Lt. Commander
# 1 Exploding starships, Borg STFs
05-31-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm not understanding this. I'm playing a Borg STF and my ship has really taken a pounding. Fortunately, I manage to escape with a high speed maneuver such as Ramming Speed or a deuterium burn, taking me outside the ten kilometer range. Shields are low and my hull percentage is in the 20s or 30s or maybe 40s. All I need to do is activate some healing abilities and wait a minute or two to get back to full strength. Then suddenly, BOOM! My ship explodes, without having been shot. Sure the hull strength was low, but it was by no means critical. So why does it just explode like that?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Sounds like one of the invisible Ship killer torpedoes that the Cubes shoot, even though we keep getting told by the Devs that they've been taken out of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Sounds like one of the invisible Ship killer torpedoes that the Cubes shoot, even though we keep getting told by the Devs that they've been taken out of the game.
i find that sometimes its actually a high yeild torp thats been "destroyed" but doesnt actually despawn when it does. and those torps will keep followig until they hit you or are destroyed, but if it cant be targeted by anything any,ore since it lost its interactiable 'shell' its pretty much insta hit.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Maybe a regular torpedo was fired just as you flew out of the 10km range? It will hit you no matter how far away by that point, because the hit is registered instantly when it was fired, and just has to wait for the animation to take hold. It doesn't need the animation though if you try to run out of range.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Well, if a torp will follow you outside of the range, then that might explain things. However, I don't see any torps hitting my ship. Klingons and Romulans might have cloaked torps, but the Borg don't do that. Secondly, to be destroyed like that, I'd need to be hit by a large plasma bolt, not just a small green torpedo. What's confusing is that the large torpedoes travel really slow, so it would take an awfully long time to catch up to my ship. Yet when my ship explodes, it's only a few seconds after I get out of range, not enough time for a large torp to catch up. I wonder if something is wrong with the game engine.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
This has been bugging the hell out of me too, sometimes i have 40% hull with half sheilds and just boom, dead. Dont see no incoming fire.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
If a High Yield Plasma Torpedo are instantly destroyed inside a Cube when it gets detroyed it very rarely despawn without any target or graphic. When the timer runs out or you reach 10km mark it will instantly hit you. Let me point out. It's very rare. The Dev department says it is gone, but some people like yourself experience this occasionally.
If I'm not wrong the HYPT on cubes got 50000 base damage. So half shielded with half hull you would blow up really nice hit by one of these. Though it's crit are gone still been crit hittet twice -.-. So changes can be half done even though Dev department believes otherwise. Atrox with full shield and full Hull and blew up like a new year rocket...
Lt. Commander
Both times I hit evasive around 8km out - then ramming speed - I was past 20km!!! both times with 40% hull when I went boom

that can't be a invisible torp or beam at 20km and still moving
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Maybe it's rare for some people, but it seems to happen all the time for me.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyyank View Post
Maybe it's rare for some people, but it seems to happen all the time for me.
If that is the case that it happens constantly I suggest you pay support a visit. Shouldn't happen at all, but we all know how that is Happens to often then theres something very wrong.