Ensign
# 1 patching
09-14-2012, 12:51 AM
on demaned patch i disabled now its one huge patch will i have to do this every time the game loads. I mean download a 5684 MB patch every time i open it or is it just a one time thing?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
09-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Disabling on-demand patching means that all of the data the game needs is downloaded, instead of just a small patch, and the rest being patched when its needed (in-game).
It speeds up in-game loading times, but means you have to download a fair bit when a new patch is released. The 500MB is one-off, apart from when there is a new patch, of which might be 40MB-900MB.
-------------------------------------------------------------
President of Alpha Solaris, a Federation fleet.

I used to be Sinsofasolarempire
Career Officer
# 3
09-14-2012, 03:39 AM
Think of it like this:

On-demand patching: You get a basic car. Wheels, engines, windshield and all that is installed.
Now you want to listen to music, so you have to stop to get a radio installed. It's free, but it makes your trip a little slower. You have to do this every time you want to do something new (if you've done it before, it's still there though).

On-demand patching off: You get the premium variant of the car with all the little gimmicks installed. Want radio? Turn it on...
However, there are things installed that you barely ever or never use, like pink seats... Still... You already have it all, so you won't have to go it grab it first, unless new features come out, and even then, you get it all installed at once.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Captain
# 4
09-14-2012, 09:06 PM
With On-Demand patching on, you will download what's considered to essential files after a game update. As you enter zones, instance, missions with updates files, you will download those. For instance if you never go into any Klingon zones/missions, you won't have to download any updates for those areas.

With On-Demad patching off, you will download every updated file after a game patch. Your 5GB download (actually closer to 2.5G as the data is compressed for transmission over the 'Net) sound about right for all of the game changes to date.