Lt. Commander
# 1 Possible to change UI color?
09-03-2012, 08:17 PM
I never thought about it before, and I'm not near the game to look at the moment, but I'm worried once I start KDF the constant red will hurt my eyes, so, anyone know?
Career Officer
# 2
09-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Sorry, it isn't possible to change the UI color.
Captain
# 3
09-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Apparently Cryptic is researching UI customization options including color palette changes , what fruit that will bare and when, who knows.
Personally I would be happy with subdued reds and blues in the non active portions of the UI, the FED blue doesn't bother me so much, but the Klingon red gives me intense headaches after a short period of time.
You may be one of the lucky ones who suffers no ill effects from the Klingon UI, good luck.
Captain
# 4
09-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunkl View Post
Sorry, it isn't possible to change the UI color.
It is possible. The klingons had to use the fed UI color due to a 'glitch' in some instances.

Just allowing the use of fed or kdf interface as a choice would be helpful. Color blind folk like myself suffer horribly from the all-red interface. We see most of it but mix in the plasma/nebulae greens and other FX into it and half the time i cant even see what to click in the screen. Using color blind mods for the graphics cards makes the rest of the game look like an acid trip.

In my case, if I could play klingon using fed interface I'd have no visual issues.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Empire Veteran
# 5
09-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Hmm, if they do implement, I might turn all my UI color to a romulan/orion green from the exiting red.

Btw isn't the canon-red for klingons because their eyesight is more redshifted and can see more on the red side of the human-visible spectrum...

I can see why you get a headache playing KDF cos after all you're not really a klingon in real life ;p
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
Captain
# 6
09-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Somewhere along the way whoever designed the Klingon UI forgot the fact that the players playing Klingons, aren't actually Klingons and what may look ok to a Klingon can be really painful for some of us poor dumb humans.
Whether the red is canon or not is debatable, yes there is more red than blue in Klingon displays in the movies and TV series, but red isn't the only color displayed. They don't walk around their ships in the dark and true they don't paint the walls bright colors, but they usually do have them well lit, in fact most times harshly lit, so STOs dim rooms and corridors and a UI that makes you squint are a bit off.
The Klingons in this game were not given an interface that is uniquely theirs, their interface is a Federation knockoff with red switched for the original blue. There are none of the triangle/honeycomb elements in Klingon displays that are seen in Movies and TV, but then the only time a Fed player sees a semblance of a LCARS interface is only during loading screens so both sides got shafted where UIs are concerned.
The frames and borders of either side Fed or Klink red or blue is so much useless scenery, if we could get that dimmed down to subtle browns or dim blues it would save a ton of eyestrain, better yet, we don't need to be looking at fluorescent blues and neon reds for elements that don't do anything, let us turn them off leaving only the buttons and icons we need to see.
Ensign
# 7 changing font
09-08-2012, 11:12 AM
also, it might be a good ideal to be able to change the font in the UI. i know with my reduced vision, i sometimes have trouble telling the difference between a 6 and a 8 in the current UI. Even if it is a matter of selecting one of the existing OS installed fonts.