Career Officer
Hey everyone.

I have toyed around with the Foundry a little, admission that I have made a couple of those clickies strategically placed for my daily dilithium runs, which have since been deleted as I have been wanting to develop some actual content rich stories for people to enjoy. (I hope)

So, my first foray into foundry storytelling I am jumping into the deep end i guess by entering the latest foundry challenge. While I find I am able to do most of what I am trying to do, I am finding some things terribly clunky, and just in general probably need some advice from veteren foundry authors.

If you're willing to tutor a newbie who thinks he has a pretty strong storytelling background, please send me a private message, so we can discuss.

Thanks in advance guys

Seriously , SPECTRES, Episode Six : Whatever Happened to the U.S.S. Reuben James? is gonna rock. (I hope
Captain
# 2
10-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Welcome to the Foundry! Starbase UGC is a great place to get started. Many well-known authors hang out there, and there's a ton of tutorials as well.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Rihannsu
# 3
10-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Um, sure ask away, I'm @marhawkman. In terms of being a vet I'd only give myself a 6 or 7 though.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 4
10-06-2012, 07:26 PM
You might want to also try watching Kirkfat's tutorials. That can help get you up to speed.

Clunky is a pretty good description of a lot of things in the Foundry. It can be pretty powerful if you master the nuances (and learn how to sidestep the shortcomings and/or bugs), but doing that isn't always easy.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 5
10-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Well, I've already watched a bunch of the video tutorial stuff (not sure if it was Kirkfats) and I think I have the basics mastered, and even a couple "tricks" , like placing a bloodwine cup inside of an object to interact with.

Honestly, the one problem I am having is around moving from map to map. At this point I am pretty much ready to just skip the visit through Drozana Station on Cryptic's map.
What I really want is for the player to "beam" out from behind the crates in the hall, and appear on one of my maps. Thus far I cannot seem to make this happen.

Thanks for the replies guys.
@marhawkman, I may well be sending you an email. Do you prefer here on the forums or in game ?
Career Officer
# 6
10-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Are the crates something you can interact with? Just have it be the last objective in the map
Career Officer
# 7
10-07-2012, 12:08 PM
yeah there are two interactable crates. I have set interacting with one as the last objective, and even with my map qued and set up next , when trying to run the mission in the editors test bed, I click the interact , and the mission just stops.
No transport to next map.
Captain
# 8
10-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
yeah there are two interactable crates. I have set interacting with one as the last objective, and even with my map qued and set up next , when trying to run the mission in the editors test bed, I click the interact , and the mission just stops.
No transport to next map.

Do you have an objective on your next map? If not, the mission will stop and not transition. I've had that happen a few times by accident. I may not be a veteran, but I have made a mission, and have 1 as a WIP. Feel free to hit me up. I may not be able to help, but I can certainly try. Either here or on the fleet forum (Stunshock). Or ingame if I'm on.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'

Last edited by grylak; 10-08-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Rihannsu
# 9
10-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Well, I've already watched a bunch of the video tutorial stuff (not sure if it was Kirkfats) and I think I have the basics mastered, and even a couple "tricks" , like placing a bloodwine cup inside of an object to interact with.

Honestly, the one problem I am having is around moving from map to map. At this point I am pretty much ready to just skip the visit through Drozana Station on Cryptic's map.
What I really want is for the player to "beam" out from behind the crates in the hall, and appear on one of my maps. Thus far I cannot seem to make this happen.

Thanks for the replies guys.
@marhawkman, I may well be sending you an email. Do you prefer here on the forums or in game ?
Either's fine.

If you mean crates in the Drozana Social zone, no. you have certain "doors" you can use to transition from Cryptic maps to Foundry.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 10
10-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Either's fine.

If you mean crates in the Drozana Social zone, no. you have certain "doors" you can use to transition from Cryptic maps to Foundry.
That's kind of what I figured sadly.
It will just require some ... minor rewrites.

So, from your own maps then , no doors ? Just transport from whole map ? or do you place doors ?