Captain
UPDATE: got a promotion

I am happy with my fleet, but now I am growing concerned. You might say feeling a bit burned. This may be much ado about nothing....

After donating 200,000 dil plus approx 10,000,000 in other assets and personnel - I am not allowed to buy fleet items or ships. As it turns out the purchasing of these items also require 'Fleet Provisions'. (as of this post, I was #1 on our leader board 300K with a good 150K point lead).

Fleet Provisions are generated when you build out your Starbase. These 'assets' are managed by your fleet admirals.

Even if your toon is an admiral in-game, your fleet rank determines your fleet provision accessibility. If your Fleet leadership doesn't want you to have access, they don't have to grant it.

In effect - come help us build our Starbase, work hard and you can get cool stuff. They encourage others to help - in our case a 280+ membership - while only 4 people actually get any value from it. I get that you can't give Fleet Provisioning to anyone who joins, but without an established reward process it's very possible that you - the contributor - will be taken advantage of. Sad, but people do try to take advantage of you.

You could argue that at least you have another Starbase to visit, and you do keep lifetime credits. But these credits are useless unless if you cannot spend them. If you don't get access to fleet provisions, you will never be able to spend them.

It's technically a Pyramid scheme. PW provides the mechanism from which they profit, while they leave thier users to self manage it. Essentially - here's the gun, now don't shoot anyone. Note: I have met some really great guys who manage fleets that don't seem to take advantage of the less-informed.

My issue with this is that this wasn't clearly stated by either CRYPTIC (who makes money off of this) or by the fleet managers. It could be a huge oversight on their part, and given that a portion of PW's sales can attributed to this feature it's not hard to see a potential legal issue. I'm not a lawyer, but I work with lawyers and they were impressed with the 'creative slickness' of the project.

Since venting over chat today, I've had offers from 4 fleets who would give me access to provision with as little as 100,000 fleet credit value 'contributed'. Thanks to everyone who responded, and yes you might be hearing from me.

Now I have asked our leadership about this via email. I hope to hear a reply soon and I'll figure out what might be better for me. I hope to stay in this fleet. I hope I have not been taken advantage of.

But to everyone who just joined a fleet you need to ask: WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GAIN ACCESS TO PROVISIONS?

Caveat Emptor

Thrax

Pyramid Scheme

Last edited by ddesjardins; 07-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
07-26-2012, 12:32 PM
In my case "nothing"
when we have spares im letting people join and collect them as long as they DON'T contribute to the flagged project (we are running an experiment on it and we don't want the numbers messed up)

but any fleet where provisions are restricted you should consider leaving
Career Officer
# 3
07-26-2012, 12:37 PM
We do exactly that... Closed access to provisions, we build up a sizeable amount, and then I open the stores for 24 hours, once a week.

No one has complained about that, In fact all i asked in the fleet felt it was the best solution untill we can limit the usage of provisions.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
07-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Find a better fleet.

I kept my fleet small for just this reason. Its me, my alts, and one other guy. Its taking a bit longer than some larger fleets to complete projects, but we aren't going to have to worry about fleet member knife fights over provisions, either.

Last edited by boglejam73; 07-26-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
I said this was going to happen months ago.

And people said I didnt know what I was talking about.
Career Officer
# 6
07-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Wish I had your problem. My fleet's so small we're still trying to get to the point where we can actually provision our fleets. It's harder than you might imagine with only two people active and wanting to do more than just grind, grind, grind because we both enjoy the game and would rather not burn ourselves out trying to get access to (admittedly neat) totally optional content.

Ironically, I seem to be one of the fleet leaders that actually set up a clearly defined set of criteria for gaining access to the stores. Not that it's helped me recruit anybody
Empire Veteran
# 7
08-25-2012, 08:09 PM
I understand what you are saying OP and that is why I am glad that A) I own my fleet and B) That it is a small one. Not being a huge fleet has some advantages in this system. It means we all get the most credit and we can safely allow all our members to buy whatever they like whenever they want to.