Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 19
So I run in a small fleet of close friends, and we are just now switching over to klingons from federation for a little variety and to switch up roles. We constantly fly with 1 cruiser, 3 escorts and a science vessel and are looking to roughly mimic that setup with our new klingon characters. So I was looking at the ships available to the klingons and the B'rel Retro fit really caught my eye. My question is this, as a science officer can the b'rel be used as a science vessel?

The pros I see are as follows.

-super high turn rate so you can always face the target you need to hit with science powers
-battle cloak so you can get in, use your science powers and get out safely
-4 universal officer slots so you can get the exact science powers you need
-3 of each type of console slot so you can whatever consoles equipped that you need to boost the powers you choose
-can be a torpedo boat so that you do not need to keep any power in weapons, and you are not going to have shields most of the time so you don't need any power there, so all your power can be in aux and eng.

Cons:
-Low health and almost no shields might be really hard to get used to
-no bonus to auxiliary power
-torp boat might not be any good without a focus on tactical powers from both the captain and bridge officers.

So does anyone have any experience with this concept at all? Is there anything I am overlooking? I am not worried about pugs or pvp with this ship,just fleet missions and stfs with a dedicated group of friends.

Cheers & thanks for any help in advance.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
# 2
08-17-2012, 11:24 PM
I fly the same combo and can only tell you what I do. Which is going more tactical focus. You can still bring a grav well 1/viral 1/shockwave 1/TBR 2 depending on what you like. But will have much more damage then a fed science ship.

I like 4 heavy cannons with a rapid fire 3, omega 1, rapid fire 1, tac team 1, delta 1, tac team 1

with a grav well 1, transfer 2, and hazard 1 for science

2x power to shields of course.

The downside is you wont have target subsystems. But I think the damage potential makes up for it.

If i wanted to go more science heavy then id use Cmdr sci, LtC tac, lt sci, lt eng

that way you could do a 2x tractor with a grav well 3 and whatever else you like. While still having good damage with a rapid fire 1 and 2 plus 1 tac team.


If you are thinking of a high Aux set up and not worried about doing damage, then I would say something else would be better, maybe a Vo'quv
Koopa27 -X-treme
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
# 3
08-17-2012, 11:25 PM
For what your thinking of doing, I'd recommend the Hegh'ta heavy bop at lvl 40, has slightly more hull, and shields. Also, no matter which bop you go for, you can't pure tank, you can kite tank if you desire tho.

Even with out the bonus power to aux, if you skill for a sci bop ship, it will work, and like any fed sci ship, you trade off dmg for support.

Another option is to go for the vo'quv carrier, and load bop pets one side, and shield drones on the other, or you could buy the Kar'fi and get a good mix of classes due to base stats and boff setup.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,241
# 4
08-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oninotaki18 View Post
My question is this, as a science officer can the b'rel be used as a science vessel?

...

Cheers & thanks for any help in advance.

The B'rel can be used as a science support vessel very easily. In fact it's THE best science support ship in the game.

Why?

Because it decloaks, does the science ability and re-cloaks in 3 seconds time.

A b'rel with:


Cmdr

Jam Sensors 1, Scramble Sensors 1, Gravity Well 1, Gravity Well 3

Lt Cmdr

Science team, Transfer Shield strength 2, Hazard 3

Lt

Transfer Shield strength 1 , Science team 2

Lt

Engineering Team 1, Aux to SIF 1


Is the ultimate crowd control and assist-healer there is. All these abilities if you click them will cause the B'rel to decloak and re-cloak in 3 seconds (only energy weapons fire will disrupt the 3-second cloak).

You have no tactical boffs but you can still dish pain. Load forward weapons with:

Tricobalt (or bioneural)x 2, harpeng, breen cluster (or replace one tricobalt with ferengi rockets if you have them)

Aft weapons:

Chroniton mines, tractor beam mines.


and you can deal very nice limited range aoe damage and lay mines to support in key areas.


B'rel does NOT decloak when dropping mines.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 49
# 5
08-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Thank you skyfaller I just found my new build.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 19
# 6
08-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I will try a build very similar to cmdrskyfaller's
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 135
# 7
08-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
The B'rel can be used as a science support vessel very easily. In fact it's THE best science support ship in the game.

Why?

Because it decloaks, does the science ability and re-cloaks in 3 seconds time.

