Lt. Commander
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forums, so bare with me a bit.

I recently started a KDF engie character and was fighting along side some of my friends. I was using my eject warp plasma ability when I noticed that if your ship was destroyed while ejecting the plasma, it disappeared. I marked this up as visual bug, but it gave me an idea. I mentioned to my friends that it would be interesting if, in this situation(your ship explodes while ejecting the plasma) the plasma would ignite. I said that, if nothing else it would be an interesting visual effect, but might also make a good weapon. ejecting the plasma and then igniting the plasma to cause plasma fires on affected ships instead of its usual affects. My friends encouraged me to post this idea on the forums.

So, it could really go either way. It could be interesting just as a visual, that your ship ignites the plasma and burns it up when it is destroyed, or it could go further and even become a weapon similar to a mine field or those pockets of gas you can ignite on certain maps. It could even be a weapon specific to the KDF since it would be dangerous to friendly ships as well as enemys.

Anyway, that is my idea. I don't know if this is the right section for this since it isn't exactly a visual bug and it isn't complete a feature request.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-03-2012, 05:46 AM
While this ignores the science fact of what Plasma is, it's also the simplest way of explaining it.

Fire can not be set on fire. Warp Plasma is already burning you can't burn it more.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-03-2012, 06:17 AM
plasma is a state of matter similar to gas in which a certain portion of the particles are ionized. also in space would it not cool down super fast and become a gas in a few sec and that gas could be ignited
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Come on, guys. If we're going to be talking real-life scientific fact, it wouldn't be possible to eject plasma and leave a cohesive trail of it in space at all. Real plasma, if ejected from its magnetic containment, would immediately disperse into ionize gas and at best, you'd just end up making a bright flash on your opponent's sensors, nothing more. And certainly nothing that would damage anything except possibly your own engine ports.

The fact is, this is Star Trek. In Star Trek, they make some leaps around real science for the sake of story (and sometimes, visual coolness factor). The idea of a starship explosion traveling along an ejected plasma trail is pretty neat, and it does introduce a neat sort of tactical element (a ship could eject warp plasma to make itself a less attractive target, since blowing it up will cause collateral damage to allies along its plasma trail).
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Well, it is an interesting idea. I would like to add to it in another way. Abandon Ship, the most worthless skill so far in STO. Why not add Warp Plasma to it? You go BOOM! and a cloud of the stuff expands from that position?
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivyn13
Well, it is an interesting idea. I would like to add to it in another way. Abandon Ship, the most worthless skill so far in STO. Why not add Warp Plasma to it? You go BOOM! and a cloud of the stuff expands from that position?
I'm for it. If you're gonna blow yourself up on your terms, why not make it as spectacular as possible?
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-3Orionis
Come on, guys. If we're going to be talking real-life scientific fact, it wouldn't be possible to eject plasma and leave a cohesive trail of it in space at all.
Well, if we were using real science, we wouldn't be in Star Trek to begin with.

But I love this skill as is. In a BoP coupled with Evasive Maneuvers? Green death.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-04-2012, 12:45 AM
While 'attack pattern: diarrhea' is massive fun and quite effective I don't think it'll be very nice if everyone's ship farted when they exploded!

EWP can be a framerate hog on certain graphics cards (hint, lower spec Radeons) and it's already very easy to spam the entire battlefield with green fart if you get a few ships to do it at once at moderate-high flight speeds.

Unless the 'disintegrating ship plasma leakage' can be made as a much smaller version whereupon it can be imagined as 'warp nacelle leakage'.