Lt. Commander
# 1 AJS Mission Catalog
05-27-2012, 09:44 PM
These are my seven published Foundry missions to date, hope you enjoy. Feedback is always appreciated.

Finding Resolution
by
A.J. Stoner

On the outskirts of the Ker'rat system, a moon has drifted too close to its parent world and is being slowly torn apart. A research outpost, established to observe the forming ring system, went quiet over a week ago. The U.S.S. Resolution was sent to investigate but there has been no word and she is now three days overdue.

ST-HDW83F7ZH

LEVEL: 46+

PLAY TIME: 90 minutes

GAMEPLAY: Heavy space and ground combat; Investigation; Exploration; RP

Aries Proving Ground

ID: ST-HHLJQWBUL
LEVEL: 41+

At the direction of the Special Task Force, the Aries Proving Ground has been established at the edge of the Bajor system to help keep Starfleet's captains at the peak of their abilities. It is open to all ship commanders of captain rank or higher to test their weapon configurations and skills.

This mission is designed to allow players to quickly and accurately test new ship builds and battle tactics in a controlled environment. It is accessed from inside DS9. I hope it proves useful.

Hostage Situation

SHUTTLE MISSION: This mission is designed to be played with a shuttle.

ID: ST-HCRET79LJ
LEVEL: 16+

True Way terrorists have captured the Utopia Planitia shipyards and have taken the base personnel into custody. They are threatening to begin killing the hostages if their demands are not met. Starfleet Command needs you to infiltrate the base and neutralize them.

NOTE: There are some extra dialogue options if you have already played "AJS: Cardassian Shipyard."

Mysterious Stranger

ID: ST-HGZJ48724

An ancient and massive ship has arrived in the Vorn system. Heavily damaged, it has begun to repair itself using material scavenged from a nearby asteroid field.

All attempts at communication have failed and the Borg are dangerously near. Starfleet Command is looking for a brave captain to examine the ship up close.

NOTE: This mission takes place in Gamma Orionis so you must have unlocked access to that sector to play it.

The AJS Beta Ursae Dailies:
These missions were designed to provide STF players with a set of short missions for the "Investigate Officer Reports" daily that could be played without leaving the Beta Ursae sector and were a bit more challenging than most.

Bound In Ice

ID: ST-HIZ9VPQY2
LEVEL: 31+

An emergency beacon from a Federation shuttlecraft has been detected, originating from the icebound world of Toron V in the Beta Ursae sector. Conditions on the surface are brutal so a rescue effort must be mounted at once.

NOTE: Short mission, ground combat.

Cardassian Shipyard

ID: ST-HCMKIB3DK
LEVEL: 31+

In an effort to strengthen ties with the provisional government, Starfleet Command has requested that you make use of a new Cardassian shipyard in the Kinjun system of the Beta Ursae sector for scheduled repairs.

NOTE: Short Mission, heavy space combat

The Jaws of Scylla

ID: ST-HH9LK6BOK

A survey ship has detected a derelict Borg sphere in a decaying orbit around Scylla, a neutron star near the edge of the Badlands in the Beta Ursae sector. This ship could contain valuable intelligence; Starfleet Command wants you to board her and secure it before the sphere is destroyed.

NOTE: Short Mission; brief space flight and heavy ground combat.

Lt. Commander
# 2
05-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Nice! I'll definitely play Hostage Situation, because I want to use my shuttlecraft. Thanks for making these!
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by docflamingo2
Hey Evil. A while back you did an excellent review of my mission "AJS: Finding Resolution." After reworking the mission based on your suggestions, inspiration struck and I did a major revision of the project and was wondering if you would be willing to take another crack at it.

Mission Name: AJS: Finding Resolution
Author: AJStoner (docflamingo2)
Minimum Level: 40+ (Game calls it a lieutenant mission but solo players should be at least 40 to try it)
Allegiance: Federation
ID: ST-HDW83F7ZH
Estimated Mission Length: 45 minutes
Method of Report Delivery: Forum Post

Many thanks,

AJS
Federation Mission - Finding Resolution
Author: AJStoner (aka: docflamingo2)
Project ID: ST-HDW83F7ZH

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a much better iteration of the previous mission design. Your map designs are good and many of the battles are still pretty tough. The story dialogue is excellent throughout and I like the way you’ve turned it a little more towards a story orientation rather than mostly combat. I think you’ve found a good balance of story and combat. By the way the mission is no were near 45 minutes. It is at least 1 and half hours, possibly more with the heavy engagements. My time estimate does not include my write up time for issues I found. I base it on my actual playing time. That is not a problem as the mission and story makes it pretty riveting. I would recommend this mission to other players but I would still not recommend it to players at Elite level.

You did go through and balance most of the “Interior” battles on those maps. Some are still a little heavy but most are a good challenge. The space battles are still out of balance. It’s not a problem to have several cruisers but when several groups are so close together the player cannot engage one without triggering at least another and most likely two others it becomes very difficult. Again that was at Normal level. I cannot imagine how hard it would be on Elite. As I said in my previous report and noted again below the battles need to be spread further apart to at least give the player a chance. I am sure there are players who consider these odds as a challenge but I suspect the majority of players do not like getting killed over and over again.

