Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 1 Season 7 Dev Blog #9
10-25-2012, 01:00 PM
The Federation News Service report contained in this entry of the Season 7 News Dev Blog series reveals information about the Romulans search for a new homeworld.

Link to the blog.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 2
10-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
The Federation News Service report contained in this entry of the Season 7 News Dev Blog series reveals information about the Romulans search for a new homeworld.

Link to the blog.
Wish you guys had the "Federation News Network" in-game. I mean you don't have to write new fiction every week, you could just put some words around random PvP match results or random character promotions. e.g.

1) "A Starfleet task-force comprised of the USS x, USS y, USS z, USS a and USS b successfully defended Federation assets in the Neutral Zone on Starbase 12345.67. Captain [Highest scoring player on winning team] won particular praise for his/her bravery"

2) "Chancellor J'mpok today approved the promotion of [random set of players] to the rank of Brigadier General. The warriors demonstrated exceptional honour and skill at arms."
Career Officer
# 3
10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
Wish you guys had the "Federation News Network" in-game. I mean you don't have to write new fiction every week, you could just put some words around random PvP match results or random character promotions. e.g.

1) "A Starfleet task-force comprised of the USS x, USS y, USS z, USS a and USS b successfully defended Federation assets in the Neutral Zone on Starbase 12345.67. Captain [Highest scoring player on winning team] won particular praise for his/her bravery"

2) "Chancellor J'mpok today approved the promotion of [random set of players] to the rank of Brigadier General. The warriors demonstrated exceptional honour and skill at arms."
I really like this idea... I think it could also give a nod to directing news specific about the players fleet as well,,, I've looked at the Fleet News stuff... once... made no impact an moved on...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Rihannsu
# 4
10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Poor D?Tan, J'mpok will kill him on the steps of the Great Hall.
Captain
# 5
10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonytevilo View Post
Poor D?Tan, J'mpok will kill him on the steps of the Great Hall.
Personally I hope so. This is not the Romulans I know or desire. Everything about the Romulans surrounds their marshal history.

"By the 24th century, the government of Romulus is dependent upon the Tal Shiar, the Romulan Secret Police, to maintain order and stability among both civilians and the military. The Tal Shiar is known for its brutal tactics, which include routine kidnapping, torture, and assassination. Many Romulans fear even expressing dissenting opinions as not to spark the interest of the Tal Shiar. There also seems to be some degree of tension between the military and the Tal Shiar.

Romulan society is based upon a highly structured caste system. Unlike most of the highly evolved species in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, Romulans still practice slavery, and frequently use conquered races for forced slave labor and shock troops.

Romulans tend to be highly xenophobic, engaging in extended periods of isolationism, and can be perceived as outright racist to other species, believing themselves to be superior. At least some Romulans believe that one day the Romulan Empire will rule the entire galaxy.

Romulan society does not appear to be gender biased. Both males and females command warships, can obtain high political positions and can be members of the Tal Shiar."

I'm sorry, but somewhere down the line Cryptic have super-imposed the Cardassian Depata Council post-Dominion storyline over that of the Romulan.

They could have come up with something a little more original that "Please feed me."

If anything, one of the following would have fitted into the storyline:

A Romulan-Cardassian alliance would be more plausible, given that they aided one another during the Battle of the Omarion Nebula, and given that the Cardassian True Way are themselves trying to return Cardassia to militaristic rule.

The Klingon Empire cannot abide weakness. They would have launched at full scale attack against the Romulans when they were at their weakness not sent diplomats!

The Romulans efforts to subjugate the Reman's would have intensified. This makes the Remans appear on equal footing to the Romulans. They are not, and their own planet was also destroyed making them even weaker.

The Federation I could see living-up to the humanitarian effort.

This was a HUGE PvP opportunity, that Cryptic has failed to capture on. HUGE.

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 10-25-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Career Officer
# 6
10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
Personally I hope so. This is not the Romulans I know or desire. Everything about the Romulans surrounds their marshal history.

