Captain
# 1 Where is your STO 'sweet spot'
09-02-2012, 03:04 AM
This post was inspired by a lack of sleep and playing alts, you have been warned!

The concept of a 'sweet spot' in an RPG is the level range where the math and mechanics hit that perfect point providing the most enjoyable combat encounters. It occurs before the bonuses get to high, the abilities and gear too plentiful and powerful.

For me in STO space combat it seems to hit around level 20 and continue for the most part until level 40. That is when I have to pick and choose which boff abilities I need and when I try to time when I use them. Tractor Beam Repulsars vs Romulans FTW!!! My shields take damage at a reasonable rate allowing maneuvers to bring a fresh shield facing, or transferring the shields to be worthwhile. Combat has a good pacing even if it is a bit easy.

In contrast at level 40+ I seem to have so many boff abilities that they end up just being two copies of the same power that I mash each time they come off cooldown. A shield is either up because of a low amount of incoming damage, or tac team, or it goes down from a single shot. Combat becomes very 'spikey' and button 'mashy' while remaining face-roll easy with the right build/gear.

Anyone else have a 'favorite' level range? I urge you to go play an alt, without over twinking, to re-experience the flow of combat at the lower levels if it has been awhile you just may enjoy it!
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
09-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Im happiest at levels 31-39
And in a Galaxy class starship
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-02-2012, 03:17 AM
It was around lvl40 for me. 50 I have glimpsed content like the frustrating Tholian stuff.
Commander
# 4
09-02-2012, 03:21 AM
20 or 30s for me.

Thing were much simpler. There were not enough abilities floating around to exploit balance issues, and characters were still new enough to not have month or years to accumulate the "perfect" gear.
Empire Veteran
# 5
09-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Captain levels for space, everything up to and including captain level for ground.

For space, the Captain level was where you got to play those iconic TNG-era ships, the Galaxy, Intrepid, and Defiant. To me that, was AWESOME. Plus you got your captain-level powers, like the Cmdr slot on a ship, abilities such as Miracle Worker, etc.

On the ground, it was very easy at the get-go, with simple enemies, having to do things like save Lt. Miral Paris, fighting the 'classic' ST enemies like Klingons and Romulans. Even the Cardassians weren't THAT bad.

At Admiral level, that's when things started to change dramatically, and while you become much more powerful, so did the enemies, and the novelty had rather worn off.

Captain
# 6
09-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Tractor Beam Repulsars vs Romulans FTW!!! My shields take damage at a reasonable rate allowing maneuvers to bring a fresh shield facing, or transferring the shields to be worthwhile.
Quite unusual i must say, most people complain that the romulan levels at a lower level where the hardest, complaining how OP d'derixes are :p,

Though i remeber being in your frame of mind, enjoying tractor repulsors and doing the combat dance (moving shield facing)

My personal sweet spot (for leveling and playing at a lower level) was ker'ret warzone at about level 20-40,

Why?
-it was FUN
-it was a challenge (try my best to get '1st' and win some purples :p)
-the unexpected, a bop decloaking and locking horns with them!
-testing myself vs Cubes, being able to kill them alone at the twilight of my rank, then being utterly killed when i got a new ship
-the fact i could earn dilithium while doing the mission and *gasp* HAVING FUN!

Then they punished *us all*, because people afked .

Now Ker'ret is for elitists and people who think they are elite cry for their team to save them, and then get obliterated when the true elites call for reinforcements
Captain
# 7
09-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Anyone else have a 'favorite' level range? I urge you to go play an alt, without over twinking, to re-experience the flow of combat at the lower levels if it has been awhile you just may enjoy it!
I absolutely love this game in the early levels. 1 to 30 truly provide the best trek experience. Past 30, into 40 and then 50 it goes from a star trek game to become an arcade no-tactics or strategy requiring arcade shooter.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Captain
# 8
09-02-2012, 02:11 PM
It seems I'm not alone or crazy!

Here are two followup questions if anyone cares to answer them.

What is it that causes the game to become...worse I guess as you break into 40+ for you?
- Number of boff abilities available?
- Pace of combat?
- Wide range of good gear vs great gear?
- Change in enemy types/stories?
- Something I didn't list?

For me it is the number of boff abilities you have gets kinda silly I think making it into a button masher and the combat pacing tends to get messed up because of that.

And what could be done to extend the sweet spot for you?

To this for me it would be to add 'passive boff abilities'. Say instead of slotting Emergency power to Shield I twice where it will have 100% up time I could train my boffs in 'Shield Power Management' that would provide nearly (but not quite) the same bonus as a passive buff so I don't have to mash that stupid button every 30 seconds.

In addition I really think some consoles need to be rebalanced and the ships need to have a higher amount of hull and shields right out of the box. For that to work some healing abilities would need to be rebalanced as well but that would be fine. It is just absolutely silly to me for a shield facing to go down in one shot or to loose 50% hull from a single torp and ten seconds later for me to be back at full because I hit two boff abilities.
Empire Veteran
# 9
09-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Level 30+ for me. can't stand the Commander levels, they are good on the KDF but pretty horrid on the FED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Empire Veteran
# 10
09-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Quote:

What is it that causes the game to become...worse I guess as you break into 40+ for you?
- Number of boff abilities available?
- Pace of combat?
- Wide range of good gear vs great gear?
- Change in enemy types/stories?
- Something I didn't list?

And what could be done to extend the sweet spot for you?
Well, I don't mind any of those things really.

But what did bug me, even when I first started playing this game was something I can say in one word:

Borg.

Seriously, even the first time I ever fought them in a normal mission, I was annoyed, having to remodulate all the time on the ground, or constantly dealing with the mega-shield draining ability in space. And their story missions are just the tip of the iceberg.

As for extending that sweet spot, I don't really think there's anything that could for me IMO.