Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Third Ensign Tac Slot Syndrome
06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Any escort captain out there who has tried to do an all cannon build on CERTAIN escorts know what I'm talking about. 3 ensign tac slots, no cannon powers at ensign level, are you are left with is tac team. 3 of those is a waste (even two is a waste with Doffs), CAN WE GET SOME CANNON POWERS AT ENSIGN LEVEL PLEASE?!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Or change the slot to universal ensign.

Otherwise, I've come to accept the limitation and don't even bother slotting the 3rd ensign slot.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-18-2012, 01:28 PM
How about a CC ability using cannons, like an overcharged bolt that does a little more damage, but has good knockback?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-18-2012, 01:48 PM
While I can understand the frustration, consider the following:


Initial design, and current framework both favor mixing weapon types as opposed to all DHC or 8x Beam Array set ups. It's very possible we were not really intended to use set ups like this, or at least the system does not support them very well (with 8x beams its primarily an energy consumption issue, with DHCs its a lack of low tier skills issue).

Another possibility is they might have considered this Escort role protection.

While mobility is important, moving Canon skills down a tier each now means they are within reach of a handful of cruisers. In particular something like the Vorcha becomes stronger if say CRF 1 is available at ensign and CRF 2 is available at Lt. Now instead of only being able to take one cannon skill, this ship would be able to take two.

Just speculating.


As for the actual issue, I always run a Torp Launcher or DBB on the Escorts with 3 Tac Ensign stations, and only on ships like the FE or AE would I want to do 4xDHCs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
While I can understand the frustration, consider the following:


Initial design, and current framework both favor mixing weapon types as opposed to all DHC or 8x Beam Array set ups. It's very possible we were not really intended to use set ups like this, or at least the system does not support them very well (with 8x beams its primarily an energy consumption issue, with DHCs its a lack of low tier skills issue).

Another possibility is they might have considered this Escort role protection.

While mobility is important, moving Canon skills down a tier each now means they are within reach of a handful of cruisers. In particular something like the Vorcha becomes stronger if say CRF 1 is available at ensign and CRF 2 is available at Lt. Now instead of only being able to take one cannon skill, this ship would be able to take two.

Just speculating.


As for the actual issue, I always run a Torp Launcher or DBB on the Escorts with 3 Tac Ensign stations, and only on ships like the FE or AE would I want to do 4xDHCs.
In addition to your suggestions there's the option of running a beam array in place of a 3rd turret and using BO and/or TSSx. It leaves the same forward dps as a BoP w/the additionally utility of xtra spike on slight turn or debuff.

Edit: Same forward dps in term of weapons layout, it's actually still more w/the 4th tac console.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook-Yang
Or change the slot to universal ensign.

Otherwise, I've come to accept the limitation and don't even bother slotting the 3rd ensign slot.
I support making it a universal slot. Specifically on the Defiant-R and Heavy Escort Carrier.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Meh, DHCs with cannon abilities are already king of the battlefield, they don't need any more love. Plus a ship with no flaws is kinda boring. Pick up a torp launcher, put on a pair to THY1's, then a pair of Conn Officer DOFFs to speed up TT enough to run with just one. Or like someone else said, a DBB and BO1. Stop being efficient and be cool.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-18-2012, 04:51 PM
For Tactical officers on my Heavy Escort carrier I run

CMDR: Tactical Team / APB: 1 / CRF 2 / AP:O 3
LT: THY1 / CSV 1
Ens: Torp Spread 1

Works pretty nicely so far. If I were taking it into PvP I'd probably drop AoE abilities for their single target equivalents... maybe swap around to AP:O 1 / CRF3 on the Commander.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaMala View Post
Meh, DHCs with cannon abilities are already king of the battlefield, they don't need any more love. Plus a ship with no flaws is kinda boring. Pick up a torp launcher, put on a pair to THY1's, then a pair of Conn Officer DOFFs to speed up TT enough to run with just one. Or like someone else said, a DBB and BO1. Stop being efficient and be cool.
I agree. DHC are WAY too overpowered as it is already. My advice is to use the ensign slot for either Torpedo High Yeild, or Torpedo Spread with your Tac team. Alternatly, you could equip a beam array, and use any of the 4 target subsystems, Beam Overload, or Fire at Will.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-18-2012, 06:34 PM
I'd suggest they give out a more defensive power. Perhaps
Rotate shield frequencies- Provides a really minor shield regeneration, redistribute, and shield resist for a few seconds.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 PM.