Starfleet Veteran
Hello, finally got around to getting a t6 ship. Picked this one because i''m an engineer and - It's the Enterprise!

Here's my current build: http://i.imgur.com/WWZVa.png

However, i was hoping for some advice. Genrally the ship preforms ok, but doesn't really do that much damage and is absolutely hopeless against the borg (Once any shield is down, the entire ships going down).

Although an engineer, this is my first cruiser O.o so i would apreciate some advice on how to make it...die less and kill more!

-Thanks
Career Officer
# 2
10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
1) Replace the DBB with another Phaser Beam Array. Then replace two of the torps with two more Phaser Beam Arrays. That'll give you an optimal six-beam broadside. Standardize on one energy type and get another Phaser Relay. Or pick a different energy type, whatever, just keep them all the same.

2) Lose the RCS Accelerators. You're never going to give that ship a decent turn rate, so don't bother trying. Replace them with, probably, neutronium alloy consoles.

3) Keep your shields up, then. Put a couple of Field Generator consoles on. Cycle two copies of EPTS to keep your shield power and resistance high. Use Tac Team's automated redistribution early and often. Since you can only have two tactical powers on that ship, I recommend just TT1 + two conn officer doffs (at least blue quality) who decrease its recharge time. Your second tac power is a matter of preference, but I'd use APB1.

Last edited by futurepastnow; 10-17-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
10-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
1) Replace the DBB with another Phaser Beam Array. Then replace two of the torps with two more Phaser Beam Arrays. That'll give you an optimal six-beam broadside. Standardize on one energy type and get another Phaser Relay. Or pick a different energy type, whatever, just keep them all the same.

2) Lose the RCS Accelerators. You're never going to give that ship a decent turn rate, so don't bother trying. Replace them with, probably, neutronium alloy consoles.

3) Keep your shields up, then. Put a couple of Field Generator consoles on. Cycle two copies of EPTS to keep your shield power and resistance high. Use Tac Team's automated redistribution early and often. Since you can only have two tactical powers on that ship, I recommend just TT1 + two conn officer doffs (at least blue quality) who decrease its recharge time. Your second tac power is a matter of preference, but I'd use APB1.
1.) Ok, the primary reason i've only 3 phaser arrays is because i always assumed going full beams would cause a massive power drain, but thanks anyway i'll give it ago. But i'll think i'll keep the photon launcher, because they frequently land criticals and do a good deal of damage.

2.) True that!

3.)Alright, i'll give that ago too

Cheers!

(Futher suggestions are still welcome, i'd like to try a multitude of setups)
Career Officer
# 4 separate the saucer section
10-17-2012, 11:55 AM
And you could use the battle section as an effective cannon cruiser. 4 single cannons up fron with 4 turrets in back and a cannon rapid fire1. Keep tac team with 2 conn doffs and time your CRF1 in between your enemy's tac team. Spec into thrusters and you'll be able to keep ppl in your forward 180? arc + the RCS console.

While this works the excelsior or Regent are also ships you could use with this set up.
Career Officer
# 5
10-17-2012, 12:08 PM
This is my build. I don't know if it's any good, it seems to work for me, but I should say I don't do much damage... but I know you can't be a tank and do damage.

Tactical Team 1
Fire at Will 2 (Which I may change to an attack pattern).

Power to Weapons 1
Auxiliary to Structural 2
Engineering Team 3

Power to Shields 1
Reverse Shield Polarity 1
Power to Sheilds 3
Directed Energy Modulation 3

Hazard Emitters 1
Transfer Shield Strength 2

Power to Weapons 1

I have 7 beams and 1 photon launcher

Borg set with MACO sheild.

I cycle the Power to Shields and also the Power to Weapons to keep the beam power up, but if I am requiring more defence, I forget the weapon BOFF powers and concentrate on cycling the 2 Power to Shields.

Hope that helps.

(And if anyone wants to comment... please do! I will take any advice.)

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK

Last edited by starfish1701; 10-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Rihannsu
# 6
10-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Your tac. consoles are not good. Put 2 Blue XI phaser consoles, they are cheap of exchange.
You also have no eng. consoles, put Ablative, Tetraburnium and Monotanium consoles. If you don't have lot of EC, buy blue MKXI versions, they are good.
Your sci. console, the 3rd one, is useless, put one more shield console.

I see you already got maco shields and deflector, so you should have some EDCs. Buy Assimilated engines and play Assimilation mission for assim. console.

You could use Shield Distribution/ Projectile and other DOFFs on active space duty.

Post above got a decent BO layout.
Captain
# 7
10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
My advice would be to ditch the Galaxy-R and go with a better cruiser. However if you MUST use that ship, I would say use the following build for maximum damage:

3 BAs 1 Torp Fore AND Aft

Shields: MACO/Borg
Deflector: MACO/Borg
Engine: Borg

Devices:
Subspace Field Modulator, Deuterium Surplus, Red Matter Capacitor (if you have it), Engine Battery

Tac Consoles:
Whatever Energy Type the BAs are (preferably mk XI blue or better, those are pretty cheap to come by on the exchange (except AP), and you can craft em if you really need to)

Engi Consoles:
Saucer Sep Module, remaining slots, put Neutronium Alloy (again, mk XI blue or better)

Sci Consoles:
Assimilated Module, remaining slots Field Generators (again, mk XI blue or better)

Now the bit with the Shields and Deflector? Well that's easy to explain. If you want the Borg Hull proc only, run the MACO Shields and Deflector with the Borg Engines (add in the assimilated module and you'll have the 2 piece set bonus). If you want the shield proc too, Borg Engines and Deflector (add in module, gives you 3 piece set bonus), and MACO shields. And if for some odd reason you want the assimilated tractor beam and your ship to glow green, go with the full borg set.

