Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Phase turrets out of the game
07-08-2012, 07:45 PM
I know that this post will be wildly unpopular, but here goes.

To my knowledge all weapons bar the turrets (and possibly dual beam banks) do not exist in the Star Trek universe. As this is a Star Trek game (and I'm a Star Trek fan) is really like to see them go.

Not only that, but the idea of a weapon that can fire in every direction, even to a side of the ship where it's not mounted, goes against common sense. If it could only fire in the ventral or dorsal aspects of the ship only then it would be a little more believable, but how can a rear mounted weapon fire to the front of the ship? (Dual beam banks are believable as they're forward mounted AND forward firing.)

Devs, please keep the game a little more believable and closer to canon and remove the turrets.

For angry and abusive posts, please read below...
Rihannsu
# 2
07-08-2012, 07:51 PM
LOL. This is funny.
Career Officer
# 3
07-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Because......ITS AN ABSTRACTION!!

Somewhere now lost in time we went over this bit about how even on a perfect ship where no parts of the ship but other turrets would ever obstruct fire, that each turret added beyond one decreased the coverage of all the turrets. It's actually quite an interesting little problem where it comes down to one of two extremes of full weapon fire in half the arc, or half weapon fire in all arcs.

And to answer your rather simple question as two how a rear mounted turret can fire forward...

MOUNT IT HIGH UP IN THE BACK!!!!! OR DOWN LOW IN THE BACK!!!!!!!!

TURRET
-------:
:_________
:
: FORE WEAPONS MOUNTS >>>> BAD GUYZ THIS WAY!!!
Captain
# 4
07-08-2012, 08:12 PM
All I know is when I watch TNG is that I see multiple beams coming out of the ring around the top of the saucer. I always though that those were the dual beam arrays.

I never watched enough of the later portion of DS9 to look at the weapons.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Career Officer
# 5
07-08-2012, 08:16 PM
I would hate this. I feel it is a terrible idea.

At least the OP stated that this would be a wildly unpopular opinion.
Career Officer
# 6
07-08-2012, 08:19 PM
It's simple really, if you don't like them, dont use them. All you'll see from other players is another little cannon burst from what is usually a massive burst of what isn't even phaser or disruptor cannon fire.

Also this;
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
To my knowledge all weapons bar the turrets (and possibly dual beam banks) do not exist in the Star Trek universe. As this is a Star Trek game (and I'm a Star Trek fan) is really like to see them go.
What you're actually saying there is that turrets are the only weapons that exist in canon.

Regardless, I'm also a Trekkie (like that lends any weight to it...) and I'd really like to see them stay.
Joined August 2008
Commander
# 7
07-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I like how the first thing we saw from the 2009 Star Trek movie were a ton of turrets popping out of the hull to shoot at Nero's ship. Since the ship was technically built BEFORE Nero's ship came through the portal (which is exactly when the alternate reality began), this means that Turrets are retroactively canon to the series.
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
-The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition

Last edited by cusashorn; 07-08-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Rihannsu
# 8
07-08-2012, 09:12 PM
The USS Defiant has a dorsal mounted 360 degree phaser beam emitter it fires in Shattered Mirror, and in Paradise Lost.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Captain
# 9
07-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
I know that this post will be wildly unpopular, but here goes.

Not only that, but the idea of a weapon that can fire in every direction, even to a side of the ship where it's not mounted, goes against common sense. If it could only fire in the ventral or dorsal aspects of the ship only then it would be a little more believable, but how can a rear mounted weapon fire to the front of the ship? (Dual beam banks are believable as they're forward mounted AND forward firing.)

Devs, please keep the game a little more believable and closer to canon and remove the turrets.

For angry and abusive posts, please read below...
While this is a Star Trek game it is also an MMO. If we removed everything that was not directly seen onscreen, big or small, then we wouldn't be left with much of a game then would we?
All cloaks should be canon.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
07-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
All I know is when I watch TNG is that I see multiple beams coming out of the ring around the top of the saucer. I always though that those were the dual beam
Good point. For what it's worth, dual beams are now good in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusashorn View Post
I like how the first thing we saw from the 2009 Star Trek movie were a ton of turrets popping out of the hull to shoot at Nero's ship. Since the ship was technically built BEFORE Nero's ship came through the portal (which is exactly when the alternate reality began), this means that Turrets are retroactively canon to the series.
I thought they were cannons? Even if they were turrets, surely they could only fire when the target is not obstructed by their own hull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloctoad View Post
While this is a Star Trek game it is also an MMO. If we removed everything that was not directly seen onscreen, big or small, then we wouldn't be left with much of a game then would we?
Very fair point. If you kept it limited to what was on tv then yes, the game would be limited. And would suck.

I accept that science fiction involves the suspension of disbelief. I constantly have to argue this point with my wife as she all too often points out that mankind can't yet fly faster than light. (You have no idea how annoying this gets after the one-millionth time.) The suspension of disbelief required for a forward or rear mounted turret having full 360 degree filing ability is too great. It's like accepting the fact that david copperfield has talent. It just doesn't sit well for me.

Oh, thank you or not being abusive about my thoughts, people. It is noted and appreciated.