Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Ensign
EDIT: darkstarkirian has pointed out that this has already been mentioned in another thread and a dev responded saying it's being addressed. Therefore I apologise for the angry tone in my original post (which follows) and say thanks to the devs who'll be fixing this

I am in a small UFP fleet. Our starbase is still Tier 1, inching slowly towards Tier 2. As the weeks have passed we have collectively decided to install a few of the time-limited Special Projects, e.g. the bar upgrade and this weeks one, the Enterprise timeline display.

We have, unfortunately, been deeply unimpressed with the quality of these visual upgrades and think that Cryptic really should consider improving these or offering refunds to fleets who have made the mistake of installing them.

For example, the bar upgrade is extremely lackluster. Look at the bottles on the shelves in the bar. One bottle shape with four different colours? How long did it take someone to design that? An hour? Two? No other decorations of note, a very boring circular bar with no embellishments or variation. This is shoddy, unimaginative and amateurish.

Now let's have a look at this weeks 200k dilithium project - the historical display of the Enterprise. I've got some pictures to illustrate the poor quality of this project since mere words can't describe how terrible it is.

First, have a look at the poor rendering of the text on the bottom of the 1st picture:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31210803/st...9-07_00003.jpg
The others aren't as bad as that, why is that one unreadable and pixelated? Bad font rendering?

Second, take a look at the classy way that the tops of all the pictures clip into the surrounding frame. Did the intern responsible just not have enough time to do a professional job? Or did they have no pride in their work?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31210803/st...9-07_00004.jpg

Finally, and this is the 64 million dollar screw-up, just have a look at the positioning of the last frame in the series. Especially in relation to a certain other element in the Starbase.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31210803/st...9-07_00005.jpg
Anyone else notice that the view is slightly obstructed by being completely behind a giant plant? Either this simply wasn't tested with any other starbase decorations enabled or the poor, overworked and underpaid intern didn't give a monkeys.

Seriously Cryptic, this is amateurish, shoddy, lackadaisical, lazy, ham-fisted, cheap. The F2P market has never been more crowded than it is right now. You guys have a LOT of competition out there. You need to raise your game and stop treating your customers like idiots or you're going to find that they just take their money elsewhere.

Last edited by apocryphai; 09-07-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
09-07-2012, 05:42 AM
+1 This was hugely disapointing
12th-Feet
Fleet Admiral Enterprise-D
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-07-2012, 06:18 AM
While I agree with you on the last project, the display frames were not really well placed. The curved wall that they are placed on does interfere, bleeds through and blocks most of the text at the top of the display frames. It would also help if the made the text bolder and outlined it so it could define it more clearly. Perhaps they could also change the text to be less reflective as the light can make it hard to read.

However, I have no other problem with previous projects. The bar area has a nice layout with the chairs, chess, benches and mood lights. With tribbles and plants scattered around if you had installed the previous vanity projects, it looks like a very cozy area to relax in.

Our fleet has purchased every limited "vanity" project that has come out and we will continue to complete them, they offer a nice warm touch, to what could be a very cold looking interior.
Career Officer
# 4
09-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocryphai View Post
I am in a small UFP fleet. Our starbase is still Tier 1, inching slowly towards Tier 2. As the weeks have passed we have collectively decided to install a few of the time-limited Special Projects, e.g. the bar upgrade and this weeks one, the Enterprise timeline display.

We have, unfortunately, been deeply unimpressed with the quality of these visual upgrades and think that Cryptic really should consider improving these or offering refunds to fleets who have made the mistake of installing them.

For example, the bar upgrade is extremely lackluster. Look at the bottles on the shelves in the bar. One bottle shape with four different colours? How long did it take someone to design that? An hour? Two? No other decorations of note, a very boring circular bar with no embellishments or variation. This is shoddy, unimaginative and amateurish.

Now let's have a look at this weeks 200k dilithium project - the historical display of the Enterprise. I've got some pictures to illustrate the poor quality of this project since mere words can't describe how terrible it is.

First, have a look at the poor rendering of the text on the bottom of the 1st picture:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31210803/st...9-07_00003.jpg
The others aren't as bad as that, why is that one unreadable and pixelated? Bad font rendering?

Second, take a look at the classy way that the tops of all the pictures clip into the surrounding frame. Did the intern responsible just not have enough time to do a professional job? Or did they have no pride in their work?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31210803/st...9-07_00004.jpg

Finally, and this is the 64 million dollar screw-up, just have a look at the positioning of the last frame in the series. Especially in relation to a certain other element in the Starbase.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31210803/st...9-07_00005.jpg
Anyone else notice that the view is slightly obstructed by being completely behind a giant plant? Either this simply wasn't tested with any other starbase decorations enabled or the poor, overworked and underpaid intern didn't give a monkeys.

Seriously Cryptic, this is amateurish, shoddy, lackadaisical, lazy, ham-fisted, cheap. The F2P market has never been more crowded than it is right now. You guys have a LOT of competition out there. You need to raise your game and stop treating your customers like idiots or you're going to find that they just take their money elsewhere.
I wholeheartedly echo my fleet mates sentiments.

I would also add that:
  1. They are hardly "special" projects if there is a new one every fortnight or so.
  2. If they are not already then the costs for these items should be scaled to: Members in Fleet x Cost Per Fleet Member = ITEM COST. From what I have seen they cost every fleet the same and this is simply a shambles.
Career Officer
# 5
09-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Well... I WAS going to assign this project...

Now... not so much
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 6
09-07-2012, 05:58 AM
I wonder, what about some frigging interactive lounge furnitures of some sort.
I know these are digital avatars, but some of us actually pretends being lazy standing up all the time.
Vice Admiral Kerayz of the Federation of Misfits.
Empire Veteran
# 7
09-07-2012, 06:07 AM
To the OP:
Quote:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=51
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc
The top boarder of most of the ships are cut off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
The team is working on a fix for this.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc
While there is a lot of space beside the HMS Enterprise but the other side of the new Enterprise - F and flag ship of the fleet is put behind a potted plant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
There should be a fix for this in the pipe as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmysticg View Post
.[*]If they are not already then the costs for these items should be scaled to: Members in Fleet x Cost Per Fleet Member = ITEM COST. From what I have seen they cost every fleet the same and this is simply a shambles.
No, that is easily exploitable by small fleets.
New Featured Project shows up, All but the Fleet leader leaves the fleet, Fleet leader pays the "discounted" amount to get project running, invites everyone back.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...

Last edited by darkstarkirian; 09-07-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 8
09-07-2012, 06:09 AM
How about a game of spot the difference with these two Ent-A pictures:

A
B

One of the most iconic ships in the ST universe and they can't even get the basics right.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Empire Veteran
# 9
09-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defalus View Post
How about a game of spot the difference with these two Ent-A pictures:

A
B

One of the most iconic ships in the ST universe and they can't even get the basics right.
I'm having trouble with what you are pointing out. You mean the diference in Defectors?
Picture "A" is obviously an in-game screenie used for the diplay, while "B" is a movie screenie.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Empire Veteran
# 10
09-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarkirian View Post
I'm having trouble with what you are pointing out. You mean the diference in Defectors?
Picture "A" is obviously an in-game screenie used for the diplay, while "B" is a movie screenie.
The deflector is one, the saucer colouring is a second and having been so long since I actually used a connie I'm not sure if the connie model in the game can have nacelles with no blue light on them.

I just like the movie versions of the connie so sorry for my nit picking, given the nature of the potraits I just thought they could have at least got it closer to the real ship.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.