Lieutenant
# 1 Perpetual Game Systems
09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
http://themittani.com/features/mitta...o-john-smedley

Give it a read, but take note of the last bit especially.

Also here:

Quote:
The Mittani: You've mentioned a desire for more sandbox MMOs in your Reddit AMA, and sandboxes are obviously a major draw for Eve players. Do you have plans for adding sandbox elements to PS2, and if so, would you like to discuss them? If there really is an untapped market for sandbox MMOs, why haven't we seen more of them, besides Eve and SWG?

John Smedley: Sandbox elements - SOE is redefining itself as a creator of emergent gameplay experiences. That's our future. You can call it sandbox but it's so much more than that. A good example is Player owned bases in Planetside 2. That's coming. We're going to make huge continents that are empty and have vast resources on them and players can fight it out and put down their own bases there and other players can come and obliterate them. Sound familiar Eve Players? Actually we had something like this in Star Wars Galaxies too. THAT is content. At some point as an industry we need to realize that we have already lost the race to outpace players in making content. I personally thought SWTOR was a great game. I loved Diablo III. The problem is you get to the endgame and as game makers it's not just expensive. it's impossible to stay ahead of the curve.

Think about this statement - If WoW had come out yesterday.. at what point would people be "done" with the content. We need to focus on game systems that are perpetual and give players a lot more control over what they can do rather than JUST putting yet another dragon in front of them with scripted content. We need to be doing both in order to be successful. And that's our plan.
So hey Cryptic, let's get some more of those "game systems that are perpetual" and aren't "JUST putting yet another dragon in front of them with scripted content."
Just can't let go of the Excelsior...
Captain
# 2
09-07-2012, 11:10 AM
John Smedley

That's the guy who ruined Star Wars Galaxies
By ignoring fan requests , unable to do a simple
Character balance and changing the play system
From a great original play system too

A poor copy of WoW I'n a Star Wars setting
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Captain
# 3
09-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I hate pvp. Any system that had capture zones as the only content would bore me to death. I'd think even pvp players would get tired of shooting each other month after month for the same patch of ground too.
Lieutenant
# 4
09-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stf65 View Post
I hate pvp. Any system that had capture zones as the only content would bore me to death. I'd think even pvp players would get tired of shooting each other month after month for the same patch of ground too.
PvE can certainly have an ongoing system driven setup as well. Don't immediatley jump to the conclusion that open gameplay unequivocally means PvP driven.
Just can't let go of the Excelsior...
Captain
# 5
09-07-2012, 11:18 AM
I couldn't agree more

Give the players the tools to change the game and create content
Career Officer
# 6
09-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
You can call it sandbox but it's so much more than that.
Ah, there's the Smedley Spin.
Joined August 2008
Empire Veteran
# 7
09-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stf65 View Post
Did't play PlanetSide then did you, a lot of us spent years arguing over the same patches of ground and PS2 will basicly be the same.

Over 10 years since PlanetSide 1 and there are still people playing it, granted not as many as the first 3 years but enough to draw a decent fight, for the same patches of ground.
Which one will you be?