Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway
Login

Ensign
Hi guys,

I have a feature request for your great game. It is great that one can change position and size of all sub-windows using F12. However, it would be even more awesome if the 3D output of the game would be inside a movable window, too.

Why that? For starters, it could give you a couple more FPS in full screen mode if you reduce the size so that the information windows are on background and not on rendered 3D.

However, the real reason for the request is that in the awesome window mode this minor (?, of course I do not know the source code) change would allow for multiple monitor support:
For example one could move the 3D window to the left monitor and displaying all status information, map etc. on the right screen. And this would work for 1, 2, 3,...n monitors.

Of course, that might not be the need of the many ;-)

Hysteri0n
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-23-2012, 06:38 PM
While I am not one of the developers nor someone who's seen even a line of the engine's code, I'm can tell you that the UI elements and the "3D output of the game" are all part of the same rendering.
_______
equal parts cynical and helpful
Ensign
# 3 same rendering
06-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Dear synkr0nized,

of course you are right. However, that is not necessarily a contradiction: In DirectX the 'viewport' does what I am aiming for within a Direct3D Device, e.g. the full screen See the 3rd figure at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

I think Geordy could get this up and running in a few minutes ;-)

Cheers,

Hysterionus
Lieutenant
# 4 This would be awesome...
07-06-2012, 05:11 AM
I also use 2 monitors and even tho I can drag the entire game to span across them, it is annoying that the center view then ends up in the middle making it feel like a split screen thing.

I would also like it very much indeed if the entire UI (actionbar tray, minimap, team window, chat and notification fly-bys) could be moved to one screen and keep a completely clean gameview on the other. Even with highest resolution and UI scaled to 50%, I find myself annoyed at the loot roll spaming in STF's, map and minimap but the worst one is chat window, obscuring my view of what's happening around my character or starship.
This goes especially for when I use FRAPS to make videos. I would much prefer a completely UI free view of the action. There is nothing as annoying as a game totally cluttered with flying damage numbers and peoples names floating above their heads, the UI ontop of it all just bugs me.

Sure I can minimize the chat window but that's not really a good idea since that also terminates your communication with team members and fleet. I don't want the UI gone, I just want it out of my way - to the other monitor to be precise.

The game window draged out to span across both monitors would be OK if the center view was instead adjustable so I don't end up having it right in the intersection between the two screens.

The ideal scenario would be this: One screen showing what you see when you hit ALT+F12 (Hide UI)
The other screen showing the stuff that was just turned off with that same key shortcut! THAT would make the game feel like a movie you're in and not a vague graphical something-something with a bunch of numbers and blue or red (KDF) thingymabobs sitting everywhere in the gameplay view.
Think of it this way: When you drive a car, your dashboard is located UNDER the windshield for a reason, not distracting you from the world around you that you see through the windows. I'd like this in games to and it is very doable with computers that have 2 or more monitors. You'd be surprised how many people actualy have that.

Last edited by anelk2; 07-06-2012 at 05:20 AM.