Ensign
Qapla everyone,

This is the first time I've ever posted on the forums, but having followed them for about a year, I feel pretty at home in them. I hope to be reasonably active on them.

I've always played solo because of my erratic work schedule, so the fleet ship update wasn't too great for me. I also play only the klink faction, and basically exclusively pvp cause stfs get so boring after the 100th or so time. In order to keep my console number up to par, I decided to go for a bortasqu tact all cannon build. The five tact. consoles puts me on the top of the scoreboard in most pugs. Here's my build:

4x Mk XII disruptor cannon [acc] [borg]

4x Mk XII disruptor turret [acc] [borg] (I forget off the top of my head what the last mod is for the stf weapons)

borg deflector, borg engine

honor guard shield mk XII

BOFFs:

Tac Ltc: tt1, crf1, apo1

Tact Lt: tt1, crf1

sci lt: He1, TSS2

sci ensign: Tract B1

Engy Com: emps1, emps2, DEM 2, AUX SIF3

I have one blue field generator console mk XI, borg console, 5x disruptor consoles, and 3x damage resistance consoles.

Occaissionally I use a turn rate console or the autocannon.

So that's the build, which leaves me with a question.

In space, my shield level is 12.5k. I always feel squishy in matches, which surprises me when I have so many shield abilities.

Is 12.5k low? Or am I just feeling squishy because when my tact. team is down, I can only give my opponents one shield facing?

I actually think this build is really good, although I've only ever been in PUGs. Mostly I consider myself a reasonably good player, and this is the best build I've ever used. I encourage feedback on the build as I always want to improve.

Thanks all,

chessFan
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-27-2012, 11:01 PM
In my experience 12.5k is average. I've had ships with way more or way less. But in a bortasq, your power doesn't come from your shield, it comes form your hull. Your armor resists should be way up there. That said, shields are needed, because they reduce incoming energy and projectile fire. If you're worried about your shields, get some doffs that decrease Tactical team recharge time. If you can get 3 very rare ones, you'll get a +30 bonus too attack patterns every time you activate it, and the shield distribution should be constant.

But for a bortasq, 12.5k is reasonable. If you really feel nervous, you'd probably have too get a different ship, a carrier most likely. I've gotten my catian carrier into 17k territory.
I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!
Ensign
# 3
09-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the advice about the shields... It was a brand new ship at the time I started the thread and it was very different from my old carrier. I'm much more used to it now. Does anyone have advice about the build. I think it's pretty good and it follow all the "rules" layed out in the stickied build threads, but is there anything I can do to improve it? Should I try the plasmonic leech?
Thanks,
chessFan
A Chess Fan