This just started happening today and I have not been able to figure it out. It also stopped showing my username in the username field at the same time this happened.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled through Steam. I have cleared IE cache and cookies (since launcher is based on it). I can log in just fine from another computer, but I can't figure out what is going on on my game system.
I checked windows updates and AMD for graphics drives, nothing. It has to be something with the game and it content files on my computer.
What content file would cause it to stop displaying my username in the launcher? Also, I can't tab between fields on the launcher either.
i7 870 2.93 GHz
8Gb of RAM PC3 1600
Windows 7 64-bit Ulimate.
AMD Radeon 6950 2Gb
Update. I copied the game from the computer I was able to log in on to my game system. I am getting the same error from a known good copy of the game on this computer. I am my WTF point with this issue. I don't know why this is happening. Please assist.
Ok, I am now trying to access the launcher on my laptop, and it is doing the same thing. UserId doesn't display when opening the launcher and when typing the userID and password and clicking login launcher crashes.
This is complete different hardward from the machine I listed above. So the only common thing is Windows 7 Ultimate.
This laptop is a Dual Core, with 4Gb of ram, and nvidia graphic card.
Please support respond to this issue.
I don't have a attach option to attach the dxdiag file to the post. but I do have them both.
Good day. This is my first time playing STO. I installed the game both on my laptop and desktop running Win7 this morning. I had similar experiences, unable to get the launcher to log me in, much less patch -- it would always crash.
I don't use Displayfusion, so I knew that wasn't it. I did all the browser and cache and firewall stuff to no avail. I even played around with the tick boxes in the Options. Still kept crashing, and the ticket window kept dying before I could even get the error number.
Anyway, did some more research, and saw on another forum that some people had TeamViewer running in the background, and disabled it. I disabled TV and voila! Finally get to the patching part.