BOff setup:
Lt. Tac: TT1, BFAW2/APB1/TS2

Cmdr Engi: EPtS1, EPtW2, ET3, Aux2SIF3

LtCmdr Engi: EPtS1, Aux2Bat1, RSP2/Aux2Damp

Ensign Engi: ET1

Lt. Sci: HE1, TSS2 OR TSS1, HE2

DOff:
Conn Officer (purple)x2 (Tactical Team and Buff CD red)
Technician (purple)x1
Damage Control Engineer (purple)x1
Warp Core Engineer (purple)x1

Now for how to use this setup. I basically optimized your limited damage potential with the abilities and tactical consoles available on that ship. Let's face it, the Galaxy Class ships are horrible when it comes to damage output, and since every engi power seems to put every other engi power on CD, the fact you have 3 engi BOffs (ew...) is kind of more of a problem than a good thing.

Naturally half of my listed abilities put the other half on CD (engi), so it's entirely situational as to how you use them. TT1 should be up almost 24/7, BUT ONLY AS LONG AS YOU ARE UNDER ATTACK. If what you're shooting at it is targeting someone else (which is likely due to your low damage output, even with saucer sep) then you don't blow your TT, instead focus on healing whatever is under attack with your TSS, HE, and ET. Aux2SIF is a good quick heal for someone who needs it, and it boosts their damage resistance as well. HOWEVER you also have aux2bat for when you need a little more power to everything else and don't have to heal anything at that time, and Aux2damp for when you need to hoof a little faster and be a tad more nimble than your fat rear normally is. Also it's good torp defense. Lastly, you have your RSP2 as an OH CRAP button that you only mash when you are getting whacked by everything and it's mother and you don't have TT1 + EPtS up.

Also I gave you two sets of EPtS1 so you can keep that buff constantly up, with an EPtW just in case you wanted to buff your damage for a time. But those two should be up almost constantly, which is possible due to the Damage Control DOff I had in place. Also the warp core engineer gives you the possibility of turning even a measly EPtX1 into something stronger than the same EPtX3 (the only catch there being that warp core engis are fkin expensive as hell on the exchange). HE is a big HoT for self use or as a gift to someone else, and TSS is a Shield HoT for either yourself or someone else.

Your tactical abilities are self-explanatory (and alas you only have 2), but I'll just say that APB1 is for 1v1 encounters/big heavy targets, and the BFAW (if you should choose to use it) is just to make lots of noise and get everything to hit you so other more tactically inclined craft can peel them off of you one by one. Which is where your neutronium comes in. That is your defense. That is your shield. That is what keeps you from getting nova'd. Combine that with the 2x field generator (blue mk XI will give you +35% shield cap), you can get your shields up to easily over 10k per facing. So that's 10k shields, and 40k hull, with your hull at roughly 38% resists to everything, you're one tanky SoB (frankly all that ship is good for, no offence).

And the saucer sep is in there for when you need some amusement/get bored with being slow, cumbersome, and unable to do much damage. Hit that, and all of a sudden your lady gets new wings, turns much better, has more damage output, but loses a little of that tankiness.

As for gameplay? That's user's choice. I would recommend you go in and tank everything, and don't expect to get any kills or even do that much damage. Make a lot of noise of course, but your damage output is severely limited by the fact you only have a Lt Tac with 2 tac consoles. Also, you'll be kinda not that great in PvP. Just an FYI. But you will have a lot of survivability, so if you get focused, don't panic. Just remember to keep your TT and EPtS going, and use RSF if you really start to get hammered. Also throw in TSS to add to your beefiness, and you'll be fine. And remember, you have an OH CRAP button in the form of RSP2. Combine that with TSS and you'll get shields that won't go down, instead will get healed, even while you're getting smacked. And if you really need it, you have miracle worker, which is basically an EPtS3 combined with an ET3. Clears all engi debuffs, restores all downed subsystems, BIG shield heal, and moderate hull heal. And a 5 minute cd (go figure).

But I will say this again. You're probably better off getting a different ship. Current meta combined with the massive number of shared CDs on engi powers makes the Galaxy-R not a good ship at all. Tbh, I would have said save your zen and get a regent or one of the oddy's, since they have a far more versatile and balanced BOff layout, and are far more tactically inclined (esp the regent and tac oddy). But since you seem to like the Galaxy Class (I am rather fond of her myself), try out this build, see if it works.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 8
10-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Still say you shouldn't use this ship. Period.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Lieutenant
# 9
10-17-2012, 10:58 PM
In my view as an engineer you should be running 8 beams, as we have the luxury of eps transfer, nadion inversion and batterys, whereas a tac flying this machine doesnt.

It also means you can load all of one dmg type into the tact consoles, rather than having to add a photon console in there too

Just my thoughts
Ensign
# 10
10-18-2012, 02:49 AM
Kudos on sticking with it despite the ship's limitations. Always nice seeing varity in STFs.