Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Lieutenant
Is STO becoming too easy? Do "casual players" keep STO in business? Is everyone a "Jedi"? (sorry, I mean Captain Kirk, Picard, Sisko, etc.)

I don't like to rush to judgment, but this sounds a little like the mistake that killed Star Wars Galaxies.

Too easy is boring.
Career Officer
# 2
10-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipag View Post
Is STO becoming too easy? Do "casual players" keep STO in business? Is everyone a "Jedi"? (sorry, I mean Captain Kirk, Picard, Sisko, etc.)

I don't like to rush to judgment, but this sounds a little like the mistake that killed Star Wars Galaxies.

Too easy is boring.
There are some 'interesting' paralells.

Star Wars Galaxies: Players who wished to play a Jedi character had to first unlock their Jedi slot by fulfilling an unknown list of criteria. The first player to unlock a 'Jedi slot' did so on November 7, 2003, four months after the release of the game. Players criticized Sonly Online Entertainment for the substantial time commitment to unlock a Jedi.

Said changes were later admitted to be “stupid decisions”.

Now, with STO we have a very similar scenario forthcoming - a slight reword of the above:

STO: Players who wished to obtain the Omega gear had to first unlock their equipment by fulfilling an unknown list of criteria that took several months. Players criticized PWE for the substantial time commitment to unlock this equipment.

And this is WITHOUT factoring in the dilithium cost!

Sad really - doesn't seem as if the mistakes that failed one MMO are anything that STO's dev's are willing to learn from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.

Last edited by reyan01; 10-25-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-25-2012, 05:34 AM
To OP: Get serious.
Something will cost dil is not a case of something REDUCED.
Captain
# 4
10-25-2012, 05:53 AM
They mean on Average. For example I got both Mk XII sets in less than 50 runs in each STF, while i have 3 more shield protypes in bank.

But there are people who did hundreds of runs and did not get it.
Republic Veteran
# 5 Drops
10-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Im in two different fleets each around 500 players.

I have not heard of anyone on flleet chat or voice chat complain about the lack of drops.

Everyone knows that you need to do them until you get what you want.

What i do see is a few people in the forums asking for "guarantee of access to benefits."

Its called Entitlement its the new buzz and now its part of the STO Game Mechanics.

My view is people dont want to learn ground thats harder than space or/and dont want to do the missions until they get what they want.

Last edited by blakes7tvseries; 10-25-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakes7tvseries View Post
Its called Entitlement its the new buzz and now its part of the STO Game Mechanics.
It may be a part of the game mechanics, but is called either gambling or grinding. Or both.
Captain
# 7
10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
i got the maco mk xii shields and deflector in the first 2 weeks of playing elite stf's , the engines on the other hand took me over 4 months . started to do the elite ground and got the maco mk xii armor within a week , still wanting the rest and will have to grind for 60 days or what ever it is for them in the new system
Ensign
# 8
10-25-2012, 09:36 AM
You want it so people can eventually get the item guaranteed?

I'll fix it for you! At 100 runs accolade for infected you get 1 elite shield requisition along with the accolade. FIX'd!

But nooo, that's not the real reason for the reputation system.. even though they keep saying it is.
Lieutenant
# 9
10-25-2012, 10:55 AM
The goal unfortunately appears (for now) to be minimal work so that many people are in a position to buy XII.

I don't mind the new dilithium costs, the willingness to spend money is not the same as the desire to put everything in the game for sale.

This is coming from the perspective of someone who buys basically everything in the cstore, including all 5 lockbox ships. It's fun to have a purpose for them.

The current XII holodeck drop rate is clearly around 5%, how hard is that really?

Last edited by philipag; 10-25-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 10
10-25-2012, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't care if everyone was wandering in Mk XII if we had a challenging endgame content. The new reputation powers will make STFs boring. Now you don't even need to be good at it to get the prestige sets, you just need to step in a mission where good players will do the work for you in infected space elite.

Where's our challenge? Why releasing even more armors, weapons, sets, active and passive powers if we have no *interesting* place to use them?

We need a champion/nightmare mode or new truely challenging missions requiring excellent gaming skills and the best available gear...