Commander
# 1 Graphics
08-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Well I'm going to cut to the chase.

This Graphics plus STO = Hummina Hummina Hummina

Don't get me wrong, this game in space is beautiful on max graphics, but if the ground area was to look like this?.... Wow would be an understatement.

Just saying, food for thought.
The Average PvP player

1) Teamwork and timing is #1
2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
3) You are going to die, just get back up
Career Officer
# 2
08-12-2012, 01:36 AM
I know what you mean, speaking of graphics cryengine 3 has the best visual aspect imo but we can all dream of have such high detail without the fps/network performance loss in every game we want to play lol
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Ensign
# 3
08-12-2012, 02:45 AM
I like the graphics in STO

Last edited by discotrash; 08-12-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Commander
# 4
08-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I love the graphics too but It's just a fantasy
The Average PvP player

1) Teamwork and timing is #1
2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
3) You are going to die, just get back up
Captain
# 5
08-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Maybe once this game comes out, Cryptic will decide to beef the graphics to remain competitive. Probably not until then though.

Still one can dream.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Ensign
# 6
08-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm running the game on a GTX 560 SE and think it looks really good. Also got 8X AA on too.
Wolfmind: Federation Tactical Captain
U.S.S. Flamecrest

Career Officer
# 7
08-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcommando101 View Post
Well I'm going to cut to the chase.

This Graphics plus STO = Hummina Hummina Hummina

Don't get me wrong, this game in space is beautiful on max graphics, but if the ground area was to look like this?.... Wow would be an understatement.

Just saying, food for thought.

Unreal Engine 3 ? meh.... overused.
granted STO's ground combat could be a lot more visually pleasing without all the silly mmo shiny effects of the various powers...

but even space can be easily topped.

what STO would realy profit from would be that awesome Engine of "Nexus the Jupiter Incident".

here is a Star Trek Mod of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_EX3_nfpZ4&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOoedZ8qR9I&hd=1

you want Carrier Gameplay? try this on for size:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NICVzMC-ZSI&hd=1

that game is easily 5 years or more old (runs perfect on any current or 4 year old system, needs a lot LESS resources than STO does),
yet look at the Shield Effects, Explosions, particle and shadder effects...

The Ships are on the same level of quality, just that these ones don't use the one-texture-fit's-all approach that STO uses, and therefore have more attention to detail of specific Ships.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
08-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Honestly while that game looks good I don't see anything in the trailer that is drastically different than STO in terms of graphics tech, with the possible exception of the Lens Flare Generator that's running at maximum. The real reason that game's ground footage looks so much better seems to be higher polly models and a better / more focused environment design as opposed to the kind of kit-bashed exaggerated scale feeling STO has, that and the animations are far better.

STO's animations however aren't limited by the engine so much as that they're limited by the equipment, time, and talent that Cryptic has at its disposal. As for the models and environment design, even without higher polly models STO ground could look much better and benefit greatly from a reworked design, bringing things to scale and giving planets a bit more of a realistic feel. Alien plants are fine but the ones in STO seem a bit cartoonish to me and could use some redesigning.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
08-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisansler View Post
Honestly while that game looks good I don't see anything in the trailer that is drastically different than STO in terms of graphics tech, with the possible exception of the Lens Flare Generator that's running at maximum. The real reason that game's ground footage looks so much better seems to be higher polly models and a better / more focused environment design as opposed to the kind of kit-bashed exaggerated scale feeling STO has, that and the animations are far better.

STO's animations however aren't limited by the engine so much as that they're limited by the equipment, time, and talent that Cryptic has at its disposal. As for the models and environment design, even without higher polly models STO ground could look much better and benefit greatly from a reworked design, bringing things to scale and giving planets a bit more of a realistic feel. Alien plants are fine but the ones in STO seem a bit cartoonish to me and could use some redesigning.
Nailed it.

Where the visuals in STO fail--and there are relatively few places where they do--it comes down to art direction, not technology.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
08-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Really? I find it always funny when I read "compared to MMO's". I am not going to make this a long post, but look what EVE Online accomplished in all those years. I wish there would be a Star Trek game after the EVE concept (not a 1 to 1 copy with just different models).
Lifetime - Joined 2008 - U.S.S. Kilimanjaro - Inner Circle