Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Season 6 Dev Blog #2
06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Senior Systems Designer Geoff "Heretic" Tuffli shares introductory details about the upcoming Fleet Advancement system in this entry of the Season 6 News Dev Blog series.


Link to the blog.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Love the screenshots!

(possible to sneek a peek at the new admin window? hehe)

Lots and LOTS of info to read over as well. Great post!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-05-2012, 11:46 AM
500,000 dilithium to advance whatever tier that was... Hmmm I'm going to need to start a fleet and recruit like mad.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
500,000 dilithium to advance whatever tier that was... Hmmm I'm going to need to start a fleet and recruit like mad.
The "sweet spot" for fleet size is in the 20-50 active player range. Past that, and while the resource collection capabilities would improve, the bottlenecks inherent in the system will most likely lead to a lot more politics about which provisioning projects the fleet should engage in. Below that is perfectly doable, but it does mean it will take longer for a smaller fleet to progress.

Currently, the absolutely fastest a fleet could obtain a fully tricked out starbase is about seven months or so, and even large fleets I expect will take longer than this. The intent is for this to provide a long-term goal, not something that can be burned through in a few months.

As an additional note, we data mined the amount of refined Dilithium, Energy Credits, Bridge Officer Skill Points people earn on average in a week, and used this as the starting baseline for costs, assuming a casual fleet of about 20-25 players. We will necessarily need to iterate on this as we get more practical data from the system as it is actually used by players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
The "sweet spot" for fleet size is in the 20-50 active player range. Past that, and while the resource collection capabilities would improve, the bottlenecks inherent in the system will most likely lead to a lot more politics about which provisioning projects the fleet should engage in. Below that is perfectly doable, but it does mean it will take longer for a smaller fleet to progress.

Currently, the absolutely fastest a fleet could obtain a fully tricked out starbase is about seven months or so, and even large fleets I expect will take longer than this. The intent is for this to provide a long-term goal, not something that can be burned through in a few months.

As an additional note, we data mined the amount of refined Dilithium, Energy Credits, Bridge Officer Skill Points people earn on average in a week, and used this as the starting baseline for costs, assuming a casual fleet of about 20-25 players. We will necessarily need to iterate on this as we get more practical data from the system as it is actually used by players.
Just curious - have you taken into account the HUGE AMOUNT of unspent Boff SP that STO players who've played since launch have amassed? (I ask because I'd hate to see the final system numbers skewed by this 'backlog' as we spend it into this new Boff SP sink (and beleieve me, I'm thankful we niw have something to spend these ammassed points on.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Just curious - have you taken into account the HUGE AMOUNT of unspent Boff SP that STO players who've played since launch have amassed? (I ask because I'd hate to see the final system numbers skewed by this 'backlog' as we spend it into this new Boff SP sink (and beleieve me, I'm thankful we niw have something to spend these ammassed points on.)
I believe he did. One day, he popped into the DOFFJOBS chat and asked for a quick survey of how many BOff points people had (unspent). The data mining Cryptic did probably gave them a decent perspective as well on this.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Just curious - have you taken into account the HUGE AMOUNT of unspent Boff SP that STO players who've played since launch have amassed? (I ask because I'd hate to see the final system numbers skewed by this 'backlog' as we spend it into this new Boff SP sink (and beleieve me, I'm thankful we niw have something to spend these ammassed points on.)
You mean like that I have about 10,000,000 BOff points unspent between my characters?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
The "sweet spot" for fleet size is in the 20-50 active player range. Past that, and while the resource collection capabilities would improve, the bottlenecks inherent in the system will most likely lead to a lot more politics about which provisioning projects the fleet should engage in. Below that is perfectly doable, but it does mean it will take longer for a smaller fleet to progress.

Currently, the absolutely fastest a fleet could obtain a fully tricked out starbase is about seven months or so, and even large fleets I expect will take longer than this. The intent is for this to provide a long-term goal, not something that can be burned through in a few months.

As an additional note, we data mined the amount of refined Dilithium, Energy Credits, Bridge Officer Skill Points people earn on average in a week, and used this as the starting baseline for costs, assuming a casual fleet of about 20-25 players. We will necessarily need to iterate on this as we get more practical data from the system as it is actually used by players.
um... yeah... that's what Blizzard thought about the guild levels as well... then they realized that people would do ANYTHING to be the "first" - i remember playing 18 hours straight to help my guild be the "server first" level 25 guild on my server.

in the end, Blizzard throttled the maximum "advancement" per week - characters could only earn a certain amount of guild experience every 7 days (Tuesday to Monday) until the guild hit level 24. after that, it was a race to see who could run more Heroic dungeons and gain the most guild experience.

statistics are great, but trying to predict a time-frame for a group of highly competitive MMO players, and ordinary statistics no longer matter. i would be willing to bet that, unless you throttle the speed of the advancement to a certain amount of donations per week, there will be top tier starbases (and the Klingon equivalent) inside 3 weeks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEscaflowne
um... yeah... that's what Blizzard thought about the guild levels as well... then they realized that people would do ANYTHING to be the "first" - i remember playing 18 hours straight to help my guild be the "server first" level 25 guild on my server.

in the end, Blizzard throttled the maximum "advancement" per week - characters could only earn a certain amount of guild experience every 7 days (Tuesday to Monday) until the guild hit level 24. after that, it was a race to see who could run more Heroic dungeons and gain the most guild experience.

statistics are great, but trying to predict a time-frame for a group of highly competitive MMO players, and ordinary statistics no longer matter. i would be willing to bet that, unless you throttle the speed of the advancement to a certain amount of donations per week, there will be top tier starbases (and the Klingon equivalent) inside 3 weeks.
Starbase construction is, in fact, throttled.

A fleet can only do one upgrade project at a time, and each upgrade project takes anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to complete. The total time of that means that a fleet cannot fully upgrade in less than the time mentioned, even with unlimited numbers and unlimited resources.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
500,000 dilithium to advance whatever tier that was... Hmmm I'm going to need to start a fleet and recruit like mad.
At 1 CP for 315 Dil. That's less then 20 bucks worth of Cstore points. Get 4 fleet members to donate their monthly stipend and you should be fine.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 PM.