Commander
Here's the set up. The player has just beamed back to his ship, after a raid on a Klingon compound and is battling for his life with a fleet of Klingon ships, when suddenly an anomaly forms and the player is whisked away to points unknown.

I originally achieved this by placing a reach marker about 20 clicks dead ahead from the spawn point, with an objective stating to reach a planet, also dead ahead. Once the player hits the marker, space goes wonky and the map transfer dialog pops up.

To make the player believe he is under a severe attack, I have a couple weak groups attacking from the rear, camera shakes and explosions, as well as essentially a corridor of battleships lining the path to the marker, just out of attack range. This also serves the purpose of keeping players in line, as to turn and fight leads to a swift death. At least on elite. For the most part, this seems to be "working as intended". (Whoops, did I write that?)

However, on lower ranks and difficulty settings, some players have been turning into the fight and getting confused about what to do.

So I've been trying to come up with someway of bringing on the anomaly and the map change automatically. My first idea was to use a battle timer. (i.e. two groups fight off screen, the conclusion of which triggers the event) This worked, but since the player is mid-battle, if he fires when the map transfer prompt comes up, it disappears and stays hidden until the player can come out of red alert status.

Frankly, I think this is a bit lame. A map transfer dialog should only disappear if the player selects "Not Now".

Anyway, my next idea was to break up the battle by spawning a planet smack-dab in the middle of the battlefield. This also worked. The planet shoves the player the entire radius of the planet and being in the atmosphere of the planet actually played well into the whole anomaly thing. However, it shoves every single one of the enemy fighters to the exact same location. So, all I did was relocate the battle.

Next up, spawn a dozen asteroid debris fields, and hope everyone gets stuck or separated. Again, this actually worked. Somewhat. Sometimes, everyone is stuck and they stop firing, giving the player the chance to click the dialog box, but others, everyone can still "see" each other and the battle rages on.

This would be so incredibly simple if you could just make enemy NPCs disappear, as you can objects. Anyway, after three hours of trial and error, I'm hanging it up for the night. Any suggestions as to how to make this work would be appreciated.
Rihannsu
# 2
09-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Use the giant invisible cubes. To start off, contain the majority of the battle in one, then put another where it will seal off the enemies chasing the player as soon as the player reaches the trigger location.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Invisible walls do not prevent NPCs who are already 'triggered' from following. They sortof wiggle through it. This occurs on ground and space maps.
Career Officer
# 4
09-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazag View Post
Invisible walls do not prevent NPCs who are already 'triggered' from following. They sortof wiggle through it. This occurs on ground and space maps.
I know they "jump" through the walls on the ground, but I haven't seen it happen in space. I've never actually tested it though.

In general the invisible walls also seem to work more reliably in space because you don't have to worry about the player's boffs jumping through and triggering whatever is behind it.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
09-28-2012, 08:28 AM
I just did something similar recently. On the way to the planet, have one or two enemy groups attack. If you have each group tied to a reach marker, it will feel like the groups are attacking you instead of the other way around. The third group, located at the final destination, should be either non-combat NPCs or an enemy group behind an invisible wall. Once the player reaches the final destination, throw up a dialog stating that another wave is about to attack. Trigger your anomaly then.

@greendragoon
Commander
# 6
09-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks markhawkman for giving me a push in the right direction.

What I ended up doing was building a large invisible pen around the battle. Then, when the battle timer triggers the anomaly, it also deploys a grid of some 70+ invisible walls across the battlefield. An extreme measure, but it works great. Everything freezes in place and the battle ends, allowing the player to acknowledge the map transfer dialog.

So now, players can fight, like instinct tells them to and the anomaly just appears out of no where, as it should. No reach marker needed.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
09-29-2012, 09:38 PM
sounds like an awesome foundry mission if i do say so myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Commander
# 8
09-29-2012, 10:55 PM
It's titled "All Things...", and is currently live on the Foundry. If you want to check it out.

I'm curious to see if anyone finds any glitches with the new battle/anomaly sequence. As well as thoughts on the battle itself.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
09-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xapocalypseponyx View Post
It's titled "All Things...", and is currently live on the Foundry. If you want to check it out.

I'm curious to see if anyone finds any glitches with the new battle/anomaly sequence. As well as thoughts on the battle itself.
I'll have to check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Community Moderator
# 10
09-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xapocalypseponyx View Post
Frankly, I think this is a bit lame. A map transfer dialog should only disappear if the player selects "Not Now".
No, no, no, a thousand times no; obtrusive dialogs while in combat are one of the worst things you can have in a game. Every time this game has had any kind of them, it's been a constant source of complaints; in fact the only remaining one, loot rolls, is still a source of complaint despite being nearly universal in the industry.

This is true of every other MMORPG that leaves these monstrosities in place, as well.

Just say "no" to obtrusive dialog windows during combat in games; even modeless ones get people killed, and I can tell you from bitter experience that game client bugs that get people killed result in lost stars in your mission reviews.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google