Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
Star Trek has a lot of timeline tangles. Such as the Voyager episode "Endgame". I mean... if Janeway went into the past and helped her past self get home early, then she would've had told the younger Janeway to do what she did in the future to maintain the timeline. Except the timeline would've been altered by Janeway getting home early and....

AAARRRGH!!!! MY BRAIN!!!

Anyways...

What other sci fi shows do you know of that have messed up instances of time and space?

One anime series I know of like this was called Super Dimensional Century Orguss. From what I remember watching, the first series had the protagonist and his partner activate a bomb that tangled up several alternate realities of Earth. After journeying with a trade vessel (and using his transforming mecha to defend it and himself from enemies) and having a daughter who he ends up having to fight later he decides to fix things by travelling into the past and killing his past self to keep the bomb from being dropped, and thus fixing things...

But if he killed himself in the past to prevent the bomb from going off, then he wouldn't be in the future and....

Yeah... brain's overheating right there...

I'm sure Dr. Who might also have messed up timelines, but I haven't watched enough of the series to be sure...
Lieutenant
# 2
08-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnehart View Post
AAARRRGH!!!! MY BRAIN!!!
Voyager does that a lot doesn't it?

Quote:
One anime series I know of like this was called Super Dimensional Century Orguss. From what I remember watching, the first series had the protagonist and his partner activate a bomb that tangled up several alternate realities of Earth. After journeying with a trade vessel (and using his transforming mecha to defend it and himself from enemies) and having a daughter who he ends up having to fight later he decides to fix things by travelling into the past and killing his past self to keep the bomb from being dropped, and thus fixing things...

But if he killed himself in the past to prevent the bomb from going off, then he wouldn't be in the future and....

Yeah... brain's overheating right there...

I'm impressed you've even heard of that one! It's a real unsung gem (despite the wibbly wobbly, timey wimey nature of its premise).

If I recall correctly, the ending of the series was ambiguous precisely because of the paradox and the unraveling of it. Basically, the two main characters forcibly separated the mish-mash of timeline dimensions that was causing every intersecting dimension instability by... well... removing themselves from the equation.

Which means that the dimensional bomb both DID and DID NOT explode.

But whether it did or not all the various timelines are now separated, and in some of them, all the characters we learned to care about lived, and in others they died, and in others they were... changed. (Which is why at least one of the ending stills shows Kei with Mimsy and their baby, but HE has one of the Emaan tendrils!)

Don't try to think about these things too much. You just hurt your brain that way.

(Logan Pops out of the top of a closed box screaming "HEISENBERG!!! I WANT A WORD WITH YOU!!!!")
Rihannsu
# 3
08-26-2012, 03:24 AM
Back to the future.

In part 2, old biff goes back in time, gives the book to his younger self and changes the future to where biff is now the richest guy ever.

BUT.... old biff then goes back to 2015 in the original timeline that also has marty and doc in it. this timeline should no longer exist though. in fact he should no longer exist as he would be replaced by his older richer self. even if he does and can return to 2015 he should return to the alternate one he has created and not the original.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
08-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Doctor who ?

Some of the biggies

the movie declares the Doctor half human (previously stated to be genetically impossible)
the chronology has been rewritten at least 12 times

three seperate origins for the Cybermen

etc
Captain
# 5
08-26-2012, 03:42 AM
I think its doomed to happen to any sci-fi that
A) has many writers tinkering around with it (human error + human error due to many writers messing with continuity)
B) Has multiple instances of time travel/alteration

Doctor Who first springs to my mind also :p

Futurama kinda did an episode about it, 'roswell that ends well' wonderful episode if you havent seen it already :p
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
08-26-2012, 03:47 AM
Some others

War of the Worlds (the series) the home planet and bioform of the aliens changes twice

Quantum leap (sudden change in direction in season three)

Terminator the sarah connor chronicles (too many to list)
Captain
# 7
08-26-2012, 03:53 AM
I tinker and thought experiment time travel so much that non of what I have seen on television hardly surprises me. About the most "wibblily Wobbliy" of Time travel I have seen is two Doctor Who episodes. "Blink" and "Big Bang two". I have have a rough draft of a time traveling Trilogy of books wedged into a saga that slightly more timey-whimmy then Doctor Who can be. (I"m a bit bias, so )

I tend to break my desk over my head trying to explain to newbs how Vulcan can be destroyed in the new movie and NOT be destroyed in STO. Did NO ONE pay attention to Professor Harkin's Temporal Mechanics 101 class?
Captain
# 8
08-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Doctor who ?

Some of the biggies

the movie declares the Doctor half human (previously stated to be genetically impossible)
the chronology has been rewritten at least 12 times

three seperate origins for the Cybermen

etc
I knew there had to be a few in there...
Captain
# 9
08-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnehart View Post
I'm sure Dr. Who might also have messed up timelines, but I haven't watched enough of the series to be sure...
Messed up timelines, you can say that again.

There's the Total Event Collapse of the universe at the end of Series 5 (That's every star in the universe going supernova at every moment in history) and the subsequent "rebooting" of it via the second Big Bang.

There's the disintegration of time at the end of Series 6 that led to every moment in history happening simultaneously.

There's the parallel world where humans created the Cybermen

Then there's the Often mentioned, rarely seen Last Great Time War

There's probably hundereds more examples I can think of as well, that's probably one of the reasons for the show's longevity, 50 years old next November
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Rihannsu
# 10
08-27-2012, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthyme467989 View Post
Messed up timelines, you can say that again.

There's the Total Event Collapse of the universe at the end of Series 5 (That's every star in the universe going supernova at every moment in history) and the subsequent "rebooting" of it via the second Big Bang.

There's the disintegration of time at the end of Series 6 that led to every moment in history happening simultaneously.

There's the parallel world where humans created the Cybermen

Then there's the Often mentioned, rarely seen Last Great Time War

There's probably hundereds more examples I can think of as well, that's probably one of the reasons for the show's longevity, 50 years old next November
To be fair though... in Doctor Who temporal paradoxes are part of the series premise. The Tennant version of the Doctor specifically stated that the time stream was fluid and constantly changing due to time travel.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.