Lt. Commander
This is one for the entire industry.

Surely the idea is you play for free but as you use the game, you pay money? Top-up with extras and so on.

On my old phone this is called Pay As You Go not Free to Call.

Career Officer
# 2
09-16-2012, 04:11 AM
They call it free to play as you can play at least some of the game for free to wet your appetite. It is your choice if you wish to spend money to expand on your play experience.

On a phone you cannot make calls for free or do anything on the network for free and so you have to pay to do anything at all. They are not the same at all or even similar.
Rihannsu
# 3
09-16-2012, 04:37 AM
on a pay as you go phone you pay for everything. you just do it 'as you go', instead of a contract. there is nothing free about any of it hence they cant use the word free in it.

these games are free to play. you dont have to pay a penny. there may be pay restrictions along the way but you can still play the bulk of the game (and in sto's case all of the game) for free.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 4
09-16-2012, 04:55 AM
you may disagree with their business model, but compared to other f2p games out there it is a reasonable good one.
why? In theory you can get anything there is by playing the game...it only takes a lot of time.
there are no real limitations in sense of missions only available to paying users or anything.
for the most part all free ships are competitive in endgame and PVP.
and the most important point: you can earn the currency used to buy ships etc while playing.

compared to a phone, this would mean: you phone for free, but with less quality than the paying user...but while you do phone you load up your account with points to upgrade to a better quality. The more you phone for free, the more features you unlock.

ofcourse those ships and other features are highly overprized, but considering that you can earn the currency to buy it while playing makes those prices understandable.
I certainly would prefer, smaller prices, but less possibilities to earn the currency ingame.
Go pro or go home
Banned
# 5
09-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
I certainly would prefer, smaller prices, but less possibilities to earn the currency ingame.
Don't give them any ideas...

I would prefer they raised the dil conversion cap so getting decent ships didn't take so darn long.

Last edited by pinkpower2012; 09-20-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
On a phone you cannot make calls for free or do anything on the network for free and so you have to pay to do anything at all. They are not the same at all or even similar.
I think the Op was trying to point out that you need the Internet to play so its really not free to play looking at it from that perspective which is the same as a phone because you need to be connected to make the phone calls in the first place.
Commander
# 7
09-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariseabove View Post
I think the Op was trying to point out that you need the Internet to play so its really not free to play looking at it from that perspective which is the same as a phone because you need to be connected to make the phone calls in the first place.
No, they're saying that even if you play the game for free, you still have to pay real money in the C-store.

Which isn't true because 1)nothing in the C-store is completely necessary to play the game and 2)you don't have to pay a dime because there are the offers and the dilithium exchange through which to earn zen.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velktra View Post
No, they're saying that even if you play the game for free, you still have to pay real money in the C-store.
Can you read?

After the Op this person compared the Op's comment s too,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
I simply responded to that by saying, You need the internet to play to begin with I'm not talking about having to pay for c-store stuff.

I'm aware of what other people have said I'm not saying they are wrong all I'm doing is responding to "Dirlettia" post comparing what the op posted compared to a mobile phone plan which is true you do need to be connected to make the phone calls as you do need to be connected to the Internet to play any game whether it has additional online costs or not is irrelevant.

To put it another way, "Why are games advertised Free to play when it costs money to connect to the internet?"

If your not connected to the internet you can't play this game and if you want to take it a step further you could say, "if you don't own or have access to a computer you can't play this game". last I checked computers are not free.
Commander
# 9
09-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariseabove View Post
Can you read?
Can you? The OP says absolutely nothing about having to pay for internet. It says you have to pay to fill up on "extras", the stuff from the C-store. You said the OP mentioned having to pay for internet. All I said is that they didn't say that.

Get off my back.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Career Officer
# 10
09-16-2012, 03:00 PM
The internet cost is irrelevant as you can get internet access for free at libraries, Macdonalds etc. This was never a part of the OP's point as they were trying to compare a F2P game to a pay as you go phone.

Free is free in this case as you can play the game without paying anything at all ever.