Lt. Commander
Edit: USS Chin'toka, Bajoran-retrofit deep space patrol cruiser fully operational.

Next project - USS Relativity-A, Odyssey Prototype Scientific Cruiser
[Link to ship naming thread]

Over the past few months I've more or less noticed the Gal-R being mentioned as the second-rate choice for an endgame C-store ship. One or two commenters even publicly aired their distaste for the Gal-R as "their pilots don't know what they're doing" or similar statements.

And that's exactly why I'll be flying the Galaxy Retrofit this weekend. I have a feeling this ship isn't as bad as it looks. And I'm not aiming to min-max this ship but simply use it as what it is - a Star Cruiser with Saucer Separation.

I have a certain character for max DPS tactical blasting but that's not why I play Star Trek Online for. I rarely play my Tac now because there's only so many times you can destroy the same Borg targets over and over again. Optionals don't even feel satisfying. I prefer shoring up the new pilots on PUGs and fighting like a mad dog for victory just like a disaster space battle on DS9 TV

I do have a certain love for TNG era ships and especially the Galaxy class which not only served as the vanguard for Starfleet's diplomatic and exploration missions in the 24th Century, but bravely stood up against the Dominion threat as well in lieu of a Federation battleship.

So here's one for the ol' gal, and I'll be posting stories of fails, random explosions and other space drama here over the next few days
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-25-2012, 01:48 AM
It's a really good ship for PvE but I haven't tested it extensively in PvP or STFs yet. After saucer separation it turns as fast as science ships in my opinion.

I'm thinking about installing 3x dual beam banks for elite STFs.

Looking forward to your mission reports
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-25-2012, 02:08 AM
it's not that the galaxy R is a bad ship per se. Only that the oddy does everthing the galaxy R does, only better.
you can argue now that the galaxy R costs 1600cpoints and the oddy with saucer seperation 2000, but for tanking the suacer seperation is irrelevant anyway. And if you remove the saucer sep console, you have a starcruiser that has 1000k more hull and 1 turrate less. And thats what people don't agree to pay 1600 cpoints for.

If you like the design, though not 100% correct (neck part has wrong angle), go for it you will enjoy it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamjumetley View Post
It's a really good ship for PvE but I haven't tested it extensively in PvP or STFs yet. After saucer separation it turns as fast as science ships in my opinion.

I'm thinking about installing 3x dual beam banks for elite STFs.

Looking forward to your mission reports
I used to see the Gal-R in pvp until the Oddy was released, I think most Gal-R capt.s Got reassined to the new Class vessel
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Ah, I've lamented the obsolescence of the Galaxy-R in threads before. It's ridiculous that a C-store ship is outshone by dilithium ships. It's cool that you're enjoying yours though, but I will say this:

While it can be made to work, you won't be doing anything you won't have an easier time doing in another ship. Later on I'm gonna have another look at it to see if the doff system can drag it back up, but I doubt it. That extra engineering slot actually locks you in to taking two EPt-x powers, or engineering team. It's not appreciably better at healing than either of the tactical cruisers, and is just as poorly armed as the healing oriented cruisers.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
While it can be made to work, you won't be doing anything you won't have an easier time doing in another ship.
Well, I'd have a hard time feeling that I was flying a ship class that was as well-defined and with such a history of being the ship Starfleet turned to when all other ships failed, if I were flying a Star Cruiser or Odyssey. Aside from that, there is also the question of how a person who comes off of commanding the T4 Exploration cruiser would find it easier to command any other ship without sacrificing their BOFF setup.

Ultimately, as has been said, this ship is not for the min-maxers to whom a ship is nothing more than numbers and stats. This is the ship for those who fell in love with the Galaxy class, along with all its strengths and failings, who want to continue to be in command of that ship permanently (i.e. in end-game content). There are other ships for captains to whom this is not true, as it should be, and the Galaxy-R has abilities that do let it perform on the level of end-game content, even if those abilities are considered 'useless' to those captains who only care that their ship be top-dog.

I'm not saying I'd oppose a slight increase in the class's abilities, but only a slight one. Something significantly added to a ship already capable of end-game content would invariably lead to either an increase in the price of the ship or a need to rebalance other ships that would, then, be questioned as to why anyone would buy them when a Galaxy-R was around. Neither of these would, in my opinion, be good changes for the playerbase.

Still, a forum's purpose is to let players exchange ideas. No doubt others feel differently about this ship, and I respect their opinions (even if some will not give that courtesy in return). However, I will not join the crowd of people who claim that the Galaxy-R has no place in the game and/or are somehow to be seen as substandard ships. Certainly, I will give any commander I see in a Galaxy-R a greater initial level of respect than I will one in an Odyssey, Star Cruiser, or Assault Cruiser because I -know- that commander has chosen their ship and drives it in spite of all the downplay upon it. That says 'dedication' and 'love of ship' to me, and I couldn't ask for more in anyone sailing alongside.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-27-2012, 05:29 PM
I just topped out my new FED engineer character at the beginning of the weekend. I originally stepped into a sovereign and ended up becoming bored very fast. I remembered I had unlocked the galaxy dreadnaught on my original tactical character, I ran it for about a week but gave up on it because I felt the Boff layout really handicapped the ship. I was inspired by this thread and decided to throw my new engineer in the dreadnaught and try to squeeze the most DPS out of it for his upcoming STF grind.

After doing some math I decided on the best weapon and console layout for the beast. Than I had to re work my character to get the power levels to where I wanted them. After that, I threw in an aceton beam III and a boarding party II, to try and make the ship more offensive. Even though It took me some time to dial it in, I'm pretty happy with the ship now. It will never be as powerful as my KDF engineer in his Bortasqu' Command, but I can live with it. Been through about 20 PUG's already and have been putting out more damage than almost all the other cruisers, although I might have to chalk this up to allot of weekend warriors in the PUG queue.

I realize the ship will never be able to put out the most damage or be the best tank, but I've found it's not as bad as it's reputation. And now with a new lease on life, I get to fly one of my favorite ships from the series and that's just plain fun.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-25-2012, 02:01 AM
I to am a fond fave of the galaxy and after so long of using my tactical, im now leveling my engineer just for the reason of getting on, i look forward to see your exploits
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-25-2012, 02:10 AM
To be honest, I don't really see how it can be that bad - certainly, I still see a healthy number of them and players (who know what they're doing) flying them in STF's seem as capable as those flying Odyssey's.

Perhaps that is because players who know what they're doing are more liable to use Galaxy-R's vs the Odyssey class being depicted/advertised as the zenith of Starfleet design which attracts non-experienced insta-Admirals more.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-25-2012, 02:23 AM
tbh, the odyssey for 400 more cryptics points is a better ship more hp, better shield modifer, 1 more console slot and with all 4 consoles reduces the saucer seperation cooldown and other stuff.

Only thing going for the galaxy is its free after 600 day veteran reward (free ship token) and is 400 cp cheaper for f2p players.

But, thats just me