Captain
step 1: Visit the c-store website and find something that you like.

step 2: Click to buy c-points.

Step 3: You are taken to a site where you can buy "Zen."

Step 4: You must grab a calculator to figure out how many Zen points you need to buy, in order to have enough C-points to get the thing that you want. 80 C-points = 100 Zen.

Or you could write it out on paper:

240/80 = x/100 --> DO THE MATH.

Step 5: Try then to buy "Zen" only to hit a brick wall if your PWE account is new. Or, find out that the purchase process for buying "Zen" is broken and/or confusing.

Step 6: Give up trying to give Cryptic any money.

Does that sound about right?

Last edited by kirksplat; 06-20-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
06-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I liked the old way. You simply hit a button and the transation occurs.

Now you have to do the hokey pokey with the Perfect World page. So hopefully for Season 6 they will streamline the Zen purchase without having to leave the game.
Career Officer
# 3
06-20-2012, 06:56 PM
To make matters worse, I had 1,000 C-points in my account before the changeover, so by that exchange rate I should have 1250 Zen. Instead I have... zero Zen.

I hope this is all just a matter of PWE not having completed that part of the migration yet.
Ensign
# 4
06-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
To make matters worse, I had 1,000 C-points in my account before the changeover, so by that exchange rate I should have 1250 Zen. Instead I have... zero Zen.

I hope this is all just a matter of PWE not having completed that part of the migration yet.
the amount of zen it shows on the website does not reflect what you have in c-points in the game. you can still log into STO and see your current balance of c-points hasn't changed (unless you've spent some or bought more or exchanged, naturally). The Cryptic Store on the STO website also still shows the c-point total you have from in game still.

the zen balance which you're looking at on the account is the generic PWE currency before you assign it to a specific game.
Rihannsu
# 5
06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Quote:

Zen is the "Master Currency" for Cryptic Games C-points are the "Game Currency". If you buy Zen you then have to change that into C-points (or Gold, or whatever it's called in whatever PWE game you want to put it in). Once it's changed into C-points, it's deducted from Zen, so if you have all your currency in a usable format in a game, you will have no Zen balance.

Zen is only for changing real money into currency A so you can then change that to Currency B,C,D,E etc.

They have an extra step so you pay and pull from one source for all games you play. But you have to actually assign it (in a one way process) to the game you want to spend it on.

Yes, I always found this system to be utterly useless.
Captain
# 6
06-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Zen is the "Master Currency" for Cryptic Games C-points are the "Game Currency". If you buy Zen you then have to change that into C-points (or Gold, or whatever it's called in whatever PWE game you want to put it in). Once it's changed into C-points, it's deducted from Zen, so if you have all your currency in a usable format in a game, you will have no Zen balance.

Zen is only for changing real money into currency A so you can then change that to Currency B,C,D,E etc.

They have an extra step so you pay and pull from one source for all games you play. But you have to actually assign it (in a one way process) to the game you want to spend it on.

Yes, I always found this system to be utterly useless.
So the master currency isn't even a master currency at all? It's an annoying extra step?
Rihannsu
# 7
06-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
So the master currency isn't even a master currency at all? It's an annoying extra step?
Exactly! I guess they hope you'll dump all your zen into a game then decide to buy more for another game since it's not shared between games.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Quote:
To put it mildly, yeah. Its hard to imagine a bigger PR stink waiting to happen than everyone losing their points all at once.

I feel bad for Cryptic in all of this. It's not like they can say no if PWE wants to migrate all of the old web tech and space bucks over to their system, but it's Cryptic's staff and their game that will take a lot of hits if anything goes wrong in that process.
---
Relax.
Career Officer
# 9
06-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Well, if I had to guess, I'd say we're in for a currency change up.

The whole point of 80 C-Points for $1 is to make things on the store seem cheaper. That doesn't happen anymore and it also has the side effect of making the stipend and currency bought via dilithium register as less. What value there was in the 80 for $1 setup gets lost with us purchasing ZEN first.

My pet theory is that we'll see a 1:1 ZEN currency adopted. It doesn't have to be called ZEN and doesn't have to be called C-Points... and given how point sales are now per game, I figure it will have its own Trek and Champions names.

My guess is they'll just flat out call them Trek Points. 100 for a dollar. And convert C-Points over to it. With stipends awarding 500 Trek Points a month and 500 Hero Points in Champions.
Career Officer
# 10
06-29-2012, 03:36 AM
I couldnt figure it out in a couple minutes, so I gave up, its not worth the hassle for a little bit of game fluff.

Here is what I expect as a busy person with a fistfull of dollars:

1: Log in
2: Here are the points, this is what they cost, click here to buy them.
3: Enter your CC number, or some other janky payment method
4: Thank you, come again. STO points are available for you to spend now.

Now I have to convert from cad to us to zen to cp, and its just this convoluted process that just seems suspiciously dishonest, which is consistant with any company aligning themselves with the 'win a free ipod' survey garbage.

Would have liked to spend some money on this fun little game, but I guess I will spend it somewhere else.