Below are some things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description. Regarding your note at the bottom, if the elements within the mission are higher rank required to play, i.e. Minimum Level 40+, all players below that level cannot see your mission to select it. If you do not have elements that drive the playing level to 40+ and you are simply recommending the player be of that level or above the enemy groups will match themselves to the level of the player entering the map. So if you have a large number of enemies they will all have the same level as the player.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is a good grant dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This is a good initial mission task with a clear start location for the first custom map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
Ker’rat IX: This is a good map design with very tough battles. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-The enemy battles need to be better balanced with the enemy spread out to give the player a better chance of defeating them without getting killed over and over. It is difficult enough on “Normal” it would probably be impossible on “Elite”.
-The post battle dialogue; consider changing "That's appears to be the last of them, Captain" to read "That appears to be the last of them, Captain".

Observatory: This is a great map design with good battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-Consider breaking the “Search the maintenance lockers” into individual tasks with some dialogue from one of the BOFFs after each one on what is found in each locker. This would be more intriguing than going through 8 lockers with the dialogue at the end.
-Consider moving the “Gain access to the control room” interaction to a console closer to the location.
-Consider moving the “Enter Dr. DeLaney’s security code” interaction turbolift to right outside the control room. Having to run back and forth on a map to do interactions is tedious.

Observatory Sublevel: This is a great map design. The story dialogue is excellent and very detailed. I wanted to shoot Franklin a couple of times, which is the feeling I think you want to generate in the player. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-Consider moving the spawn point to just outside the turbolift.
-There are three NPC’s in the chamber behind the “Mysterious Vulcan” that are labeled “UGC Contact”.
-The "Franklin" dialogue; consider changing "we need to build this instillation and get it operational" to read "we need to build this installation and get it operational".

The Search for Resolution: This is a good map design with some tough battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-As with the “Ker’rat IX” map the enemy battles need to be better balanced with the enemy spread out to give the player a better chance of defeating them without getting killed over and over. It is difficult enough on “Normal” it would probably be impossible on “Elite”. Consider moving the enemy ships to 90 degree arcs from each other around the last shuttle with at least a 15km separation from the last shuttle. This would give the player the choice where and when to fight as well as maneuvering room.

U.S.S. Resolution: This is a good map design with some tough battles. The writing is well done. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-Consider reducing the amount of dust and smoke. It makes it hard to see exactly what is happening or the map ahead. That is not challenging, it’s annoying.

U.S.S. Resolution Cargo Deck: This is a good map design with some tough battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-Consider adding optional tasks with hidden objects on some of the dead crew. It would be optional and therefore not part of the main storyline. This would give the player the option to check the crew and see if they are alive or you could add some side story information. It would make it more intriguing as the player moves through the deck engaging the enemy.
-The battles are better balanced than the last time I played this but it still needs a little more work. Spread the last two groups further apart. If you engage one you are now in two fire fights. It is difficult enough on “Normal” it would probably be impossible on “Elite”.

U.S.S. Resolution Crew Deck: This is a good map design with some tough battles. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-Consider changing the initial task which reads "Reasch the mess hall" to read "Reach the mess hall".
-The post "Examine Captain Turrot" task dialogue; I am torn on the Away Team Science BOFF referring to the player by [FirstName]. I understand you may be aiming for a personal moment between the senior BOFFs and the Captain. Just be cautious in the use of this.
-The “drawing power” from other systems wasn’t really a puzzle as there were no clues. The player just had to guess until they get the right combination. Consider devising some power indicators clues that direct the player to select the right sequence of systems. Also consider adding a “Bypass puzzle” button, similar to a “Skip Dialogue” button for the player that just wants to play the maps.

U.S.S. Resolution Bridge: This is a good map and even though it was short I liked the story dialogue and the optional answers for BOFF interaction. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item but it is not really an issue as much as an observation:
-The initial spawn point inside the turbo lift worked well on this map compared to the “Observatory Sublevel” map. It may be just a matter of centering the spawn point correctly in the turbolift.

The Battle of Ker’rat: This is a great map design with tough battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-Consider facing the spawn point at the explosion so the player can see the destruction. It would look better.
-Consider adding the derelict Klingon ship which should still be here.
-As with the other maps, the enemy battles need to be better balanced with the enemy spread out to give the player a better chance of defeating them without getting killed over and over. It is difficult enough on “Normal” it would probably be impossible on “Elite”.
-In addition to the battle balancing consider placing a respawn point closer to the last battle.

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job with this mission and it only needs some tweaking of the battles to make it even better. I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
Brian

This critique report also filed 05/30/2012 on forum posting for: In depth mission reports upon request.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-02-2012, 05:23 AM
Updated 6/2/12
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Fun new banner for Resolution added.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-09-2012, 06:48 PM
[quote=Evil70th]Federation Mission - Finding Resolution
Author: AJStoner (aka: docflamingo2)
Project ID: ST-HDW83F7Z

Thanks for making this list, I enjoyed your mission as seen in quote. Evil70th always helps make people's missions much better.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Updated 6/14/12
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-16-2012, 10:37 PM
I played "Finding Resolution" today and it was a great mission. The map design is incredible. I'd recommend it to anyone
Captain
# 9
06-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Updated 6/20/12