Career Officer
# 1 How to monetize the Foundry
09-19-2012, 09:18 PM
This is hopefully somewhat novel. I've seen discussion of selling asset packs to Foundry authors. I could maybe see this IF the packs GENUINELY include big features outside what you'd expect in standard development of STO... like 1920s New York map and kits or Victorian London, along with mob groups that are unique. And, in turn, if these assets are Foundry exclusive for awhile, as in, held off from Cryptic missions.

But that's not exactly what I'm thinking of, at the moment, as I know that will be controversial.

What I AM thinking of is the idea of selling VENDOR packs to Foundry authors.

A vendor would, of course, be a special kind of contact who manages a storefront with sellable items, like the vendors seen in game.

Now, what would be novel here is if the Foundry vendors each came with an exclusive item for sale for dilithium.

So I have a Dixon Hill tailor NPC, right? And he sells fedoras.

I buy the Dixon Hill tailor NPC. He can go inside any of my missions. His presence there generates interest in my missions. Anyone with the dilithium can buy the fedora (and this monetizes each fedora.) But people who want the fedora can only get it by finding a mission with a tailor NPC inside of it.

In effect, it's a method that authors can effectively use to buy advertising for their missions.

I'd also like to see more standard vendors included free, like a bartender, a general melee weapons vendor, an EV suit vendor, etc. So that I can have missions that require a kind of item and the means to get that item directly inside my mission.
Career Officer
# 2 Love The Idea!
09-20-2012, 01:46 AM
I think this is quite something, vendor NPC's would be a great way to not only improve players coming into our missions, but also add a base within a mission which players can report back to. can I have a free Fedora ...

to add to your idea of having special dilithium costume items, I was thinking... maybe not exactly add in more costume pieces but allow costumes with the uniform colour palette be able to have the off-duty colour palette. then you could use the Foundry costume editor to create uniform pieces in a colour you'd prefer then add the custom piece to the vendor, the vendor could be set out like the Lobi Store "not actually using Lobis but dilithium like you mentioned" so you can have your mission costume content, plus maybe batteries and so on and so forth... so for us ladies you could create a pink Vice Admiral coat.. that we can only get from your mission vendor.

also, I wanted to add in an idea that I'd like to see, an accolade creator, the accolades them selves probably wouldn't give the 10/20/50/100 accolade points but they could give a max of 5 points? with a custom Icon made by the foundry author in the way we create fleet badges?.

so say... in Nemesischikens "Do'it Duty" there are hidden parts of his mission where you find things, there could be an accolade set for that mission.

RachelJ88

Keep the ideas rolling stoleviathan99

Last edited by rachelj88; 09-20-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Lieutenant
# 3
09-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
This is hopefully somewhat novel. I've seen discussion of selling asset packs to Foundry authors. I could maybe see this IF the packs GENUINELY include big features outside what you'd expect in standard development of STO... like 1920s New York map and kits or Victorian London, along with mob groups that are unique. And, in turn, if these assets are Foundry exclusive for awhile, as in, held off from Cryptic missions.

What I AM thinking of is the idea of selling VENDOR packs to Foundry authors.

I think this is a brilliant idea. It's capitalism in action and would serve the purpose of increasing support to the Foundry tool. If they don't do this, I would be willing to pay $5 for a functioning and good story-making tool.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
09-20-2012, 07:27 AM
I don't think there are enough Foundry authors, let alone Foundry authors who happen to need such specific assets, to justify the cost of making such assets.

No, your best bet is hoping that Cryptic finds a use for such assets in the main game and then ports them over to the Foundry.

@greendragoon
Lieutenant
# 5
09-20-2012, 07:44 AM
If this would get us more assets I would pay, I don't actually pay anything at all right now, as soon as the free to play was announced I stopped my sub and have kept going ever since.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
09-20-2012, 09:26 AM
An interesting idea, and not one I've heard before. I've got a mission where you infiltrate the Mirror Universe, posing as your counterpart. It'd be great to have a vendor who sells the Jupiter uniforms - since that's what the MU mobs wear - so people could have the option to get those if they don't have them already, plus a costume editor guy so they could put the uniforms on.

What I have proposed before is I think they ought to make any c-store unlock a foundry unlock as well. Any new ship or uniform or whatever that comes along, if you buy it for a character, it unlocks in the foundry.

Plus, they could offer asset/map packs. Any new mission that comes out, offer a the assets and maps for authors to use for a few hundred c-points. I'd pay a few c-points to be able to use Nukara Prime or tacofangs' new Romulan outpost. To my mind it would be giving Cryptic return on the dev time necessary to hook those assets/maps up to the Foundry.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
If/when their internal metrics show a significant increase in foundry usage, then they can justify development of specialized foundry assets. However that isnt going to happen until there is a measurable incentive for playing foundry missions, meaning they have to reward people comparably to official content. Until that happens there simply wont be enough people using the foundry to justify specialized asset development.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
09-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthurts View Post
If/when their internal metrics show a significant increase in foundry usage, then they can justify development of specialized foundry assets. However that isnt going to happen until there is a measurable incentive for playing foundry missions, meaning they have to reward people comparably to official content. Until that happens there simply wont be enough people using the foundry to justify specialized asset development.
Hasn't that been their excuse for not developing KDF content? A smaller subset is playing it, so we won't put any resources there. Couldn't an argument be made for, if we support it, if we promote it and if we improve it (rewards, as you suggested, are needed, but that's just one small step) then more people will play it. Essentially, "if you build it, they will come."

That said I think the approach you described is what they will probably go with. But how much interest is enough. The spotlights (Fed side anyway) regularly get 1,000 extra plays in the week they're highlighted. The top missions have upwards of 30,000 plays. What's the threshold? I have a mission that's about to break 1,000 reviews. If it does, is that enough interest for Cryptic to start supporting the Foundry more?
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 09-20-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Hasn't that been their excuse for not developing KDF content? A smaller subset is playing it, so we won't put any resources there. Couldn't an argument be made for, if we support it, if we promote it and if we improve it (rewards, as you suggested, are needed, but that's just one small step) then more people will play it. Essentially, "if you build it, they will come."
Until rewards are added that are comparable to official content to incentivize people to play foundry missions, all of the self promotion in the world wont matter.

Quote:
That said I think the approach you described is what they will probably go with. But how much interest is enough. The spotlights (Fed side anyway) regularly get 1,000 extra plays in the week they're highlighted. The top missions have upwards of 30,000 plays. What's the threshold? I have a mission that's about to break 1,000 reviews. If it does, is that enough interest for Cryptic to start supporting the Foundry more?
I obviously cannot really answer that question. But if you simply want my opinion, I would say it has nothing to do with the number of plays any single mission(or group of missions) gets, but rather with what percentage of the playerbase is using the foundry on a regular basis.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
09-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah that was definitely a hypothetical since I don't know the overall numbers either. I'd love to know them. How many players play Foundry missions out of the whole player base? How many authors are using the Foundry, and out of that how many are actually publishing missions? And at what numbers would Cryptic start paying more attention?

Its all just conjecture until we get a dev answer, and I don't expect to see one.

And what I wish is that all those players didn't have to be given a carrot to play what I think (purely opinion) is the best content in the game. I know that isn't realistic, so I agree they need to get some kind of reward system in place. If they do though, authors had better be ready for a deluge of bad reviews from people who don't understand the limitations of the Foundry.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 09-20-2012 at 02:18 PM.