Captain
Greetings everyone!
After some Months without STO i decided to come back and take a look at all the changes of Season 6.

Since i started playing STO in Februar 2009 i fell in love with the Star Cruiser Design.
As someone who prefers to play independent/ solo i found it always a bit dissappointing that the Star Cruiser was more a group oriented Ship and had less tactical BOs and Firepower compared to the Assault Cruiser and the Excelsior refit for example.
Now, with the introduction of the Mirror universe Ships, this problem has been solved for me, so a big THANKS to whoever decided to introduce those ships!!!

However there are some small glitches with the ship model i want to point out, especially when combining the Nomad Saucer with the Avenger/ Emissary Hull.

Link: Nomad Saucer/ Emissary Hull

Link: Nomad Saucer/ Avenger Hull

The transition between Saucer and (Engineering) Hull looks not very good, especially when combined with the Avenger Hull. Sadly my Pictures can't show how it looks when the model is moving, especially light and shadows are somehow different, due to the different angles of the surfaces. I think a more smooth transition would help a lot.

These "errors" are in the game since beginning, but i think the introduction of the mirror universe ships would be a good opportunity to give the Star Cruiser model a bit love.
I know these are just some minor model errors and there are much more important things to do, but it would be nice if a friendly Dev could take a look at it when there is enough time.

Live long and prosper.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Captain
# 2
08-05-2012, 10:18 AM
None of the star cruiser designs are seamlessly compatible with each other they all have minor alignment problems when you try to mix the parts and the problem you describe doesn't show when the Nomad saucer is used with the Nomad hull.
Whatever they change, if they do so, I certainly hope it doesn't corrupt the look of the Nomad design in it's complete form, I paid for a Nomad costume for my star cruiser from the C-Store and I like it as it is. My only peeve with the Nomad is that I wish the torpedoes actually did fire broadsides as they were described to do when I bought one.
Captain
# 3
08-05-2012, 05:17 PM
i can vaguely remember the description, and you are right. I was disappointed like you that it came without the ability to fire boardside torpedoes. Would have been nice if the Star Cruise would have that ability.

Live long and prosper.

Captain
# 4
08-06-2012, 07:11 PM
I will concede that the texture is too light on rear bulkhead of the saucer module, the fit of the object seems good enough but the skin on that bulkhead being brighter than anywhere else on the saucer highlights that being the point of interface with the hull.
Career Officer
# 5
08-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
None of the star cruiser designs are seamlessly compatible with each other they all have minor alignment problems when you try to mix the parts and the problem you describe doesn't show when the Nomad saucer is used with the Nomad hull.
Whatever they change, if they do so, I certainly hope it doesn't corrupt the look of the Nomad design in it's complete form, I paid for a Nomad costume for my star cruiser from the C-Store and I like it as it is. My only peeve with the Nomad is that I wish the torpedoes actually did fire broadsides as they were described to do when I bought one.
To be fair, the saucer does launch its torpedoes straight out either side. It's a sight to behold during a good torp spread. ...They just start angling right forward as soon as they launch.
Captain
# 6
08-07-2012, 09:43 AM
This is true but I would prefer if the ship couldn't fire fore and aft but only within 90 degree arcs to port and starboard ie broadsides. the slow turning rate makes for little use of the forward torpedo unless you hit reverse to bear on a moving target.
Captain
# 7
08-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
This is true but I would prefer if the ship couldn't fire fore and aft but only within 90 degree arcs to port and starboard ie broadsides. the slow turning rate makes for little use of the forward torpedo unless you hit reverse to bear on a moving target.
How about a special console useable only for Cruisers or only for the Star Cruiser that allowes to fire boardsides with Torpedoes?
I think that would be a huge help and would make the Star Cruiser much more useable in Battle.

Live long and prosper.

Captain
# 8
08-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm sure someone will say it shouldn't be allowed because it would make a star cruiser too powerful, ie balance issues.
We've kind of gone off topic here.
I've gone over the Nomad saucer rather thoroughly now and the it could do to be scaled down vertically slightly or hardpointed slightly lower to make for smoother interface with all the SC hulls, but I will maintain that the bright texturing on the alf bulkhead makes the other problem obvious, if it were slightly darker than the saucer body, the seam wouldn't be as noticable.