"By the 24th century, the government of Romulus is dependent upon the Tal Shiar, the Romulan Secret Police, to maintain order and stability among both civilians and the military. The Tal Shiar is known for its brutal tactics, which include routine kidnapping, torture, and assassination. Many Romulans fear even expressing dissenting opinions as not to spark the interest of the Tal Shiar. There also seems to be some degree of tension between the military and the Tal Shiar.

Romulan society is based upon a highly structured caste system. Unlike most of the highly evolved species in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, Romulans still practice slavery, and frequently use conquered races for forced slave labor and shock troops.

Romulans tend to be highly xenophobic, engaging in extended periods of isolationism, and can be perceived as outright racist to other species, believing themselves to be superior. At least some Romulans believe that one day the Romulan Empire will rule the entire galaxy.

Romulan society does not appear to be gender biased. Both males and females command warships, can obtain high political positions and can be members of the Tal Shiar."

I'm sorry, but somewhere down the line Cryptic have super-imposed the Cardassian Depata Council post-Dominion storyline over that of the Romulan.

They could have come up with something a little more original that "Please feed me."

If anything, one of the following would have fitted into the storyline:

A Romulan-Cardassian alliance would be more plausible, given that they aided one another during the Battle of the Omarion Nebula, and given that the Cardassian True Way are themselves trying to return Cardassia to militaristic rule.

The Klingon Empire cannot abide weakness. They would have launched at full scale attack against the Romulans when they were at their weakness not sent diplomats!

The Romulans efforts to subjugate the Reman's would have intensified. This makes the Remans appear on equal footing to the Romulans. They are not, and their own planet was also destroyed making them even weaker.

The Federation I could see living-up to the humanitarian effort.

This was a HUGE PvP opportunity, that Cryptic has failed to capture on. HUGE.
Did you miss one of the earlier Dev Blog posts? The Tal'Shiar is still out there. The rest of the Romulan Empire is descending into chaos and civil war as each faction tries to claim the now empty throne of the Empress. These romulans are but a small portion trying to break away from the rest and do something new. They've reached out to the Remans, yes, but that is probably equal parts pragmatism (there's a chance the Remans would go after them as "soft" targets) as it is out of genuine desire to reconcile with them.

On the subject of the Klingons sending diplomats though? Yeah, that's not J'mpok's style, but a lot of the lore we see seems to suggest that J'mpok is beginning to lose support amongst the great houses and this might be something done out of political necessity rather than any real desire to be diplomatic on his part. He's rash, hot-headed, and probably an Undine in disguise, but he's not stupid.
Captain
# 7
10-26-2012, 04:26 AM
Quote:
i really have grown to hate JJ abrams for destroying the romulans, this game would be much more interesting with them as strong as they ever were.
JJ didn't destroy them, cryptic did. the feds have 250 odd members, we've seen dozens if not hundreds of human colony worlds, and it would be unfair to presume most fed races don't have a similar number, (or that their aren't an even larger number of mixed worlds). The federation easilly has 10K inhabited world, posssibbly over a 100K. Even accounting for the more war like nature of the romulans there is simply no way a ace who's main and onyl significant population and industrial centre was limited to just one world could have participaited in the dominion war as a significant ally to the federation, let alone the equals they where treated as.

Fact is in reality romulous going boom would have made a mess of their political system and have ben a morale blow par excellance. But the kind of damage needed to tottally destroy the romulan star empire as a meiningful and powerful force was tottally beyond it. 99.95 of their industry and military capabilities would have been REQUIRED to be off world for the romulons to be as powerful as we know them to be.
Captain
# 8
10-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
I really like this idea... I think it could also give a nod to directing news specific about the players fleet as well,,, I've looked at the Fleet News stuff... once... made no impact an moved on...
Let me understand this.

You think that news functionality that will take an enormous developer resources is really something to desire given the current lack of content?

