Career Officer
Or any kind of reference website.

I was just thinking if one of the characters mentioned a game that someone else wasn't familiar with, they could consult the computer and it would spit back the answer, but the information would be taken from a site that contained said information (i.e. where the information was obtained by the writer).

Would this be okay or is it a no-no?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg
Career Officer
# 2
08-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanforever365 View Post
Or any kind of reference website.

I was just thinking if one of the characters mentioned a game that someone else wasn't familiar with, they could consult the computer and it would spit back the answer, but the information would be taken from a site that contained said information (i.e. where the information was obtained by the writer).

Would this be okay or is it a no-no?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!
I do not see any problem using said info, for strictly informational purposes, if the info is credible, I am not aware of any copy right issues concerning reproduction of this type.

I would refrain from naming any real names in the post, unless it was common historical knowledge. Hope that helps.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
08-06-2012, 09:42 AM
I believe referencing a third-party website by name is a no-no, but using the info is probably ok. I would rewrite the info in your own words, just to avoid any plagiarism charges (I think fair use might apply, but just to be on the safe side I'd rewrite it.)

Be aware though that anything directly referencing modern political issues (i.e. if you were to write a mission specifically and directly about a certain restaurant and its stance on a certain issue , that would be a EULA violation).
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 08-06-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Career Officer
# 4
08-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I believe referencing a third-party website by name is a no-no, but using the info is probably ok. I would rewrite the info in your own words, just to avoid any plagiarism charges (I think fair use might apply, but just to be on the safe side I'd rewrite it.)
Oh, I wouldn't be referencing the site by name. It'd go something like, "Computer. State any and all information you have on the game 52 Pick-Up." Though, as you say, to avoid plagarism issues, I'd reword it so it wasn't exactly as it was on the website, but I'd still phrase it so it sounds like it's coming from a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Be aware though that anything directly referencing modern political issues (i.e. if you were to write a mission specifically and directly about a certain restaurant and its stance on a certain issue , that would be a EULA violation).
Gee, I wonder what restaurant you're referring to? lol Don't worry; I don't have any plans to go that route. Though it's wonderful to get this information if I ever decided differently. Thank you both for your help!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg