Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 33
After much testing and meddling i finally managed to reach wave 7 in the NWS (but lost ) and since i couldn't find a nice topic discussing strategies on this mission i decided to start one so we can all share knowledge.

So, here are the things i found out :

1) Best ships for this mission are Cruiser and Science Vessels with a mix of both.
The minimum requirement being Commander + Lt Commander Engineering or Science BOFF slots.

You have read correctly, i do not recommend escorts because i feel they are a weight to the team in this mission, mainly for two reasons : first, it is very important to stay alive, if you die more than once you will most likely screw your team and escorts tend to go boom way to often; second but not the least, escorts simply do not have the adequate BOFF slots.

As you may have understood, cruisers will AOE spam to grab maximum agro, tank and if needed heal while science vessels will crowd control, heal and finally DPS when possible.

The DPS is *not* important and the most important things are, in this order : keep the transport out of firing range from the ennemies, heal the transport, heal yourself.

2) The waves are not timed, you have all your time, use it !!
No need to go all berserk, there is no timer so when you have only 1 ennemy left everyone but 1 person should stop attacking and start healing the transport.
The last team member should keep the last ship busy and away and wait for the transport to be fully healed before triggering next wave !
The ten seconds between waves are not enough to fully heal the transport so don't expect to survive next wave if your transport is not at 100%.

3) Devices like turrets and pets like Tal'Kyr/Saucer/Destroyer will not live long.
You can use them but be warned that they will die very very fast so time well their use because you will be left without for few minutes.
Concerning devices, everyone should have a Subspace Field Modulator for when tanking.

4) Imho the most important skills to have are :

- Tractor Beam Repulsors : *very important*, i recommend 2 per science vessel and 1 per cruiser. SPAM IT !! to keep the ennemies at bay away from the transport but also push away exploding ships, torpedoes, missiles, fighters ! And of course do not be dense and do not push ennemies toward the transport !
- Engineering Team : *very important*, 1 per player minimum, to heal the transport.
- Hazard Emitters, to boost transport hull regen and/or cleanse it.
- Transfer Shield Strenght, to heal the transport.
- Extend Shields, same as above.
- Reverse Shield Polarity, for when you are going into the brunt of the fighting.
- Emergency Power to Shields, self heal.
- Beam Fire at Will, for cruisers to grab agro of nearby ships and shooting at mendatory plasma torps flying by.
- Torpedo Spread, same as above.
- Emergency Power to Weapons, extra DPS but remember it shares cooldown with Emergency Power to Shield who is more important.

5) Always keep the transport on focus (the pin button on the target) so you can quick select it without cursing at the melee or your team mates.

I strongly recommend you do not take the usual STF skills that are Gravity Well and Eject Warp Plasma because those skills will just pin down the ennemies and keep them inside their firing range to the transport instead of pushing them back.
Same for Tyken's Rift : it is a good skill but it will eat up crowd control and healing skills slots.


Remember everything i said is for waves 1 to 7, i do not know if it works or is adequate for next waves.

That is all i can think of right now, i will come back and edit this post when needed.

Please share your thought and your experience so we can finally beat this no win scenario !!

Last edited by drailh; 08-18-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,391
# 2
08-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Tactical team is probably more important than engineering team, you can hull heal with AuxtSIF instead.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 33
# 3
08-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
Tactical team is probably more important than engineering team, you can hull heal with AuxtSIF instead.
You can have both Tac Team and Eng Team since they are not the same class.
So, fair point, throw away a low level BFaW or TorpS to take a Tac Team instead, but do not remove Eng Team to take AuxtSIF : Eng Team + Transfer Shield Str heal much better and is more flexible.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 359
# 4
08-18-2012, 09:20 AM
why remove aux2sif for a crapy eng team?:

aux2sif=best heal skill ingame low cooldown so you can spam him + high ressis booster.

and to your question high dps needet for the mission+ability to stay alive anyone do it other way.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 74
# 5
08-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmoony View Post
why remove aux2sif for a crapy eng team?:

aux2sif=best heal skill ingame low cooldown so you can spam him + high ressis booster.

and to your question high dps needet for the mission+ability to stay alive anyone do it other way.
I agree, aux2sif > engineering team, plus you wont get your tac team locked out.

