Captain
# 1 Do I have this right?
09-19-2012, 07:47 AM
I just want to make sure that I understand this:

STO at launch: A 50 to 80 hour journey to VA, in which players had to play lots of content, even though some of it was lackluster, like patrols. Getting to VA took some work, but we got to experience most of the official content, even if there wasn't much to do at endgame. Players complained about the speed of getting to max level and the lack of endgame content. The game was "too short" and lacked "content." But, there was a reason to care about mid-level purples and even crafting.

STO now: A 10 to 15 hour journey to VA, in which players don't have to play much content at all, beyond a few missions here and there while messing with doffs. Most of the lackluster content, like patrols, is completely optional. Getting to VA takes very little work, and we're likely to hit it prior to playing the Romulan episodes. There is a lot to do at VA, since we hit it before playing captain-level missions. We can just continue on, playing the lower level content after reaching max level. And, there are our starbases. Hitting VA is kind of an arbitrary moment, when we say, "OK, well, I won't get further promoted, but I still have lots of stuff in my mission log." There is no reason to care about mid-level purples or crafting.

Do I have this right?

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-19-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
09-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Purty close.
Captain
# 3
09-19-2012, 08:09 AM
That is quite close to how I see it. We went from needing to grind everything, some multiple times, to get to 50 to getting to 50 without needing to try too hard. Most people will have 15-25 missions to do when they get to 50, and then they can always go back and do the patrols and exploration zones at 50 as well.

Crafting is pointless pre-50 due to leveling speed, and somewhat obsolete due to stf gear at 50.
Captain
# 4
09-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stf65 View Post
Most people will have 15-25 missions to do when they get to 50, and then they can always go back and do the patrols and exploration zones at 50 as well.
What is the incentive for playing what is left over? Is it any different from playing Foundry content? Once the xp is added for Foundry content, will it just make things worse, or will it make it better, since the 15 hour journey to VA can be an entirely different experience each time?
Captain
# 5
09-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
What is the incentive for playing what is left over? Is it any different from playing Foundry content? Once the xp is added for Foundry content, will it just make things worse, or will it make it better, since the 15 hour journey to VA can be an entirely different experience each time?
You play for the drops, and the Boff XP for starbases. The drops are going to be level appropriate. The breen missions give good gear drops. If you are not interested in doing teaming in the stfs the only way to get the good gear is by doing the missions which offer it, or you can craft the aegis set for end-game.

I should add that many gamers will always see Foundry missions is unofficial and so will refuse to do them. To those people it doesn't matter how good or bad any particular mission is. If it is not done by Cryptic it is just not part of the story and will be avoided.

Last edited by stf65; 09-19-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Community Moderator
# 6
09-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Accolades are the primary reason for completing most official story missions imo.

You're quite right about the low and mid level items though, they have very little value.

Also now that you can get significantly better items from your fleet starbase, which requires resources such as dilithium, the crafting option is totally illogical. The only reason I can think of for a player to craft, is just so they can say "Done that, next!" which would apply to those who like to accomplish all that is available in game.
Twitter: @STO_Alecto | Voluntary Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums | Ferasan Shadow Force
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs.
Empire Veteran
# 7
09-19-2012, 09:05 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalecto View Post
You're quite right about the low and mid level items though, they have very little value.
Possibly its time to make all items in the game level scale with the player?

Quote:
the crafting option is totally illogical.
Crafting certainly needs some love
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Community Moderator
# 8
09-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
What is the incentive for playing what is left over? Is it any different from playing Foundry content?
It averages better than the average Foundry content, and none of it is as mind-searingly awful as the worst Foundry content. The rewards are better, which means you can make more EC in the Exchange, until you hit the cap. There's a few cosmetically-interesting unique rewards, but those are mostly in the Featured Episodes.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 9
09-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer1 View Post
Frankly the name of titles such as VA and Captain are rhetorical. First off, the Admiralty ranks are only 5 levels long and can be extended to 10 each if they wanted to. Second off the title an NPC calls me in a mission that I have repeated for the 150th time doesn't matter. Content matters, Captain or VA at the top, if it gets boring, why play it?
Agreed, even though this wouldn't fix that, it would be nice to choose what rank you're at. (Didn't they have that at launch? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalecto View Post
Also now that you can get significantly better items from your fleet starbase, which requires resources such as dilithium, the crafting option is totally illogical. The only reason I can think of for a player to craft, is just so they can say "Done that, next!" which would apply to those who like to accomplish all that is available in game.
The only practical reason to craft is to munch them for EC's, and to get Aegis Set. And even that gets obsolete pretty quickly.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Community Moderator
# 10
09-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Agreed, even though this wouldn't fix that, it would be nice to choose what rank you're at. (Didn't they have that at launch? )
No.

/10char
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google