Lieutenant
# 1 Operation Gamma
07-02-2012, 09:34 AM
I have done the mission Operation Gamma this morning. It took me much too long. I had a few problems. I took a Peregrin fighter with a dual cannon and a torpedo launcher to do it.
1 - First problem was at DS9, when fighting the enemy fighters, the camera didn't follow. So even with 33 turn rate, it was not easy to target.
2 - The satellites, I was maybe just unlucky, but the fact that the deactivation sequence is random, it took me a lot of try to get them.
3 - The swarmers were just too fast, even with a fighter I couldn't target them with the cannons. So I was just turning around, hoping that a torpedo will eventually hit. If I have known, I would have used my runabout with a turret, with 360 degrees fire angle.
Captain
# 2
07-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane2258 View Post
I have done the mission Operation Gamma this morning. It took me much too long. I had a few problems. I took a Peregrin fighter with a dual cannon and a torpedo launcher to do it.
1 - First problem was at DS9, when fighting the enemy fighters, the camera didn't follow. So even with 33 turn rate, it was not easy to target.
2 - The satellites, I was maybe just unlucky, but the fact that the deactivation sequence is random, it took me a lot of try to get them.
3 - The swarmers were just too fast, even with a fighter I couldn't target them with the cannons. So I was just turning around, hoping that a torpedo will eventually hit. If I have known, I would have used my runabout with a turret, with 360 degrees fire angle.
1) Sometimes a high turn rate can actually make it harder to follow a target. It gets easier to overshoot.

2) The deactivation sequence is not random. You are told when you get that part of the assignment what the proper sequence is for each type of satellite (there are three types for your character's profession). Write them down, then go deal with the satellites. You may need to change your camera angle or approach angle at each satellite to see which of the three varieties it is. You are given this information though as soon as you do your initial scan of that satellite.

3) Welcome to modern dogfighting. A 360 degree weapon helps a LOT. I don't have the peregrine, but you can probably trade out one of its normal weapons with a turret.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-02-2012, 10:00 AM
If you have either of the Akira point defense turrets (phaser or torpedo) just take that :/

The phaser one rips the swarmers apart in seconds.

As for 2, you have PLENTY of time to hit the "What are the sequences?" button to find out what to push in both parts. It's what I do every time.
Career Officer
# 4
07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
I mainly go in with a shuttle.. It's easier that way for me though sometimes I do like a challenge

Cryptic Join Date: March 2010
"We will not go quietly into the night" ~Independence Day
Empire Veteran
# 5
07-02-2012, 03:00 PM
for the camera issue, use your camera and focus on the back of your ship, almost looking at it's rear dead-on, maybe a little above. if you do so, you'll see the camera move on it's own a little, to settle on a fixed camera view.

as long as you don't manually move the camera yourself, the camera will stay in that view, no matter what you do (though it changes to focus on your target in combat)

for the targetting, you don't have to manually target (though I'd recommend it on the Work Bees). instead, when your weapon is able to fire, simply fire, and the ship will automatically fire at a random enemy, targetting it in the process.

and yeah, the swarmers are really fast... it's almost better to sneak up on them, get to within a little under 10 KM away, make sure you're in a good firing position, then kill one. the rest will come straight toward you, but you'll get to kill at least half before they start circling around you. forcing them to come down a narrow path helps a lot
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Empire Veteran
# 6
07-02-2012, 05:36 PM
1: Zoom in all the way (maybe one step back). It helps me gauge the small firing arc.
I usually take shuttles, nowadays, with a 360 arc beam.

2: Kimmera explained it well.

3: the point defense console works wonders on this. Also, the Transphasic cluster torp.
Heck, even an aceton assimilator (KDF) or two. Past that, I just put myself in that cave, creep out till I can shoot one, fire, then hit reverse.
Once they're on top of you, staying in reverse helps (a little) to get them in your torp arc.
Probably work even better if you've got torp spread.
-------------------------
It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
Captain
# 7
07-02-2012, 07:03 PM
I agree with what they said. but for me I use a shuttle with a beam array, and fire at will. I never have a problem with the swarmers.

May the Prophets guide us in these cryptic times....
Empire Veteran
# 8
07-02-2012, 07:47 PM
The problem is very simple. You're Fed. They have less guts.

But if you must know...

1.) I don't get what the problem is.

2.) It's not.

3.) Randomly shoot at them and let your explosion do most of the work.

That's how I did it with no problems.
# 9
07-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane2258 View Post
1 - Use satellites turrests, This kind of ship device can help you to attack in each wave of enemies, leaving you to focus your weapons in any working bee first.

Another hint: Use weapons with 250 or 360 of angle, to hit everything. Just need to be in the centre and move a little around, to focus your enemy inside of your angle of attack.

And the better hint: Be patience. After a wave, wait, let your ship and skills cooldown and after some moments or minutes try again. The main problem is about you running around following the enemies. Just need to wait in one spot and use your 250 or 360 weapons to hit anything around, having the working bee as priority one and others later.

2 - Write down in a paper note and check without opening the window. Or stay in the 0,98 km and if you miss the sequence, run back taking some distance and try again. If you can't memorise, try only ONE Sequence all time, and you have a luck to get the right one in at least 3 chances of checking each time.

3 - And you are using any skill? Tactical, Engineer and Science can use skills to compensate.

Anyway, use satellites turrets to help. And Photonic Fleet or Support Fleet to compensate anything.
PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
07-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Perhaps it's worth considering putting a Turret on your Fighter to compliment your DHC.

If I take the Fighter out I use, DC and Photon Torpedoes but I keep a Transphasic Cluster Mine, a Hargh'Peng and a Turret so I can adapt to the situation.

As for running from the Swarmers every captain has Evasive Maneuvers. Run than turn and Gun.