Starfleet Veteran
Hey all,

I am just curious now the Dev's have fixed Engineering kit switching, anyone know if there is plans to fix the other kit switching?

I do not believe it is fair to take it away from engineers when science and tac can still repeatedly stack their abilities through kit switching.

Is there a fix coming for this?

Just a note: I don't agree with kit switching, it ruins ground pvp, but it's unfair to take this from engineers when every other class is able to do it. I don't personally do it, but still it's a bit of a joke to allow them to continue to get away with this.
Empire Veteran
# 2
09-20-2012, 10:01 AM
When you're under red alert you cant switch. Engineers have the only kit with significant powers you can switch while not under red alert. When a turret is poped it stays for 3 minutes. There is no such power for scis and tacs. So there is no problem with it. It will make some missions a bit harder (but not much) since you won't be able to add a mortar before entering a boss room andto take back your bomb kit after that, and it will balance ground pvp.

Last edited by diogene0; 09-20-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Wasn't aware this needed nerfing. As an Eng, I barely play PvP as it is bc it's unbalanced towards Tac players. The ability to switch kits and maintain kit abilities was one of the few things that allowed be to survive, and I always assumed Tac and Sci's could do the same thing.

Diogene, you are correct, this will bring more balance to PvP: this will push even more Eng's away from PvP, so it will be even more TvT than today. Would be great if they improved kit stats to make up.
Career Officer
# 4
09-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribbleorlfl View Post
Wasn't aware this needed nerfing. As an Eng, I barely play PvP as it is bc it's unbalanced towards Tac players. The ability to switch kits and maintain kit abilities was one of the few things that allowed be to survive, and I always assumed Tac and Sci's could do the same thing.

Diogene, you are correct, this will bring more balance to PvP: this will push even more Eng's away from PvP, so it will be even more TvT than today. Would be great if they improved kit stats to make up.
MMO development is and should be a constant cycle of fixing and breaking things.

First, you remove the exploit. Then, if Engineers are underpowered, you buff them. This happens faster if you can identify the problem.

Personally, I think kits should come with a fifth, passive power. It would allow on the fly rebalancing. It would make any future plans for kit customizing even better.

In general, one thing STO lacks is character defining passives.

Most of the passives we have, everyone has and can get. Most of the character specific stuff (ie. kits) is active abilities.

By adding passives to kits, it opens up a whole new world of balance options. And the least popular classes or kits can get the coolest passives.

Imagine for instance if Engineers got a "charge build up" not unlike the Tholian "explosive discharge" but as a passive. With a variety of flavors like AoE damage after receiving X amount of damage, AoE auto-shield recharge, AoE auto-heal.
Career Officer
# 5
09-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Ground PVP? who plays ground PVP anyway? not to mention the fact turrets are almost useless in ground PVP.
I think this nerf is totally unwarranted? I suspect some tacs must of felt slighted by engineers ground dps. I've been in thousands of ground STF's I've only seen a handful of Engineers switch kits, why nerf it? And if you want to get rid of exploits... how about the exploits of Tac's and Sci's? For instance the endless stacking of Nanite Health Monitor?

Look if you want to change things great, but be fair. A change of this magnitude warrants a free respec for all engineers who have specced to two kits. This was never flagged as an exploit, and has been a common tactic.

I'll use myself as an example. My Fed Engineer "Duggan" has long had near the max of allowed ground points allocated ( at the cost of his space skills) in order to switch kits and take maximum effect of Mines and turrets. Now with this fix I have waisted skill points that are useless in my tree... I'll adjust, I'm not complaining... but a change like this deserves a respec for Engineers across the board.
Captain
# 6
09-20-2012, 01:31 PM
My main is an engineer and I don't care enough about my dps to open a window while I am playing anyway.

Besides if you are a turret person chances are you are lazy anyway, like with a carrier, you let machines fight for you

That being said out of all the things they could have worked on changing the engineer kit is astronomically indifferent, it's not like every stf you walk into with an engi you magically beat the map on autopilot
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
09-23-2012, 10:55 AM
I prefer mines personally , but I still think it's bs that Cryptic have signally targeted the eng's. Back in the day eng was the toon to have...
Captain
# 8
09-23-2012, 11:11 AM
I don't mind this change. As it was, you could actually use two kits, which isn't fair. I do have a problem with sweeping strikes for instance. Why should my character become an expert in martial arts because he is wearing a certain outfit that doesn't look like a pyama at all.