Ensign
# 1 Branching Story?
10-21-2012, 05:48 PM
I know how to do simultaneous objectives, but is there a way to make the story branch, even loop, like in the dialogue editor? I was hoping to be able to put little side adventures into some of my rp sets, also make settings where people can go 'in and out' of different maps as often as they like.

It would also be useful to make 'good ending, bad ending' missions.
Captain
# 2
10-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malivar View Post
I know how to do simultaneous objectives, but is there a way to make the story branch, even loop, like in the dialogue editor? I was hoping to be able to put little side adventures into some of my rp sets, also make settings where people can go 'in and out' of different maps as often as they like.

It would also be useful to make 'good ending, bad ending' missions.
From my experience the only real way that you can do multiple endings is with multiple dialogues. There are lots of little things, from choices of enemy and even choices of direction, but the bottom line is: the last thing in the storyboard has to apply to every path taken. And almost everything that is really optional happens outside of the storyboard with triggers and invis objects, etc.

The story will always basically be a linear collection of maps, with some ingenious workarounds that constantly fight with the storyboard, while confusing the player because of a lack of way points, etc.

Some folks pull it off, but they are really fighting with every limitation along the way. They have to eventually hide the nature of what the player is doing.

Last edited by kirksplat; 10-21-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Anything optional MUST be done outside of the story tab. The story tab is built so that it can only be linear: you must transition to Map 1, do objective A, then objective B, then transition to Map 2, etc.

If you want to make a "side quest" you have to do it using map dialogue, that being the little dialogue bubble you can drag onto the map in the maps tab. The nice thing about it is that you can trigger things to happen based on what dialogue choices are made. This only works using map dialogue. It doesn't work using the pop-up dialogue you can add using the story tab.

So you can do some non-linear storytelling, but you can't have it show up as an "objective."

You can also cheat your way to some branching storylines, but it remains quite limited.

For example, you go to map one, and present the player with two hallways to go down. Keep in mind, no matter what path they take the player must end up in the same place because there can only be 1 way to go to the next map.

However, using map dialogue set to go off on a reach marker, you can have people say different things to the player depending on which hallway they go down. You can have different enemies spawn based on how they respond in that dialogue. Etc. You can even close things off so if they go down one hallway, they cannot go down the other.

Just remember, they have to end up at the same spot. What I like to do is set a reach marker at the end of the map, and have that be the only objective, with the objective text telling the player "Make your choice and get to the turbolift" or some such.

The player's choices do not extend beyond one map, unless you ask them to make that choice again.

So you transition to map two, and say you want different enemies to spawn based on which hallway the player went down. So at the beginning of map two, you have a map dialogue that asks the player "Did you go down the left or the right hallway?" You put down one type of enemy, set them to become visible on "dialogue prompt reached" and set it to one of the choices in the introductory dialogue, and put down another set of enemies and tie them to the other choice. The most important thing here becomes this: do not set those enemies to a kill objective. Make sure not to set them to an objective of any kind.

This is probably as clear as mud, so good thing I made a video tutorial a while back. It's in two parts, but both can be found in this post at Starbase UGC:
http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...deck-to-go-to/
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 4
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
It'd also be nice if we could use dialogue triggers from other maps... but AFAIK the game doesn't remember those.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Ensign
# 5
10-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Lame, I realize the original intent may have been to prevent non-completable missions, but the dialog editor requires at least one successful path, so I don't see why a similar architecture couldn't be applied to the storyboard portion. There are at least two applications that I can think of off the top of my head that I won't be able to do in the foundry until they alter they alter that, if that ever happens.

1) A custom ship interior that allows you to go back and forth between different decks, can do to some extent with duplicated maps, but there will always be an extremely finite number of times you can go between decks and and you will have to go to the decks in a specific sequence instead of directly to whichever you intend to head for. Also, the map duplication bug that takes a long time to fix if you have a lot of objects in a map makes this approach extremely problematic.

2) Storylines that branch and either have side missions to other maps and back to the one you left, or lead to alternate endings.
Rihannsu
# 6
10-22-2012, 08:12 PM
I suspect it might be a feature they never got around to adding.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.