Captain
# 1 No more excuses
10-11-2012, 10:57 PM
I've been following The Secret World for a while, and Funcom has demonstrated something which sheds some light on the development practices of other developers, including Cryptic.

Playable Content on a regular basis that isn't just some mindnumbing grindfest is one of the big things this community really wants out of STO and yet Cryptic cannot seem to be bothered to deliver it. Meanwhile, Funcome, essentially a small developer like Cryptic, gets cut almost in half with layoffs right after launching The Secret World, and yet they have managed to release THREE content patches in a three month span, with a fourth patch expected before the end of the month. True their second patch got delayed until the latter half of the third month due to the need to restructure the team after the mass layoffs that happened just before it was originally slated to go live. But then a couple of days after launching patch #2, they pushed Patch #3 live, and they did it a couple of days earlier than it ordinarily would have launched, based on the scheduled dates of Patches #1 and #2.

If Funcom can deliver regularly scheduled content packs like that, what is everyone else's excuse. From my perspective, they don't HAVE an excuse, except for maybe that they are not structured for playable content development and deployment on a monthly basis and Funcom is. If that is the case, my question has to be "why not?"

It is a matter of live content development philosophy. If it is based around playable content being produced and released regularly, then that is what will happen. If it is based around fluff item deployment via cash shop and lottery box, then THAT us what will happen. It is what IS happening.

Speaking strictly for myself, I will not spend any real money to buy fluff items. EVER. I will however subscribe to STO again if playable content development and deployment on a regular basis, as in MONTHLYm became a priority to Cryptic/PWE. As it is they will get NO money directly from me because I do not play games for fluff. I play games for PLAYABLE content.

So as far as I am concerned, Funcom has proven that playable content can be released monthly. So other developers have no excuse as to why they cannot produce and deploy their own monthly playable content. No... It isn't that they cannot. They just WILL not.

I'm tired of it. To Cryptic I say give me a reason to spend real money on STO that doesn't amount to some fluff item.
Career Officer
# 2
10-11-2012, 11:04 PM
I certainly feel that with the Foundry use alone they could at least give us a new episode every month which incorporates a couple of new assets or a new planet and map. They could even time the episode with a new C-Store purchase that features in the episode, thus the new episode would theoretically pay for itself, and we would get the feeling of the exploration and expansion of the STO universe as well.

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK
Captain
# 3
10-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish1701 View Post
I certainly feel that with the Foundry use alone they could at least give us a new episode every month which incorporates a couple of new assets or a new planet and map. They could even time the episode with a new C-Store purchase that features in the episode, thus the new episode would theoretically pay for itself, and we would get the feeling of the exploration and expansion of the STO universe as well.
I agree 100%. They do not need to produce featured episode-scaled assets for monthly episodes. Just new stuff for us to do that at least creates the illusion that they have some semblance of a plot going on in terms of galactic intrigue and events...

They themselves can use the Foundry to produce missions. categorize them first in the mission lists so they are easy to find. Let them showcase what the Foundry can do...
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Empire Veteran
# 4
10-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish1701 View Post
Unfortunately; I do NOT view the Foundry as a source of new content. With all the respect I have for all foundry authors etc... I ask myself this - Why should I personally create content in which Cryptic is responsible for, and on top of that NOT get paid for it, or rewarded.

Foundry in essence should remain just that, a sandbox for us players and nothing more. It is not meant to substitute true content from the Devs themselves. Folks want it to be the game content since they know Cryptic is sorely lacking in providing fans of its game true blue content.

When a company states that it cost too much to make new monthly or bi-monthly Featured episodes, that should raise some Red Flags.

Heck the old FE haven't been re-released for replay in a while now, at least to reap their rewards - though in fairness you can play them, just not with their special rewards.

Last edited by stark2k; 10-11-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Rihannsu
# 5
10-11-2012, 11:47 PM
I have never played secret world so i dont know but a few things to consider.

1) its a brand new game, which probably means that this content was made during its development but was not quite read for launch, or even held back deliberately to make the first few months seem content heavy.

2) what is the quality? are we talking FE quality with new maps, new mechanics, enemy groups, a story, loot, or is this nothing more than early wow style missions which are just dropped into existing locations?

3) STO is quite an unusual MMO in that it does not just release mission content. there are a lot of other updates that other mmos dont have or dont use. new ships, the doff system, the foundry, shooter mode, starbases etc. these have their value and their place but they will always detract from mission content to a degree.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 6
10-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
I have never played secret world so i dont know but a few things to consider.

1) its a brand new game, which probably means that this content was made during its development but was not quite read for launch, or even held back deliberately to make the first few months seem content heavy.

2) what is the quality? are we talking FE quality with new maps, new mechanics, enemy groups, a story, loot, or is this nothing more than early wow style missions which are just dropped into existing locations?

3) STO is quite an unusual MMO in that it does not just release mission content. there are a lot of other updates that other mmos dont have or dont use. new ships, the doff system, the foundry, shooter mode, starbases etc. these have their value and their place but they will always detract from mission content to a degree.
1) True.

2) Episodic. Narrative. Voice acted. Lots of good humor and elaborate narrative. The focus is on narrative more than gimmicks but the core mechanics have puzzles and scavenger hunts around city maps built in.

