Survivor of Romulus
# 1 Vanishing NPCs
06-23-2012, 04:10 PM
An old one I know, but is there a way to do this, either presently or in the upcoming (?) patches? On an interior map, this is.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-24-2012, 12:41 AM
While I have access to Tribble, I don't have the 10K there to own the Foundry there so I am curious about this too.

For the present we have to use tricks still. Placing crates or concealing them behind walls after we leave the area. So far I have yet to hear much positive about this new build. It scares me to think, we may end up with less to work with than before.
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-24-2012, 05:34 AM
If you're creating an interior map above an exterior one from scratch, you can, with prior planning, make sure that the piece of floor the NPC is on is separate from everything else, then use triggers to make it disappear then reappear. The NPC will fall through and "disappear", then using a second trigger, you make the floor reappear.

Using this dropping method, you can also drop a squad of ensign level mastiffs or targs and use it as a timer. 800 units high seems to give you about six seconds, so you can use a "kill targets" objective as a "wait for something to happen" objective. It gives a more reliable time span than having a friendly mob kill an enemy mob off of map, and you won't accidently hear erroneous combat sounds either.

Now you can just use this method without the disappearing floor with the right off-map positioning, but you're limited to the amount of time dictated by the map. Using the floor drop method, you can set 3 squads up, on 3 separate floors and have the second mob's floor triggered by the first mob's death using component complete, and thus have three times the amount of time dropping the squad nets you.

Using triggers for trapdoors is pretty handy so far.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-28-2012, 05:17 AM
This idea was so cool, I had to try it.

So I place a 500x500 floor 300 meters above the ground. Off to one side I made a 40x40 trap door. I told my men to stand right there while I threw the switch.

They fell out of sight so I jumped down myself. I almost died. I should have died... I fell 300 meters. They died so I did the Jesus thing and brought them back. :tongue:

Now my son and I talked about it you could have man#1 standing on trap door#1 with another man#2 directly above him out of sight. When the switch is thrown man #1 drops down 300 meters. When the next switch is tossed the floor reappears and the next man #2 drops down in his place. While the effect would be simple the building an entire custom building is the difficult part.
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
06-28-2012, 05:36 AM
That is because mechanically they have created an environment where you cannot kill a PC character through act of falling. You can however put spiders at the bottom of the fall and they take care of that bit, unless you are Filbones and survive the fall with less than 5% of your HP and proceed to kill EVERYTHING...then the author has to figure out how to build a 500ft climb back to the map *mutter*