Captain
# 1 Too Many Siphons
09-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Is it really necessary to allow players to have 7 Advanced Energy Siphon drones? Whats with the power draining as a fighting techneque because I don't know an active defense against it? When you have players that can just sit back and drain other players without having to fight whlie NPC's do all the work, destroys the balance in the game. These siphon drones are too tough to be destroy in tractor repulsor beam unless I use aux batteries but when i run out, then what? While you are busy trying to destroying the siphons which are tough like advanced runabouts, the player is destroying you. What ever happened to Player versus Player and the test of skill? PVP in STO has become Player with the deepest pocket wins, Player versus environment controlled by player, Player versus cheat codes. When people are allowed to be indestructable then the game is no longer competition.

Energy sighons are a bad idea and don't show skill at all, just laziness.

Last edited by alexindcobra; 09-18-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
09-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexindcobra View Post
Is it really necessary to allow players to have 7 Advanced Energy Siphon drones? Whats with the power draining as a fighting techneque because I don't know an active defense against it? When you have players that can just sit back and drain other players without having to fight whlie NPC's do all the work, destroys the balance in the game. These siphon drones are too tough to be destroy in tractor repulsor beam unless I use aux batteries but when i run out, then what? While you are busy trying to destroying the siphons which are tough like advanced runabouts, the player is destroying you. What ever happened to Player versus Player and the test of skill? PVP in STO has become Player with the deepest pocket wins, Player versus environment controlled by player, Player versus cheat codes. When people are allowed to be indestructable then the game is no longer competition.

Engery sighons are a bad idea and don't show skill at all, just laziness.
Wait, it gets better with doffs, new spam every 10 sec. I can tell you that only a chained faw tac cruiser can keep the spam away, and maybe kill the carrier if the pilot doesn't suck. And best tac cruisers are also kdf... If you do fight a recluse with siphons, then just forget about killing the recluse... I know the insulator didn't resist them, I've heard they got fixed recently though, but I haven't confirmed it, so it's just a rumor so far for me. And yea, that's totally cheese. I can tell you that in attack mode, pets attack mines and torps first, so you may try puting some mines and see if that would buy you some time, since siphons can't kill mines as far as I know. The only use I see for siphons is in elite stf, when you don't want to waste time doing it properly. I have them, but don't use them in pvp for the above reasons.
Hear! Sons of Kahless
Hear! Daughters too.
The blood of battle washes clean.
The Warrior brave and true.
We fight, we love, and then we kill...
Captain
# 3
09-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueprom3theus View Post
Wait, it gets better with doffs, new spam every 10 sec. I can tell you that only a chained faw tac cruiser can keep the spam away, and maybe kill the carrier if the pilot doesn't suck. And best tac cruisers are also kdf... If you do fight a recluse with siphons, then just forget about killing the recluse... I know the insulator didn't resist them, I've heard they got fixed recently though, but I haven't confirmed it, so it's just a rumor so far for me. And yea, that's totally cheese. I can tell you that in attack mode, pets attack mines and torps first, so you may try puting some mines and see if that would buy you some time, since siphons can't kill mines as far as I know. The only use I see for siphons is in elite stf, when you don't want to waste time doing it properly. I have them, but don't use them in pvp for the above reasons.
Yip have to say I used to use them; now not so much. The only time I strap them on is when I run into AMS + Danubes. My mantra then becomes "two can play 'tis game, two can play 'tis game wooo-hahaha-ha"
Career Officer
# 4
09-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
Yip have to say I used to use them; now not so much. The only time I strap them on is when I run into AMS + Danubes. My mantra then becomes "two can play 'tis game, two can play 'tis game wooo-hahaha-ha"
Yea, carrier vs carrier, sit back and enjoy the flight... Caugh... the npcs killing each other, lol.
Hear! Sons of Kahless
Hear! Daughters too.
The blood of battle washes clean.
The Warrior brave and true.
We fight, we love, and then we kill...
Captain
# 5
09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I haven't really seen siphons in action that much, but they're basically cheese. They're a cheap, dirty trick that most self-respecting PvPers don't use. Really, what's the fun in using such an OP setup? It's on par with flying an indestructible JHAS that can still shred right through Tactical Team.
Captain
# 6
09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
it all come down to....well....

what i always say, is if you really wouldn't want to face your build because of its questionable layout.....then don't make others face it. (i hold myself to this standard. no p2w bs...pure maxing my build through console choices....i guess you could say one of my toons flying the bug is questionable to some people, but since i don't mind fighting them.....i fly one on one toon)

and i'm sure everyone here can agree, we like to be able to move, and we like power to our systems.

so, if your build takes advantage of loopholes in the game that allow you to totally deprive the opposing player of these basic fundamental necessities in the game, then, well....

you are just a jerk. but thats cool, i'm kind of a drunk ass-hole.

but honestly people, they go on carriers. its not like they can kill you without the toys, just stay 5 clicks away from them. let them suck nothing from thin air.

and to quote one of my favorite all time people, Duane The Rock The Tooth Fairy Johnson,

"if ya smell what the rock is cookin" then

have fun kill bad guys
Empire Veteran
# 7
09-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:

I don't know. But if siphons are nerfed, Danube tractors need the same bat.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
09-18-2012, 08:59 PM
So, to sum it up does siphon drones suck or blow?
Serious note why not just remove drones or fix skill tree resist. Make a new console that resists it? Reduce cd to 1 min for that auto turret.
-------------------------

Future Capt Gecko II Hitlers take on PvP
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-19-2012, 03:21 AM
Quote:

I have no problem giving them up...when the feds give up the danubes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpfbJLLbczs
Captain
# 10
09-19-2012, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted74 View Post
I have no problem giving them up...when the feds give up the danubes.
I don't use carriers, but this statement makes no sense. Siphon Drones shut you down completely, you can't move, can't keep your shields up and can't fire back. Exactly how does that compare to Danubes?

Yes, Danubes are a problem, but comparing the 2 is just a cop-out of an excuse for using Siphon Drones.
Quote:
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIYOTT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ: Have you wondered that maybe all the things they've added to the gaem lately is to literally make PvP unbearable? Because everything they've added has no use in PvE at all; we know the big boss hates 14 yo min maxers