Here's a questline. Two hours. Don't expect you to watch it all:

http://youtu.be/vRjNeNMAuak

3) Agreed somewhat but what SW does is release new powers regularly and more or less TV episode quality questlines. The flipside is that it was expensive to make and Funcom had big layoffs already.
Career Officer
# 7
10-12-2012, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
1) True.

3) Agreed somewhat but what SW does is release new powers regularly and more or less TV episode quality questlines. The flipside is that it was expensive to make and Funcom had big layoffs already.
This is why micro transaction store are ruining MMo's. People in our highly consumption based society would rather trade money for some perceived leg up. ie, not have to play through a game and get to end game stuff faster.

The problem with this is that it instantly devalues your time spent in game, and you no longer get any time spent on actual tried and true playable content. Instead you have made a f2p game more expensive than a subscription based model.

Everything in the game since before conversion to f2p has been focused on the micro transactions, and that is why after almost 3 years, we have had squat for playable content except for a few short FE's.

If this was a normal sub based model, we would have had a expansion by now with 5 times the so called micro store content, and it would have been astronomically cheaper.
Captain
# 8
10-12-2012, 12:15 AM
I played The Secret World for a month and got bored. Sure, it has some interesting quests, including mysteries which take intelligence to solve and complete, but the vast bulk is still "kill x number of monsters, kill boss monster, collect rewards, rinse, repeat". The narrative questlines are good but once you've burned through them, there's nothing to do but grind them again for more xp. And they get old fast. If I wanted to play a game for an interesting story and immersive game world, I'd go single player. The Fallout series comes to mind as far superior games. The Witcher series are better than any Fantasy MMO I've ever encountered. Or Alone In The Dark series if I want to go for a Lovecraftian mystery genre.

The game world is also painfully small. There's no feeling of inhabiting the world itself; you only get to wander a handful of zones. At least in STO flying around the universe is semi-acounted for, via sector space. The crafting system in TSW is utterly lame. There is no real endgame loot to be had. In fact, many players I've spoken to, say there is no real endgame at all. You burn through all the content and then you have nothing to do. At least in STO I can pretend the grindfest of building a Starbase by myself (nearly at tier 3) is an awesome achievement, which it is.

The Secret World tries very hard to market itself as a revolutionary MMO with concepts and features that no other game brings to the table, but fon't be fooled. It's just another grindfest.

Last edited by fulleatherjacket; 10-12-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
10-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
I played The Secret World for a month and got bored. Sure, it has some interesting quests, including mysteries which take intelligence to solve and complete, but the vast bulk is still "kill x number of monsters, kill boss monster, collect rewards, rinse, repeat". The narrative questlines are good but once you've burned through them, there's nothing to do but grind them again for more xp. And they get old fast. If I wanted to play a game for an interesting story and immersive game world, I'd go single player. The Fallout series comes to mind as far superior games. The Witcher series are better than any Fantasy MMO I've ever encountered. Or Alone In The Dark series if I want to go for a Lovecraftian mystery genre.

The game world is also painfully small. There's no feeling of inhabiting the world itself; you only get to wander a handful of zones. At least in STO flying around the universe is semi-acounted for, via sector space. The crafting system in TSW is utterly lame. There is no real endgame loot to be had. In fact, many players I've spoken to, say there is no real endgame at all. You burn through all the content and then you have nothing to do. At least in STO I can pretend the grindfest of building a Starbase by myself (nearly at tier 3) is an awesome achievement, which it is.

The Secret World tries very hard to market itself as a revolutionary MMO with concepts and features that no other game brings to the table, but fon't be fooled. It's just another grindfest.
Most of that applies to STO aside from the story compliments, minus the diversity of settings STO has.

And I think someone who is a fan of the MMO genre kinda has to enjoy grinding to enjoy MMOs.
Empire Veteran
# 10
10-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately sirsitsalot, you are presenting a real problem that is occuriing with Cryptic. They are releasing season 7 that involves a new STF that is Borg related. However; the mood in the forums about the new STF is mixed.

The reason being is that the STFs in STO are a constant Grindfest, and you have many tired and weary Western players that are just that, very tired of the grinding.

For many Eastern players, its a normal thing. Asians Grind until they faint or die, granted not all of them, but thats the style of gameplay they have grown accustom to. Westerners, which STO orginally catered to, are not that dedicated to such means. Now I'm not saying that all westerners don't like to grind.

The current state of the game:

A) The FE have not been repeated, They use to re-release these for replay almost on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. - Now these FE have disappeared from the radar.

B) There is a confusion regarding the term NEW content. - I look at new content in terms of new story arcs and add on's - what is currently offered by Cryptic is akin to an add on of sort but more cosmetic arrangements or additional Grinding modes. Example; Starbases.

In fairness; they did add the Tholian Grind STF of sort - BUT There is no actual story attached to it.

Content for me involves Brand new sectors with many story arcs and adventures.

Mostly all the releases that Cryptic has done involves monetary gain. There are no Projects that benefit players for the sake of gameplay and content. Almost everything that has been recently done involves gaining revenue, and that what saddens me.

I honestly will shell out an additional $50 Dollars for a TRUE Expansion pack - but that will never happen since STO has turned into Star Trek Online Banking.