Career Officer
# 1 Are these maps available ?
10-15-2012, 03:23 AM
Silly question from a new foundry author.
Are the ship interiors such as the ones use on our ships in game available as maps in the foundry ? being able to use the PC type ten Forwards and crew quarters , sickbay, etc would be great.

If not, any suggestions for a workaround ?
"... I really don't care if you try to make money, Cryptic. I do care when you have to insult my intelligence by saying it isn't about money, and use a hot button issue like 'content quality' in order to push that narrative." -Iconians
Captain
# 2
10-15-2012, 05:12 AM
some bridges are. not sure about the lower decks. Ive only ever seen those as custom builds. ive just finished building my deck 8. took a very long time as its my first scratchbuilt map, but i feel it was worth it now i see it complete. now to start sticking people in it.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
10-15-2012, 07:53 AM
To my memory right now, the only 'lower decks' interiors that are available are those for the TOS Connie and the "Belfast" defiant interiors

There are a couple of ground maps that are engineering deck locations, but all of them are smashed up (like the one from war games).

the standard flavor interiors are not available in the editor.
Career Officer
# 4
10-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Don't ask me why the standard interiors aren't available either, as they would be very good set pieces. Too many of the default mission interiors are modified, and also they are mostly from earlier in the game's life when Cryptic didn't seem to make much effort in making the levels actually seem realistic.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 5
10-15-2012, 09:36 AM
The Defiant interior is available? Hmmmm. That gives me ideas.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
some bridges are. not sure about the lower decks. Ive only ever seen those as custom builds. ive just finished building my deck 8. took a very long time as its my first scratchbuilt map, but i feel it was worth it now i see it complete. now to start sticking people in it.
Question..How are you building a scratch built map? I've only seen the option to do that with a space map?
Community Moderator
# 7
10-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonner View Post
Question..How are you building a scratch built map? I've only seen the option to do that with a space map?
I'm no expert, mind you, but this is my understanding based on things I've read...

#1, it doesn't sound like it's easy to do.

You start with a relatively flat outdoor terrain (or a really large interior!). I can't suggest any off the top of my head, but someone else probably can.

You lay a foundation of blocks or platforms and set them at the same elevation to make it level.

The Foundry contains a number of walls, floors, etc that can be pieced together into a building.

You place all of your objects inside this structure, including spawn points.

What you wind up with is an outdoor map that appears to be an interior map.

It's entirely possible to nest structures inside other structures, and to have these structures appear or disappear based on triggers.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 8
10-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Pretty much what Bluegeek said. There are a number of walls and large flat platforms. Simply pick a ground map (Outdoor is probably best for reasons I will explain in a minute) and use the coordinate system to place your objects high up off the ground. I went for a nice round elevation of 50 to make it easy to synch things together. You can then use the platforms as the floor and set your spawn point at the right elevation.

Of course, you have to make sure there are no gaps in your walls/floor, or people can slip through and land on the ground, becoming stuck.

Something I've discovered on mine, I used Starbase Sierra 39 as the basis of my map, as I wanted stars to be visible through the windows. But I can only put spawn points on areas of the map that are vertically above the existing pre made map. So although I can use walls and platforms to get people out to the entire map, my spawn point is somewhat restricted. I think an open ground map, such as risa, would allow you to place your span point anywhere.

It is indeed alot of work, especially if you want to put in all the trimmings, but it is worth it when you get it done.