Captain
# 1 Inconsistent BO spawns
08-16-2012, 04:14 PM
ST-HGZ3ZQHM4
published: Testing- Do Not Play

I'm noticing some really strange issues with my BOs on a published mission. On my first ground map, they do not spawn. This makes the dialogue with BOs strange. On the second one, only 2 of them spawn, requiring me to die and respawn all of them so that I can fight well.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
08-17-2012, 12:54 AM
I am a bit as well (in fact, on that mission you playtested for me). Maybe this is related to NPCs on platforms?
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
08-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Yes it was quite strange. Kirkfat and I tested this mission together. He has a map built on platforms which starts out as one room, and through triggers the geometry changes twice. On first beam in, none of our boffs spawned with us. We could see their dots on the map through. On the second change in geometry, suddenly one of my boffs ran up to join us.

So the question is, why are they not spawning with the player?
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 4
08-17-2012, 07:24 AM
They're spawning somewhere, but it looks like they're spawning relative to the map floor, not the object the player spawns on top of. I noticed that in one of the Foundry spotlights too.

On a semi-related note, I've been seeing Boffs spawn as far as 10 meters from me even in flat terrain...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 5
08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
They're spawning somewhere, but it looks like they're spawning relative to the map floor, not the object the player spawns on top of. I noticed that in one of the Foundry spotlights too.

On a semi-related note, I've been seeing Boffs spawn as far as 10 meters from me even in flat terrain...
This is really weird though, they did not seem to spawn, but then I found them crowding a spot on an entirely different place on the map AFTER the platform had disappeared and reappeared. After I found them, they refused to follow me around.
Lieutenant
# 6
08-25-2012, 06:22 AM
I have also noticed on the KDF side, my BOffs sometimes cluster around me, like a "group hug". Very unlikely for a Klingon and befits a Federation Captain much more so. Well especially if you were female.

I would call this a very big glitch.
Rihannsu
# 7
08-26-2012, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
This is really weird though, they did not seem to spawn, but then I found them crowding a spot on an entirely different place on the map AFTER the platform had disappeared and reappeared. After I found them, they refused to follow me around.
Hmm... I've noticed more issues with Boff spawns when playing on foundry than on holodeck.

I think it was tribble foundry, but I have seen exactly what you described. some of my Boffs spawned halfway down the map and they seemed to be stuck in place. It didn't happen consistently, and it went away.

Now the group hug thing... that's standard idiot mode Boff behavior for Foundry Boffs. When testing in foundry your Boffs will do things that Boffs on the live server are too smart to do.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 8
09-05-2012, 06:43 PM
UPDATE!

I've been working on this issue, trying to figure it out, and we have!

It's kind of a bad news/good news thing.

First a brief explanation of how the pathing system works:
  • The pathing info for a map (beacons) are calculated based on the spawn point on the map.
  • Usually, this is just on the ground, wherever you place the spawn point.
  • If you create a custom interior using an exterior map, by laying down platforms and building blocks, etc, it will create pathing info on that.
  • HOWEVER, if objects are set to have their visibility toggled, they will be ignored when pathing is calculated.
    • This is required so that NPCs don't try to walk through an object that is made invisible later, for instance.

The behavior of the Bridge Officers in this mission is caused because the floor that Kirk has them spawning on is set to be invisible at a later time. Since the floor's visibility is toggled, the pathing is calculated at the spawn point, with the Y value corresponding to the nearest non-toggled place: the ground way way way below. (Sorry if I'm explaining too much of the behind-the-scenes stuff, Kirk.)

So that's the technical information. Now, what this means for you.

If you want the mission to work as you'd expect it, you could place your two floors at basically the same place, as long as they don't have much depth. Have the toggled one be the second floor, not the one you start at, and have it just ever so slightly higher than what you spawn at. (Hope that makes sense!) I haven't tested this myself yet, but it would probably work.

That being said, what Kirk has found is a great way to prevent the player's bridge officers from accompanying the player. So... woo!

Basically what you have to do is place a floor that turns invisible at some point in your mission. It can be upon completion of the final objective on that map, and it would work ok. On that floor, make sure you've got at least a couple "rooms"--one where you want the mission to take place, and one where you want the bridge officers to be. In the bridge officer room, leave one of the walls open. (I.e. don't put a wall there.)

Hope my explanation has helped.
Captain
# 9
09-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Well, now that we know what's going there it makes a lot of sense.

I love the irony though of now having a near surefire way of removing a boff team. It feels very Cave Johnson and Aperture Science.

"Sorry investors, as it turns out bombarding someones skin with highly energized anti-protons does not remove unsightly blemishes.

However, we are happy to announce our new Portable Death Ray; guaranteed to leave nothing left of the unfortunate recipient but fillings!"
Rihannsu
# 10
09-05-2012, 08:54 PM
ah, thanks! that was a very helpful explanation Zero!
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!