A b'rel with:


Cmdr

Jam Sensors 1, Scramble Sensors 1, Gravity Well 1, Gravity Well 3

Lt Cmdr

Science team, Transfer Shield strength 2, Hazard 3

Lt

Transfer Shield strength 1 , Science team 2

Lt

Engineering Team 1, Aux to SIF 1


Is the ultimate crowd control and assist-healer there is. All these abilities if you click them will cause the B'rel to decloak and re-cloak in 3 seconds (only energy weapons fire will disrupt the 3-second cloak).

You have no tactical boffs but you can still dish pain. Load forward weapons with:

Tricobalt (or bioneural)x 2, harpeng, breen cluster (or replace one tricobalt with ferengi rockets if you have them)

Aft weapons:

Chroniton mines, tractor beam mines.


and you can deal very nice limited range aoe damage and lay mines to support in key areas.


B'rel does NOT decloak when dropping mines.
That actually sounds great for pvp, but how about PVE and STF's? I always play on elite difficulty and fear I will not get enough oomph as a science captain.

Any advice?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,241
# 8
08-29-2012, 10:23 AM
If you're science you're not there for the damage 'oomph'. You still do good damage with your torpedo and mine weaponry though.


Grav wells cycled and scramble sensors are excellent crowd control and in STF's that is what wins the day.



Here's a hint... most people don't know this trick:



In Cure Elite...

You know where the neghvar spawns. Make sure the top nanite that is destroyed is the one closest to the neghvar spawn point.

When that top nanite is destroyed and the Neghvar + Raptor spawns you toss the scramble sensors at the neghvar ...

It will target the cube... fire the isometric charge.

Isometric charge will bounce from cube to the nanite opposite from the neghvar spawn... which is where the raptor spawns.

While the isometric is bouncing the neghvar almost ALWAYS flies under the cube.

Isometric will bounce from nanite to raptor.

When the raptor is hit, it will lose all frontal shields and 50% of its hull. But, the isometric still has one hop to go...

and usually the closest thing to it will be the neghvar.

The neghvar will take the final, highest damage isometric charge hop and lose all its shields and be down to 75% hull.


Sometimes you get lucky and the raptor gets hit twice by the isometric and is destroyed.


When the isometric charge ends its run you pop a gravity well 3 at the neghvar or raptor which is under the cube at that point...


and the raptor , at 50% hull will usually die , explosion will heavily damage the neghvar...and the grav well will also usually end up damaging the nanite closest to it.


Its a very nifty trick.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 135
# 9
08-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
If you're science you're not there for the damage 'oomph'. You still do good damage with your torpedo and mine weaponry though.


Grav wells cycled and scramble sensors are excellent crowd control and in STF's that is what wins the day.



Here's a hint... most people don't know this trick:



In Cure Elite...

You know where the neghvar spawns. Make sure the top nanite that is destroyed is the one closest to the neghvar spawn point.

When that top nanite is destroyed and the Neghvar + Raptor spawns you toss the scramble sensors at the neghvar ...

It will target the cube... fire the isometric charge.

Isometric charge will bounce from cube to the nanite opposite from the neghvar spawn... which is where the raptor spawns.

While the isometric is bouncing the neghvar almost ALWAYS flies under the cube.

Isometric will bounce from nanite to raptor.

When the raptor is hit, it will lose all frontal shields and 50% of its hull. But, the isometric still has one hop to go...

and usually the closest thing to it will be the neghvar.

The neghvar will take the final, highest damage isometric charge hop and lose all its shields and be down to 75% hull.


Sometimes you get lucky and the raptor gets hit twice by the isometric and is destroyed.


When the isometric charge ends its run you pop a gravity well 3 at the neghvar or raptor which is under the cube at that point...


and the raptor , at 50% hull will usually die , explosion will heavily damage the neghvar...and the grav well will also usually end up damaging the nanite closest to it.


Its a very nifty trick.
Cool, thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try. Also, I should mention, my while I mentioned STF's, my main query was more solo play. I always play my dailies and such on elite difficulty as well. How does the build hold up without 4 other teamates to pick up the slack?

Last edited by blunted74; 08-29-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,241
# 10
08-29-2012, 03:22 PM
For solo you can just change the lt cmdr for a tactical boff to enhance your torpedo damage. The full sci setup is for team support not for solo.


In fact, why would you even bother to use a science b'rel for solo? DPS is all you need in solo and you have the huge advantage of auto-cloak in that ship.. you literally choose when and where combat takes place.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 AM.