Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
What is better for your average science ship or carrier: A high capacity or a high regeneration shield?

Personally, I think a high cap shield is superior, because capacity is "saved up regeneration" that is available as fast as you need it (if you use Tactical Team to redistribute). By contrast, a regenerative shield's native shield healing is usually not high enough to compete with the use of a few sci Boff slots for recharging the shields.

Now. I know there are many people who believe the opposite: "Regenerative shields would be better for a sci ship or carrier because the native healing just gives you that extra shield heal you need, and in any longer battle, you will not reach the cap of a high capacity shield using your shield heals anyway. Also, a sci ship or carrier has a better capacity to begin with, due to the higher shield modifier."

What is your opinion on the matter, and how have you come to it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-06-2012, 04:31 AM
If your running high shield power and high aux you should be running regenerative shields. High regen rate plus the resistance combined with transfer shield strength and emergency power to shields makes for a tough shield
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-06-2012, 03:44 PM
You've already got my piece on this.

And a supplement point. Check that other thread :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
how about both?

the maco shield is a great balance of both with a passive 10% reduction of all energy damage...(which is kind of like a 10% cap bonus)

and then augment that on a sci ship or carrier with the capacity or regen consoles.....to fit your playstyle.

have fun kill bad guys!

-horizon
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-06-2012, 03:55 PM
The problem with that is, the + regen consoles are Terrible, not just bad but Terrible.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-06-2012, 04:01 PM
nu uh mav. i tested it. instead of every 6 sec regen its every 5 sec. and 3 consoles is every 4. over time (which is what regen shielding is all about) it can be pretty cool.... that is a 50% increase in overall shield regens. from 10 a minute, to 15 a minute.

gotta have that tac team on standby tho, you'll get spiked.

(btw, this is all old data, maybe......5-6 patches ago. but i think it still holds....)
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-07-2012, 09:21 AM
I use the maco shields on my carrier. They have high capacity, pretty good regen and are resilent, whats not to like there? I also use the borg deflector, engines and console, the set gives hull and shield regen buffs more often than u would think while the maco shield has power conduit to increase all power levels. If u want to tank i recomend this set up. If the regen or cap isnt high enough for your liking use some shield emitter consoles or field generators. If the question was purely on capacity or regen shields, capacity all the way for me.