You would rather read arbitrary, repetitive, and 100% pointless lists of people & SB-related information that makes absolutely no impact to gameplay whatsoever?
Career Officer
# 9
10-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
Let me understand this.

You think that news functionality that will take an enormous developer resources is really something to desire given the current lack of content?

You would rather read arbitrary, repetitive, and 100% pointless lists of people & SB-related information that makes absolutely no impact to gameplay whatsoever?
I don't know if we can quantify the "enormous developer resources"... I just think its a decent idea that the poster had... and think that making it specific to theplayers fleet (should they belong to one) is a pretty decent idea. Given the fact that some of the news is already captured... i don't think we are talking about a extraordinarily large amount of time. So yes, I find it desirable. It enhances game play, gives members something to shoot for, etc.

Don't under estimate the "I want my name up in lights" as being a motivator... why else would they post the PVP results... so we can look and be proud of being number 1, killing the most people, staying alive, healing people) etc.

Lets talk about lack of content for a second... can we all, for one moment, agree that no matter how much content is released... there will always be a "lack of content" issue. There is no way Cryptic (alone) can keep up... even with new content every week.

We, as a player base (at least on the forums) are a pretty demanding bunch. If a new mission comes out, it will entertain us for what... a week on the outside before we are bored and demanding more content? Within days of new content being released (hell minutes here on the forums) there will already be ney-sayers, and boo-boo lips, pouting over how they finished the new content, and are already bored.... now what... Heck, I've already had my fill of Into the Hive on Tribble..

There are two ways out of the content issue:

1) Open ended content... which essentially translates to open pvp for territory/holding/asset control that changes with who is logged in.

2) Take advantage of the Foundry... I know its been said many times (with both cheers and jeers)... there are some extremely talented Foundry authors out there that have come up with missions that I think are pretty darn close to being Feature Episode quality... granted no cut scene's etc... There are missiosn that fit all types of game play style (Heavy combat to heavy dialog). Give these people more assets to work with... let them assist with content, while development can then focus on mechanics.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Captain
# 10
10-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
I don't know if we can quantify the "enormous developer resources"... I just think its a decent idea that the poster had... and think that making it specific to theplayers fleet (should they belong to one) is a pretty decent idea. Given the fact that some of the news is already captured... i don't think we are talking about a extraordinarily large amount of time. So yes, I find it desirable. It enhances game play, gives members something to shoot for, etc.

Don't under estimate the "I want my name up in lights" as being a motivator... why else would they post the PVP results... so we can look and be proud of being number 1, killing the most people, staying alive, healing people) etc.

Lets talk about lack of content for a second... can we all, for one moment, agree that no matter how much content is released... there will always be a "lack of content" issue. There is no way Cryptic (alone) can keep up... even with new content every week.

We, as a player base (at least on the forums) are a pretty demanding bunch. If a new mission comes out, it will entertain us for what... a week on the outside before we are bored and demanding more content? Within days of new content being released (hell minutes here on the forums) there will already be ney-sayers, and boo-boo lips, pouting over how they finished the new content, and are already bored.... now what... Heck, I've already had my fill of Into the Hive on Tribble..

There are two ways out of the content issue:

1) Open ended content... which essentially translates to open pvp for territory/holding/asset control that changes with who is logged in.

2) Take advantage of the Foundry... I know its been said many times (with both cheers and jeers)... there are some extremely talented Foundry authors out there that have come up with missions that I think are pretty darn close to being Feature Episode quality... granted no cut scene's etc... There are missiosn that fit all types of game play style (Heavy combat to heavy dialog). Give these people more assets to work with... let them assist with content, while development can then focus on mechanics.
I'm a Software Developer and it is an enormous effort. The Dev, UI customisations, scripting, FAT, DB, etc.

As to your other points I heartedly agree.

I have always hoped that the really good Foundry missions could find their way into a database somewhere, and be tagged for planets and systems. Then when you travel to a planet, you can select the mission, and these are randomly generated from the Foundry.

Open PvP + territory control - Thumbs-up!

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 10-25-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Closed Thread