in TNG, that's why I made a point of saying they were not in my own ships. Those rooms are taken up with science labs, training rooms, cargo bays, quarters etc. People seemed to be talking about their own ships in an rp perspective, so I was just tossing in my two pence.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindWolf View Post
Are these ships carrying families and all that in the current era?
I like to think there are, in fact the back story for one of my bridge officers is that he is a Family man. It's a nice idea, until the Borg pop us, of course.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:47 PM.