Rest of it I can agree with
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 33
# 6
08-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmoony View Post
why remove aux2sif for a crapy eng team?:

aux2sif=best heal skill ingame low cooldown so you can spam him + high ressis booster.
Ok, two in a row that talk about it, i'll have a look and run some tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmoony View Post
and to your question high dps needet for the mission+ability to stay alive anyone do it other way.
First, it is not a question it is a fact, i did it that way.
Secondly i opened this topic for everyone to talk about their strategy, so if "everyone do it the other way" is so good, go on, feel free to share it because that is exactly what i asked for and it will help everyone.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 359
# 7
08-18-2012, 10:17 AM
we are on different minds and that ok i have seen you say dps is not importend mission but for me its the mainpoint .

i have reached lvl 8 with dps only team never try it after that again.
if you will know how its easy 5x fire at will spaming if transporter is sometimes hitten give him hazzard emiteer and all is nice.
we fail on lvl 8 not about leaking dps 2 players was overrunned on npc so heal in cooldown then they die if you die in the mission the mission is with 80% lost.


but the only question for me is with the new pets is there a way to not win the no win scenario

Last edited by lostmoony; 08-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 306
# 8
08-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drailh View Post
Ok, two in a row that talk about it, i'll have a look and run some tests.
AuxSIF heals about half of what Eng Team does but it grants a damage resist for 10 sec, doesn't share a cooldown with Team skills, has a 15 sec CD (half of Eng Team) and is usable on yourself or others like Eng Team. Spam away.
Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!

Last edited by zordar01; 08-18-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,923
# 9
08-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drailh View Post
After much testing and meddling i finally managed to reach wave 7 in the NWS (but lost ) and since i couldn't find a nice topic discussing strategies on this mission i decided to start one so we can all share knowledge.

So, here are the things i found out :

1) Best ships for this mission are Cruiser and Science Vessels with a mix of both.
The minimum requirement being Commander + Lt Commander Engineering or Science BOFF slots.

You have read correctly, i do not recommend escorts because i feel they are a weight to the team in this mission, mainly for two reasons : first, it is very important to stay alive, if you die more than once you will most likely screw your team and escorts tend to go boom way to often; second but not the least, escorts simply do not have the adequate BOFF slots.

As you may have understood, cruisers will AOE spam to grab maximum agro, tank and if needed heal while science vessels will crowd control, heal and finally DPS when possible.

The DPS is *not* important and the most important things are, in this order : keep the transport out of firing range from the ennemies, heal the transport, heal yourself.

3) Devices like turrets and pets like Tal'Kyr/Saucer/Destroyer will not live long.
You can use them but be warned that they will die very very fast so time well their use because you will be left without for few minutes.
Concerning devices, everyone should have a Subspace Field Modulator for when tanking.

4) Imho the most important skills to have are :

- Tractor Beam Repulsors : *very important*, i recommend 2 per science vessel and 1 per cruiser. SPAM IT !! to keep the ennemies at bay away from the transport but also push away exploding ships, torpedoes, missiles, fighters ! And of course do not be dense and do not push ennemies toward the transport !

I strongly recommend you do not take the usual STF skills that are Gravity Well and Eject Warp Plasma because those skills will just pin down the ennemies and keep them inside their firing range to the transport instead of pushing them back.
Same for Tyken's Rift : it is a good skill but it will eat up crowd control and healing skills slots.
... You do understand Gravity Well can make for deadly chain reactions, killing entire squadrons of ships with a focused burst of firepower? TBR negates that entirely.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 321
# 10
08-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
... You do understand Gravity Well can make for deadly chain reactions, killing entire squadrons of ships with a focused burst of firepower? TBR negates that entirely.
Grav Well is a useful opening strike against the enemy groups, but in later waves plenty of ships will surivive the attempts to Grav well and chain react, so you need TBR for that because there'll be just too many ships coming from different directions for anything else to be really effective at keeping them off the freighter.

I honestly don't see how NWS can be done without a lot of copies of TBR, if I'm honest.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:55 PM.