Empire Veteran
# 1 Sniper rifle speedup
10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Having done a lot of ground lately,
I find that the sniper rifles special attack is significantly to slow compared to other weapons special/secondary attack. They are all nearly instant while the sniper takes several seconds.
In fact it takes so long that enemies that are running up to you are pretty much up in your face during the time the attack preps. Or the other way, just run up to the enemy and pulsewave his face off is quicker then shooting him with the sniper.

So i would like to see the secondary attack prep time be reduced to get it more in line of the requirements in ground combat.

-= ISE: 12:19 -=- CSE 12:41 -=- KASE 11:59 -=- HSe 8:06 total =-
-= KAGE 5:43 =-
[7:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Disruptor Banks - Overload II deals 123086 (41096) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
10-21-2012, 01:51 PM
It is the short side of being able to shot at pretty much anything outside their firing range...
Career Officer
# 3
10-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Not to mention a sniper attack on an expose is pretty much the most powerful player attack there is.

Besides, the TOS Phaser Rifle's Secondary Attack is the same as a sniper rifle (though weaker) and it's far faster in activation.
Republic Veteran
# 4
10-21-2012, 03:44 PM
If you're close enough that they can run up to you in that period of time, then you're using the sniper rifle wrong. You're supposed to use a sniper rifle for... sniping... It's not supposed to be a close range weapon. You use it to take out as many of the enemies as you can at extreme range, and then when they get close enough, switch to a higher DPS, closer range weapon.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
10-21-2012, 09:19 PM
The High Density Beam Rifle's "sniper" shot is just as slow.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Career Officer
# 6
10-21-2012, 11:37 PM
You're supposed to send your BOff's in to fight, while you stay back to 'Snipe'...

Unfortunately, as soon as you snipe the first enemy, they all tend to run toward you, not your BOff's.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Community Moderator
# 7
10-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
It is the short side of being able to shot at pretty much anything outside their firing range...
Bingo, low DPS, high burst damage, much as it should be.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Captain
# 8
10-22-2012, 06:01 AM
i kinda agree. while it is a nice weapon how it is, i think maybe some time needs to be taken off the prefire of the sniper shot..

like many have said, by the time the gun shoots what you are aiming at is usually dead..

but then i tend to only use the sniper on bosses and they dont die so quickly.

the sniper riffle isnt meant to be an all around gun..

you really need 1 or 2 more weapon slots.. or being able to switch while in combat.. thats a real issue.