Lt. Commander
# 1 What works better on SHields?
08-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Tachyon Beam or Charged Particle Burst?
Commander
# 2
08-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Depends on how my beams you have and how many skill points you have spent in Sci.
My guess is if you have 4+ beams then beams because you can keep firing.

Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Be more specific. I'm a sci captain, and I specced into the debuff passives, but I want to know which power by itself does more for a sci captain in terms of wasting enemy shields.
Captain
# 4
08-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Neither is particularly effective. CBP is slightly useful for AOE, but only slightly. TB you have to stay on target for a full 10 seconds to do a few thousand points of drain, which your phasers should be able to do several times over in the same time frame. While it would be nice if it worked, sci shield draining is dead end, and there are better things to do with your boff slots.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Gah, so, what are some other good sci debuffs? I already have GW 3, so, maybe, Tyken Rift?
Empire Veteran
# 6
08-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonxx View Post
Gah, so, what are some other good sci debuffs? I already have GW 3, so, maybe, Tyken Rift?
I have a sci and run GW 3 and Tyken's 2 usually, but after reading reginamala's results I'm having second thoughts. It sounds like it would be more effective to run the highest Target Shields Subsystem you can instead of using any sci powers to strip shields.

To be honest I've been having trouble finding a setup I like with my sci. My DPS is low and most sci powers have questionable effects (except GW - it's a great CC ability, damage aside). I leveled my sci before F2P and I don't recall my sci powers sucking that bad. Now I find myself relegated to corralling up ships in Fleet Actions with GW and hoping my phased tetryons proc. Very boring. I tried a cannon/turret sci ship build, I tried an MVAM, and I was seriously thinking about a Sci or Tac Odyssey. But everything seemed 'meh'. It's like I wasn't really good at anything. Now I know why.

Seems the best sci debuffs are our captain abilities.
Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!