Ensign
# 1 Are these okay?
08-26-2012, 11:23 AM
First of all, hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm really enjoying the game

But I have a little dilemma I need some feedback on. I just recently became able to do the daily mission called "Investigate Officer Reports". Someone suggested that I search the missions by "hot" and then just do the ones that show up at the top of the search, which only involve clicking one a wall or something.

I dont want to get in any trouble for exploiting, so I was wondering are these kinds of missions okay to do? What do the devs think of them? Thanks for your help!
Captain
# 2
08-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Hello and welcome!

The Devs have no issues with anyone doing any of the Foundry Missions. If you're looking for some good stories I'd suggest you start by doing the Spotlight Mission choices that Cryptic posts on its website here: http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/fo...ndry-spotlight

Those are generally considered good choices by Cryptic.
Lieutenant
# 3
08-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The Devs have no issues with anyone doing any of the Foundry Missions.
False. We have been told to report exploit missions:

Quote:
We want the Foundry to be used for users to create missions. Set a scenario, create the world anew for yourself. The tool was not created to allow players to level up easier, to have a quicker way to gather Accolades, or similar. If your mission sets this as a goal in any form, we may take action. Please do not create missions that are geared towards boosting of any kind.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...6&postcount=68

While it is true that they do not enforce their own policy, they have never made any statement retracting it.

Last edited by sl1ckm1ster; 08-26-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Captain
# 4
08-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1ckm1ster View Post
False. We have been told to report exploit missions:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...6&postcount=68

While it is true that they do not enforce their own policy, they have never made any statement retracting it.
And, over a year later from that post, as Tobar posted, Cryptic doesn't seem to have much of an issue with it. There are even Dev posts on Twitter about some of the exploit Missions the Devs run just for the heck of it.
Lieutenant
# 5
08-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
And, over a year later from that post, as Tobar posted, Cryptic doesn't seem to have much of an issue with it. There are even Dev posts on Twitter about some of the exploit Missions the Devs run just for the heck of it.
As I said:

Community Moderator
# 6
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1ckm1ster View Post
As I said:

I don't even know that it's true that they don't enforce it. Since the stakes on the Foundry Daily have gone from "some stuff you could have gotten off the Exchange for pocket change" to "a fair chunk of Dilithium", it could be that fewer people are reporting missions.

A lot of Cryptic's community interaction has gotten reactive instead of proactive due to staffing; this is self-evident in the fact they changed their minds on community forum moderators.

If the state of affairs is "they stopped enforcing the policy on missions whose only exploit is time", we'll probably never hear it, because they'd not want to open the floodgates or cause themselves a problem with enforcement in the cases they DO enforce. I don't spend much time in the Foundry Discussion forum; how's the traffic lately from angry people who lost their Foundry access due to exploits? They used to be infrequent, but present.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 7
08-26-2012, 05:57 PM
anyone remember the super quick leveling missions? tons of enemy ships and all you had to do was explode to kill them all? -grumbles about the reduction of number of targets that can be hit by things-
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Attention all exploiters, the death knell has been sounded for the 1-click missions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticmapolis View Post
Since rewards are based off of the average completion time of the quest, this kind of exploit wouldn't work, and you would just get trash from the chest.
http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...111#post190111

Yes, they are scaling mission rewards based upon average mission completion time. This kills 1-click missions, because the shorter the mission the less reward you get. In other words, 1-click = junk. And there is nothing you can personally do to game the system(like going AFK) since it is based on average time, not your personal time.
Community Moderator
# 9
08-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Ah yes, but it's important to note that Devs twitter accounts are their personal feeds normally rather than official Cryptic ones (in spite of some of their names) and should be taken as such.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Community Moderator
# 10
08-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecutestofborg View Post
First of all, hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm really enjoying the game

But I have a little dilemma I need some feedback on. I just recently became able to do the daily mission called "Investigate Officer Reports". Someone suggested that I search the missions by "hot" and then just do the ones that show up at the top of the search, which only involve clicking one a wall or something.

I dont want to get in any trouble for exploiting, so I was wondering are these kinds of missions okay to do? What do the devs think of them? Thanks for your help!
There was a time Cryptic said 'no' but that was when Foundry was first launched - nowadays they seem far more relaxed.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.